What's new

When you run into other detectorists.......

3yrs past, I was driving past a park I have had exceptional finds. Just so happens my family home is only miles away and I know these grounds well. I was so happy to see another detectorist, I turned around, parked and talked w him. He was also happy to talk. After an hour of conversation, I realized, he was born in same area, and knew much more history of area than I. Not only did we have this conversation, but he pointed me to a site across the street where a military institute once stood. The site is soooo vast, I posted ads on local web sites for help.
I received comments asking why I was "giving up" my site. Those were the folks who will never enjoy such an unbelievable site.
A simple conversation does still mean much.
Peace
 
I've met some really good people detecting. I have had police officers stop and talk with me after first telling me that I am not in trouble. Usually they are curious as to how to detect,

Big picture is that 99% of the people I run into are friendly or wanting to probe me to find out if I have permission, basically simple questions, but then I have the 1% which has an attitude for whatever reason.
 
I've met some really good people detecting. I have had police officers stop and talk with me after first telling me that I am not in trouble. Usually they are curious as to how to detect,

Big picture is that 99% of the people I run into are friendly or wanting to probe me to find out if I have permission, basically simple questions, but then I have the 1% which has an attitude for whatever reason.

I agree. ALL the police who have checked on my detecting activities, and there have been several, have been exceptionally friendly. One told me they get calls all the time from people who don't know what we're doing out there. Once they told me they had to come talk to me because someone thought I had something radioactive that might harm the kids. Another reported me for sabotage of railroad tracks. After their first introduction, they were nearly always more curious about the detector than anything I was doing with it.

A few years ago there was a show in tv about a guy, in Mexico I think, who said he had detected gold and dug a hole SIXTY FEET DEEP! A couple days after the airing of this show, a couple policemen approached me just to ask if it were possible to find something that deep. I told them most of my finds are less than six inches, and maybe a little over a foot if it's a buried Buick.
 
A smile and a nod or wave should be all it takes. You have got to treat them like they're on the job. Many guys only have a short window when they can actually detect so let them be and chat on TNet!
 
a kinship yes, I am cordial,interested,curious and in the end I am going my way as usually is the other detectorist. Why? we all have a destination in mind, and its usually alone. I like my detecting time on my own, I wander, daydream and yes even get some detecting done, also I like to go at my own pace and it changes like the wind. When I first started I thought a partner would be nice, a mentor, but soon I think we all come to realize this is pretty much a solo gig. Am I a loner, could be, and I do not really care, however if we meet I will say hi, hows it going, wheres the silver, and last one to find the gold is a rotten egg.lol Happy hunting to all in this year of 2014 hope to see you out there, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
I've only ever run in to other detectorist in area's where an old town was "beautifying" *ie messing everything up* the town. There were a few clubs in one area in particular *ended up joining one for a bit* so I made a few friends. Only bad experience there was one "mooch" whom I took on for a short time as a detector buddy. Over all in the last 20 years the few wilder's I've come apon tend to keep to themselves and a couple have even packed up and left just because I got outta the car with my detector. Only two or three times have any other detectorists come up to chat and mostly about what I've been finding... standard answer is "Pennies and a few Dimes".

As to non-detectorists, ie kids, nosy neighbors, police, park personell and the like its always been pretty cool. I dress decient and work like a person who belongs were I'm at so generally it goes well. Kids can be annoying and if they are to thick I'll just pack out. Everyone wants to see what I've found and for many its all about the gold. Hahh, the standard answer there is again Pennies and trash *even pop a pull tab occasionally to prove it* along with a standard answer that its highly unlikely I'll find any gold. For the persistent ones, usually kids, they want to see whats in my apron pocket~ that answer is always "What goes in that pocket does not come out" but I'll show them the trash pocket. Hehh hehh its usually full of a big turn off to them.
I've even had people throw coins at me or deliberately drop them in my path thinking I didn't see them. I'm never to rich to pick a penny so the jokes on them. *grin*
 
I was just wondering what everyone's take is on bumping into other detectorists, because a few weeks ago I was detecting some houses where they were tearing down and tried to speak to a guy who was doing some detecting and he didn't seem very friendly at all or even wanting to speak to me.

When I see someone detecting my first thoughts are "geez more competition", but then I kind of like it because I am a little competitive anyway. I always try and speak to other detectorists and see how they are doing. I think that we are a rather small circle because we are willing to invest the time and money into this hobby and I meet a lot of people that want to do it, but won't invest. With this, I feel a certain kinship toward other treasure hunters.

Same here I always try, Even IF I'm not detecting at the moment,
I try to pull over & approach them.

Been rare but know what you mean , I had one or 2 over the years who acted like I was
in the way talking to them, so I made it short & left with a "good luck"
 
Same here I always try, Even IF I'm not detecting at the moment,
I try to pull over & approach them.

Been rare but know what you mean , I had one or 2 over the years who acted like I was
in the way talking to them, so I made it short & left with a "good luck"

Ironic that you say that, Hitting GP beach, I always run into a Father and Son Duo MD'ing (son always rakes), I ran into the dad's brother in law and he stated to me he has heard about my recent success ??????? and asked me to join the local club....I am kind of skeptical....Maybe a T'nutter?
 
This is the man who has found it all................ old-man-metal-detector-27091932.webp
 
Generally I don't notice them unless they're wearing a bikini.
 
I have a fake 8 reale and escudo I pull out of my pocket when folks ask me if I found anything...lol
 
I have gone with other people detecting but have to say that I have never come across another person when I was out detecting. :dontknow: We all hunt different ways and places is my guess.
 
I am always on the lookout for enemy tecterist dudes and ladies :happy3: I dont run into other detectorists it would be like running into a fox but when I see em I bee line it right up to em:walk:and chat it up like a sunday preacher I wanna know what in thee hail dem bastages are doing tectin my frikin turf and what ther finding :sad5: And I wanna check our ther tecter too :icon_scratch:. Then almost invariably I make a new friend and I get invited to go with them to their hot spot like tomorrow. :occasion14: Long ago I had another tecterist sneak up behind me in the woods and he yelled Hey! and scared the bujeezus out of me :angry1: we are good friends now after twenty years. But I wont bring him to my spots :icon_pirat:
 
Me and Gunsil yesterday on our way to hunt a 1700's house or what was left of it, saw a guy swinging and digging in a school yard. We pulled up and asked what he has found. Well, he was digging up a school field with a full fledged shovel, given the area we hunt and the skeptical view of MD'ers, we instructed him that using a shovel was a good way of getting kicked off the school yard. A good deed of the day..
 
Me and Gunsil yesterday on our way to hunt a 1700's house or what was left of it, saw a guy swinging and digging in a school yard. We pulled up and asked what he has found. Well, he was digging up a school field with a full fledged shovel, given the area we hunt and the skeptical view of MD'ers, we instructed him that using a shovel was a good way of getting kicked off the school yard. A good deed of the day..

Idiots like that will eventually criminalize the entire hobby! :censored:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom