What's new

When you run into other detectorists.......

The warm fuzzy feeling is from the beer Terry! Lol!

I talk to other MD'ers in the field, just don't want to chat too long unless I'm leaving I have limited MD'ing time. No problems so far.
Chatted with a Little MD'er I met in the field he was 6, his mom's eyes got real wide when I told him if he was finding nickels he could find jewelry! Then thought "what did I just do?"

Muckybottles- I won't gawk or ask you a 1000,000,000 questions if I see you in the field, K.

I try and be nice to kids, but I am very careful not to be too outgoing with them. I was detecting a playground last year and the kids took turns digging with me, but when I turned around, one of them was hacking trees with my Sampson and throwing pea gravel out from around the kid pits, and I had to go back and fill all his holes. I now try and avoid kids, but will entertain them a little bit, if they come around me. I like kids, but too many times I had a detector in one hand and felt like I was baby sitting at the same time.
 
I had an young employee of mine in the military that had duel citizenship with both the US and Honduras. She impressed the Hades out of me with her maturity and her desire to go back to Honduras and do some good. Her family was kind of connected and it was interesting how she told me how last names mean so much in the wayon how well a family is respected in Honduras.

There's a lot of old Spanish families here, though few are now of pure Spanish extraction. Some families have lived in the same area for generations, so their name means a lot among the locals. Before I came to Honduras I was told I would have a tough time because I'm an outsider. Once the word got around that I was married to "la hija de Don Napoleón y Ventura", I was welcomed with open arms, and now I feel as much a part of the family as my own in the US.
 
I only saw other people detecting on beaches and they seem to busy to want to stop and talk, just a quick hello. I never saw anyone in the woods detecting. I never detected parks or school yards too much, but never met up with anyone there when I did. Has anyone ever crossed paths with The Great One Rick Savage detecting ? I wonder what that conversation would be like ?
 
Some people my brother and I see while detecting are friendly, and some are not. We have seen some that wanted to know how our detector worked, because they weren't finding much with theirs. Sometimes we have had kids follow us around to see what we were finding, but we have never had any problems with them.
 
I have met a lot of detectorists in the field. Generally they have all been conversant and polite. I talk to them as if I've known them for years. I do that because I want to know if I can learn something from them and the only way to do that is leave the door open for them so to speak. Most that have approached me have been doing this longer than me, so, it's not like I am going to outwit and out-find the half of them...they're probably humoring themselves by seeing what the sapling rookie knows...or doesn't. I have yet to meet a territorial snob...hope I never have to. But everyone I think has their own personal degree of defense in the field too...to establish themselves around others. It's just that some have their elbows out and shoulders up a little more than the rest. It's okay, I just keep it short and let them pass. If I myself approach a detectorist, a decent chat always ensues. Then, I ask them if they mind if I swing my coil in the area. I don't butt them out, I just go a good distance away from them so as not to threaten them.
 
OK, here's a different one! I was on the beach in O.C. Maryland. A groupe of several well adorn good looking early teeagers started following me. They kept getting closer when I found something. Finally one "bumped" into me. I decided it was time to take a break and went to the board walk. Sitting there with a two way radio was a guy watching the girls. Another guy with a two way radio contacted him. It sounded like it was some kind of sting operation. I left.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While detecting, same area, another day, I noticed a guy kind of 'shadowing' me. This was for about 2 blocks, on the beach. I got a good signal, right next to the water. It was a hefty gold wedding band. The guy walked up to me and said, " You found my wedding band". I held it up and inspected it and said, " Sure, Jest tell me the inscription and I will give it to you." He turned around and walked away.
Hay, It's always good to keep track of what is going on around you! Frank...
111-1 profile.webp
 
Every now and then I see a someone I never met in my area. Most of the time its someone new. Usually ask me off I'm finding anything, my response is always no so they leave lol.
 
So far the wife and I have hunted mostly private property, ours, family, and neighbors. We live in a rural area so there is no lack of property to hunt for us and much of it has various old homestead sites on it here and there. We have had people drive down a county road, see us, stop, park and walk over to talk or ask questions. Our MDing time is limited so after being very nice and talking for a short while, we'll then resume our MDing. Mostly they want to know about our MD machines, and if and what we've found. I like people and I usually enjoy the talking. I believe that I'd do the same thing in a public area and with another MDer, with the exception of discussing specific finds and where that day. I kinda look at it like as when I'm fishing and hit a hot spot. I'll share a beer with you, chew the fat, lie like a rug, and BS, but you tain't gonna get directions to my hot spot! LOL!
 
I always stop and talk and have made a couple of good friends this way. Once in Williston North Dakota I saw a guy detecting a park and stopped, when I started walking his way he ran as fast as he could to his car and sped away. It was pretty funny.

I wonder why he did that???


For me it depends - I usually make small talk with other MDers and sometimes make friends. I try to keep it short most times because I feel like detecting is my "me" time and I like the peace and zen of detecting...plus I'm generally trying to use my time wisely...never enough sun here in New England it seems...sometimes I get annoyed by non-MDers that seem to ask the same questions over and over again...sometimes I'll chat with them if they seem genuine, but getting stopped every 5 minutes with "Ya find anythin'?" gets old fast lol
 
I wonder why he did that???


For me it depends - I usually make small talk with other MDers and sometimes make friends. I try to keep it short most times because I feel like detecting is my "me" time and I like the peace and zen of detecting...plus I'm generally trying to use my time wisely...never enough sun here in New England it seems...sometimes I get annoyed by non-MDers that seem to ask the same questions over and over again...sometimes I'll chat with them if they seem genuine, but getting stopped every 5 minutes with "Ya find anythin'?" gets old fast lol

Don't you just love the people that walk by and ask if you've found their ring they lost, this happens multiple times to me on the beach. "Still look'n" is my usual reply, but one of these days I'm gonna fish around in my pocket and pull one of those whopping large plastic party favors diamond rings, hold it up and innocently ask "Is this it "? Most will laugh.
 
I walk the other way, hop in my car and leave. Unless it was a pre-planned adventure, I like going alone. I don't want some googans gawking and asking me 1,000,000 questions.
Tho I don't jump in my car and leave. I usually just nod or wave ,Unless i,m getting ready to leave a site ,I may chat for a moment. I also mostly hunt alone , that way I have my timeline & nobody else to worry about. (that's why my nickname is "Tomcat")
Every now and then I see a someone I never met in my area. Most of the time its someone new. Usually ask me off I'm finding anything, my response is always no so they leave lol.

When ever anyone asks if I found anything I always say no or say Just shotgun shells or pull tabs.

It seems to me the older relic hunters 50+ are a lot cooler than the younger ones esp the 20-35 years age group who are more worried about their Hi end machines $100+ shovels & their 5-11 Tactical Clothing and gear to make their statement along with their stories of multiple Plates & Confederate Buttons they have dug .
Don't get me wrong I love the High end Shovels. & My opinion does not go for everybody who is younger than 35 .

There,s But Heads in all age groups. Just more in today,s Selfish World.
 
Last edited:
Tho I don't jump in my car and leave. I usually just nod or wave ,Unless i,m getting ready to leave a site ,I may chat for a moment. I also mostly hunt alone , that way I have my timeline & nobody else to worry about. (that's why my nickname is "Tomcat")

When ever anyone asks if I found anything I always say no or say Just shotgun shells or pull tabs.

It seems to me the older relic hunters 50+ are a lot cooler than the younger ones esp the 20-35 years age group who are more worried about their Hi end machines $100+ shovels & their 5-11 Tactical Clothing and gear to make their statement along with their stories of multiple Plates & Confederate Buttons they have dug .
Don't get me wrong I love the High end Shovels. & My opinion does not go for everybody who is younger than 35 .

There,s But Heads in all age groups. Just more in today,s Selfish World.

I hope not cuz I'm 30 lol but then again everyone I know says I act like I'm 45 lol
 
About 10 year ago, I met another detectorist here in Roswell. He was a bit rough around the edges, but all said and done, not a bad guy. We've taken several trips together, and I have enjoyed the company. We don't socialize other than on the playing field so to speak, but that is okay too.

There is an ex cop here who detects quite a bit, but he tends to be a loner. We talk, but that's about it.

One of the local S&R guys does a lot of gold detecting, and when he goes he roughs it. At nearly 74, roughing it is not my cup of tea.
 
I hope not cuz I'm 30 lol but then again everyone I know says I act like I'm 45 lol

Naa, not talking bout you ; I probably should not have mentioned age groups , as people of all ages can act snobbish or be Cool it just depends .

The folks I really don't want to talk to are the Nos-ie neighbors with their (Classic)
"Can I help You" question. I always want to say sure ! Ill let you dig for me , but I don't trust you NOT to strike the target with the shovel, but you can pick up all the trash around the property if you like.:BangHead:
Davers

Heck I'm 42 but feel like I am 30 @ least my mind does.
 
Last edited:
Don't you just love the people that walk by and ask if you've found their ring they lost, this happens multiple times to me on the beach. "Still look'n" is my usual reply, but one of these days I'm gonna fish around in my pocket and pull one of those whopping large plastic party favors diamond rings, hold it up and innocently ask "Is this it "? Most will laugh.

Great minds think alike. I thought about doing the same exact thing. i just didn't want to spend $8 for a plastic ring with a fake diamond in the center the size of a golf ball and I have to conserve space on my hunting rig.
 
Don't you just love the people that walk by and ask if you've found their ring they lost, this happens multiple times to me on the beach. "Still look'n" is my usual reply, but one of these days I'm gonna fish around in my pocket and pull one of those whopping large plastic party favors diamond rings, hold it up and innocently ask "Is this it "? Most will laugh.

Take along a nice fake. When someone asks say "Yea, is this it?" Yes, most will laugh, but, SOME will try and scam you and say "Yea, I lost that earlier today", you say... "Well there has to be at least a $50 dollar reward for this several thousand dollar ring?" He whips out a $50 thinking his next stop is the pawn shop.

It's fun turning the tables on manipulative people.
 
Im also a Ham Radio Operator and people are the same there......99.9% are friendly and would give you the shirt off their back. But there will always be that .1% Thats Life. HH All !!
 
I like to chat it up with everyone. Anyone who has stopped and talked with me I usually chat with them for a while. Other detectorist seem to be very friendly. If it's a small area and they were there first I usually strike up a conversation and then ask if they don't mind if I hunt with them. Great way to meet new hunting buddies. just my thoughts.
 
I noticed a guy with a MD for Christmas. I stopped and talked to him and showed him my detector and pinpointer. We've hunted a few times since then. Met another guy and we've been on several hunts. He helped me find my first Rosie. Most of the other ones I run into are nice and friendly. Haven't met a mean one.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom