Where did it come from?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sand, that is. Ever step onto an area of beach only to notice a bunch of new sand. It certainly wasn't like this the other day. So where did all that new, soft sand come from?

The hole. The other day it wasn't all that spectacular, more like a draw, a couple of feet deep, as wide as a typical two lane, and maybe 200 feet long. Yesterday it was all filled in with a lot of new soft sand. But where did all that sand come from?

If I brought in a load or two of fill dirt to fill a hole then that new dirt had to be removed from somewhere else. Interesting notion, no?

I see this all the time through the monthly tide cycles on my area beaches, one hole suddenly gone and another one freshly opened. This is most frequent during the monthly high tide cycles, when there is water volume and force to consistently move and reshape the sand, "The knife that spreads the jam" if you will. Toss in a bit of wind and this spreading of the jam becomes more aggressive, more agitated.

Nobody on the beach or in the water for weeks but yesterday I saw a very healthy 10k gold chain that came from a newly opened hole, and when I say "healthy" I mean that it was large enough that just about any detector could have sounded on it. I'm guessing it was pushing 50 - 60 grams, a nice silver earring retrieved not far away.

The negative tide cycle we are in right now will quickly start filling this hole back in, the soft slopes collapsing due to the lack of force and flow required to keep the hole open. In about three days this hole will be half as deep as it was yesterday. The beach is certainly an amazing creature, each month the sand slowly moving from to there much like that of an hourglass. When one half is full, the other half is empty.

Don't mind me, I'm just reminiscing and preparing for today's hunt.

Upvote 0
hope you have a great hunt!!
when we figure out how to defeat the keeper of the gold(sand) or at least really be able to communicate with her, we will be very successful!! understanding the enemy or forging an alliance is often the key to victory.

hmmmmm.......im full of it today!!!! i need to go hunting!
chuck.

hope you have a great hunt!!
when we figure out how to defeat the keeper of the gold(sand) or at least really be able to communicate with her, we will be very successful!! understanding the enemy or forging an alliance is often the key to victory.

hmmmmm.......im full of it today!!!! i need to go hunting!
chuck.

Going to be a nice day. "I'll be swinging among the fishes today!" :laughing7:

Go get that gold Bigscoop!
The cuts on my beaches and holes have been filling in and opening up from north to south lately. Nice cut one day will be more filled in the next, but south of it more pronounced the next day and so on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back