Where to start?

Iamnumber4

Oct 4, 2016
Chicago, IL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, hoping you could help me out. I'm trying to find the best way to go about salvaging a wreck in shallow waters. It's overseas in international waters. Would I need to contact a maritime lawyer first, reach out to a known salvage company, contact the government of ship origin, or is there a better place to start?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). I am sure a member(s) will jump in shortly to help ya out.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Before you alert anyone, do you know whether it's worth salvaging? Have you dove on it? Have you conclusively identified the wreck? Do you have documentation that the ship in question had anything of value? These are things you should affirm before moving forward. My opinion is not to ask or notify anyone, or else you may not be able to do anything at all. Since you say it's in international waters, you're not required to notify anyone, even if said countries would prefer you to do so.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Pm Darren and take every word he says seriously he is one of the highest integrity guys on the site....

Ps if you need a diver who can work all day for a coin or a bottle pm me ... Ha ha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread