Where to start

Raginbull74

Sep 4, 2023
My father was into mining. I inherited his sluice and his metal detector. It's a minelab gp extreme. Barely used. I dusted it off and because it's so old I'm pretty sure the old batteries are trash. Is there any way I can get this unit fired up with new lipos?. Both batteries are 6V Nimh. I've looked on minelabs site but everything is lipo now but not at 6v. Im an electircian and an avid electric rc car guy for awhile and I know what over volting can do to electronics. I'd like to get my boys into what their grandfather was into.

Upvote 2

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as they physically fit in the the machine, any 6V battery should work, regardless of technology. You might not be able to use the same *charger*, but they should power the machine just fine. For that matter, if you’re an electrician you could probably rig up an external power supply to hang on your belt and use any battery you want.

Are the existing batteries intact? I’ve seen more than one electronics device ruined by old batteries leaking and corroding everything around them.

OP
OP
R

Raginbull74

Sep 4, 2023
As long as they physically fit in the the machine, any 6V battery should work, regardless of technology. You might not be able to use the same *charger*, but they should power the machine just fine. For that matter, if you’re an electrician you could probably rig up an external power supply to hang on your belt and use any battery you want.

Are the existing batteries intact? I’ve seen more than one electronics device ruined by old batteries leaking and corroding everything around them.
Both batteries are in tact. No leaks.
I'll take some pictures later today.
I figured I can do some 6v li ion batteries to get the ah I need for decent running length.
Also, in general, is this machine decent for what it is?

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, in general, is this machine decent for what it is?
I don’t have any experience with that machine, but hopefully someone else can comment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread