Where to use a new detector?

Dan308

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2005
OK folks here is my problem. I got a new detector and I can't figure out where it's legal to hunt. Everyone I ask says "NO". No parks, No forest, No lake shore. What the heck? Our lake is down about 80 feet and I can't hunt cause I might dig up a beer can from the 60's? I live in New Mexico. Does anyone know where I can go or call? I've been sneaking to the park after dark and I'm tired of finding beer bottle caps in the dark. Help?
Dan308

Upvote 0

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
When i can't find anywhere to hunt i just go to the woods to detect. I don't know about your area, but here everyone just goes in the woods no matter who owns it as long as everyone leaves it clean.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i have a book that was written in 1996 that says new mexico has no laws against metal detecting. maybe things have changed since it was written. try public school yards,county parks,private yards,church yards (with permission).state parks and federal land are almost always off limits. dont forget to try ballfields,soccer fields,strips of grass between the sidewalk and the street. anywhere people hang out or have hung out in the past. after a little while you will have another problem! too many places to detect!!

shiva

Greenie
Aug 24, 2005
One of your best options would be to contact some people in your area with the same hobby and see what insight they can provide. A quick Google search found a few contacts you may want to check with:

Albeqerque Metal Detectors Association
Albuquerque, NM USA
1-505-256-1266
E-Mail: [email protected]

Four Corners Treasure Seekers
c/o Rose Akins
1800 Mesa Verde
Farmington, NM 87401 USA

Zia Prospectors & Archeological Club
Clovis, NM USA
1-505-762-7340

Good luck!