What's new

Which brings me up this question...would you?

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
1,927
Reaction score
62
Golden Thread
0
Location
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The picture is on this post...http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,187101.msg1400078.html#msg1400078

I made a decision NOT to enter this mine for a pretty obvious reason.

But after posting, I began to wonder what my feelings would be if I KNEW there was a cache inside the entrance.

As of right now, I'm fairly certain that nobody stashed anything in there....or am I?

I don't think my life is worth the chance...however remote...that the colum would pick the moment I'm inside to give away and allow that monster slab of rock crush me.

But if I was 100% positive there was a trunk of money inside worth tens of thousands in face value or some long ago, stashed gold bullion from some heist???????

I'm sure over the weeks as I work this area, I'll peek inside and that dam column will still be standing there, just as I live or breath...it's like the leaning tower of pisa...it'll be like that for centuries...has been for over a century so far.

But...would you go in there...if you were so sure?

Just curious as to how people view something on the boarder of temptation.

Al
 
preparation and details are a key, first you get someone who knows about caves, mines, cellar holes etc to inspect it. Then you get prepared make sure you have a back up air supply, water, first aid etc. Make sure you have a support system like one person with you and the cell phone has service, then another that knows the location and can guide emergency people in if need be. You should be in good shape and not have a fear of enclosed spaces, rats, snakes, insects, bats, dark etc.
We all know that the risk isn't worth your life, but people wouldn't of made it this far without taking risks. I would have to think that personally I couldn't bear the thought of leaving my family and kids behind. However if I had some assurance that it was reasonably safe and was prepared and knew what I was doing, you betcha I would go for it.
 
i grew up in a hard rock mining area. done some real stupid things, gone in alone, gone in at all...
quit caving when i was under bisbee with some "experienced people". they were all ahead of me in the tunnel, behind a huge cave in, when i spied a few sticks of dynamite on the floor, fresh tennis shoe print on the top of them.
the dynamite was deterioated to a point it was just these white crystals, no filler or paper left.
held my breath and advanced to the rear.

it is a judgement call. if you don't feel comfortable, DON'T DO IT!

as for the subsidence, if you don't touch the walls or ceiling, or the supports, it should stay put. no guarantees
watch the floor, gravity is the only law you can not break.

entering mines is dangerous, even when all the people around you are professionals.
 
I had to go take a look at that picture...

I don't think there is a cache large enough to tempt me into that cave/mine.

You can only spend it if you can get it (and yourself) out intact.

just my 2¢
Nan
 
I would not go in there, but I wouldn't give up on it. I would try to figure out
someway to look in.
 
I'd put a wireless camera on a loooong pole or maybe a RC bigfoot truck model and take a peek further in. Or maybe a RC helicopter, depending on the terrain inside. Not overly expensive.
 
joecoin said:
I'd put a wireless camera on a loooong pole or maybe a RC bigfoot truck model and take a peek further in. Or maybe a RC helicopter, depending on the terrain inside. Not overly expensive.

I thought about an RC vehicle too. Sounds like something to try.
 
I've spent the last 30 years of my life as a rescuer, Getting people out of places they had no business going. Abandoned mine shafts are death traps. They used to be all over the area where I live but nearly all are sealed off now. There is nothing in there worth the risk involved with going in.
 
I shuddered when I looked at the pictures of the cave, and I ain't much for shuddering. I had a friend that
went in a natural cave in West Virginia and came really close to getting stuck. Couldn't back up, couldn't go forward. It took him the better part of a day to get loose with friends helping. One rock shifted just a scoshin, and that was all it took. You couldn't pay him enough to go back in a cave. It changed him for life.
It ain't worth it....

HH,
Ramapirate
 
Certainly not worth it, think about your life 2nd, think about your family 1st....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom