Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
rvbvetter said:
? ? ? ? ?DUST

This doesn't really have anything to do with the subject but this comment brought this to mind.

Remember the first landing on the moon? Well, the scientists calculated that since the earth is millions of years old the moon would have many feet of dust (evolution, etc.). This is why they made that first moon rover with balloon type tires.

However, when they landed they were super shocked! There is only a very shallow layer of dust on the moon agreeing with the creationist view of the age of the earth.

Needless to say it all got shut up fast. ?;D

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

Anyone want to let the house go for a while to measure dust build up? Any volunteers?

R

rvbvetter

? ? ? We're just lucky it wasn't cheese after all. ?Cause it could have been Limburger and really stunk up the gallaxy. ? ? ? ?HH

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
rvbvetter said:
? ? ? We're just lucky it wasn't cheese after all. ?Cause it could have been Limburger and really stunk up the gallaxy. ? ? ? ?HH

I used to love Limburger cheese until some @$$ told me it smelled like cat pee (it does). Now I can't stand eating it anymore :'(

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
SWR said:
Dirt floor basements are NOT a controlled environment. A controlled environment
would be an area where there is no foot traffic, or obtrusion that would create overburden. Sorry...try again

:)

Well, I guess this rules out the earth.

Maybe we could get somebody to drop a coin on the moon. ???

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

SWR said:
FreetwoDtect said:
In looking at SWR's suggestion of coins under a house. The posts of others who found coins detecting the dirt floor basements of old houses, must mean they do sink. After all there was no grass/leaves to decay, wind or rain.

Dirt floor basements are NOT a controlled environment. A controlled environment
would be an area where there is no foot traffic, or obtrusion that would create overburden. Sorry...try again

:) Gee now it did fit your criteria, all the houses were above ground.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leprecauns! Explains it all. The coins werent't dropped. The coins actually were buried by Leprecauns, trolls, imps, pixies and various other magical critters. Coins are rising, not sinking. If our coin gardens are left alone, the coins will be on the surface in several years. The harder the surface the faster they rise. That's why we always find coins on the surface in parking lots on sidewalks and etc. Why not? That's as good as any sinking coin theory. Monty

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

Monty could be right! we had trolls post here before on this site.

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
It's all about the water in the soil. Totally water =straight to the bottom, Zero water = stay right on top.... in an environment with no vegetation or dust, or silt, or....

A totally of circumstances determines exactly how fast it sinks! Wind blows dust, rain carries silt, grass and leaves decay, emulsification of the soil, foot traffic, hoofed traffic, ect, etc.

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

Monty has given the best supporting evidence so far. I believe we have all seen coins laying on top of a black top parking lot. Case solved. ;)

Fast_Dave

Mar 21, 2003
Superior, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer, White's 6000, Fisher Aquanaut
Monty's right!

It's the coin fairies! ?You know, the same coin fairies that put memorial pennies at 4 inches, and then a few feet away put a Barber dime right below the surface on top of a tree root so that we put a big gouge right across the neck... :'( >:( :'(

I don't want to talk about it anymore...

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorta like this Fast -Dave?

Attachments

• 010106.jpg
    010106.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 175

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They don't call me "scratch" for nothing.

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
the smaller coins will be covered up faster,

Fast_Dave

Mar 21, 2003
Superior, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer, White's 6000, Fisher Aquanaut
:( Actually, picture a scratch starting right under the ear, running all the way down the neck, and crossing the rim just to the right of the date. ?I'd show you, but I couldn't stand the way it looked and buffed it out with fine grit emory paper. ?I'll never sell the coin, and to the average person it looks better than the big gouge. :'(

R

rvbvetter

? ? ? You must have read my post on how to probe and pop.? ? I've got a safety deposit box full of uniquely marred coins that I always seem to find.

? ? Are Pixies female?? They sound like they would be cute.? ? ? I already know what gender some of the fairys are.? ? ? ? HH

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

Would coins with holes sink faster? What are your thoughts on this?

R

rvbvetter

Actually I don't think coins sink. With the aid of the earths gravity, they will settle but not sink. With the exception of bogs or tar pits, Dinosaurs didn't sink, they were covered over. Hole or no hole. HH

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
i dropped a coin on the ground once but found it right aways, then i dropped one on the water never did find it, so i know they sink faster in water then land, dang im smart arent i ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread