Which detector? One Noob to Another.

Gfrrt

Sep 23, 2013
Monroe
Detector(s) used
White's cm pro and Discovery 1100 with garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m new to this hobby and still learning. But I am a fast learner. Here are few tips and or suggestions for beginners like me.

First follow the rules. Please! Always have permission, fill your holes, and always remove your trash you find. Please don’t help give this hobby a bad name. It’s hard enough to hunt as is.

As far as detectors go, here is my take on it so far. If you are new to this as I am. Then I recommend something inexpensive. You don’t have to have the latest and greatest to enjoy this hobby. The brand? IMO it’s a crap shoot. I’ve read more reviews than you can shake a stick at. There’s good and bad on every one of them. Some will praise it some will trash it.

Some will claim they go deeper than others. But I have found there are so many factors to that. Like soil conditions, wet or dry, mineralization, coil size, and the list goes on. I would suggest asking what kind of detectors people are using in your area and getting their opinions and or suggestions.

Whatever you decide to go with just know it will always be a learning curve. You have to get out and practice and dig lots of junk. This is not a waste of time. It will help you learn your machine and get an idea on what you are digging. Although junk signal are not always junk. If you want to dig more rings and relics, you have to dig more junk. That’s just the way it is. I just refuse to believe that there is a magic detector (no matter what the cost) out there that will tell you exactly what is in that ground.

Some machines have id numbers and some just have arrows pointing to an icon and some just a sound. IMO one is just as good as the other on these entry level machines. I have found the numbers on a pull tab will jump around just as the ones without the numbers. If you like looking at the id number then get one with it but you will find the numbers are not always accurate. A constant repeatable tone will be your best indicator. You just got to decide if you want to dig or not to dig. Ring or pull tab. Hmmm.

I would suggest getting one with the pin point option though. Not a necessity but nice to have.
Don’t get caught up in all the hype on all those expensive machines at first. You can always upgrade later.
I will suggest a great hand held pin pointer though. Cut your digging time in half.
Anyway hope this was somewhat helpful.
HH

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good info.Like the way you put it.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it too. Good advice. I have dug many bad signals and come up a winner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread