Which detector?????????

c4teeter

Mar 30, 2010
Ms, Fl and parts unknown!!!
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3; Cen Tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello to all! Getting back into detecting after being out for 15 years. Trying to decide between a couple of detectors and would like yalls input. Back in the day, I was lucky enough to have the XLT and am leaning towards it again. Minelabs X-terra 70 and Tekenetics Omega 8000 have caught my intrest this go around. I live on the Gulf Coast, but my passion is RELICS. Which one????? The decision is keeping me up day and night. Comments appreciated and yes, I am in the market for a detector (if I can afford it). Thanks

Upvote 0
Since you had the XLT the logical choice would be to get that since you may remember some things. But that is like marrying your EX again. There are many good models out there and you should look at all the manufactures web sites to learn more about the new models.

If you like the screens on your unit, check these out as you may not be happy with a detector without. Personally I don't like screens as you tend to believe in what it is telling you. An we all know they LIE. :laughing7:

I'd stick with one of the top three or four brands of detectors. (I personally have to have a screen because of using them for so long and seeing what they do in jewelry hunting.) The problem with them is so many people take that info as the "primary" info (and forget that audio should always be the most important thing). Keep that in mind and a screen is only a plus. JMHO

If beach hunting is going to be your primary "thing", research well and pick the best one for that then.
All machines have strengths and weaknesses, so find out which one would fit you best.

I like my exterra 70, is it the best detector, probably not but it is very sensitive in all metal mode and super lightweight. If you get one cheap I would not hesitate to buy it. If weight does not bother you than an MXT is a good all purpose detector. I know little about the Tesoro's but they do have a good deep light model, Tejon I think. I also would buy only Whites, Garrets, Tesoro or Minelab. While ML probably makes the best detectors I think the others have better customer service if that matters to you.

So this is going to be your one and only detector, you live on the gulf coast and NOT planning on doing beach detecting? Are you sure?
Cause if you are then any of those you mentioned should suit you fine. Personally, after seeing my friends in action with their XT70 I'd get the Minelab X-terra 70, but maybe the 705 if I could afford new.
I was planning on doing any beach detecting, I might consider a different Minelab, one with BBS or FBS technology.

Thanks to all.... Went with the XLT for now... and when the funds allow it, I think I'll add the Xterra 705 (haven't seem many reviews on this one yet); then possibly top it off with some type of waterproof detector.....

Don't ya just wish you could rent all three and then the rental fee is appliedd towards your purchase?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back