Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm close to ordering a GPX primarily for relic hunting in both the hot VA soils and the colonial homesteads in PA... but I'm not sure which one to go with - the 4800 or 5000? From what I can see, the 5000 has a pair of coils (mono and DD) and 8 timing settings versus the 4800 coming with the DD and 6 timings.

Are there any other differences that would make the 5000 more desireable than the 4800 for relic hunting?

I found a post on Minelab's site where Kevin Hoagland says that he would suggest the 5000 due to the extra timings...

My thought is that if I'm spending that much cash to get the 5000, but am considering saving some money with a 4800 if it does the job.

If anyone has any thoughts about this, I'd like to hear them. :)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A GPX 4000 will find almost as much as a GPX 4800. The problem with Minelab is that they have to come out with SOMETHING new for first adapters every two-years. If you can afford the 4800, then Kevin is right - you can't afford not to get a GPX 5000. It is the cutting edge. Good Luck!

Mach 1 Pilot said:
I'm close to ordering a GPX primarily for relic hunting in both the hot VA soils and the colonial homesteads in PA... but I'm not sure which one to go with - the 4800 or 5000? From what I can see, the 5000 has a pair of coils (mono and DD) and 8 timing settings versus the 4800 coming with the DD and 6 timings.

Are there any other differences that would make the 5000 more desireable than the 4800 for relic hunting?

I found a post on Minelab's site where Kevin Hoagland says that he would suggest the 5000 due to the extra timings...

My thought is that if I'm spending that much cash to get the 5000, but am considering saving some money with a 4800 if it does the job.

If anyone has any thoughts about this, I'd like to hear them. :)

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're looking at spending approximately $5000 (4800) or $5600 (5000) for a detector.
In my opinion, and we all know what opinions are worth, I'd spend the extra $600 and get the 5000 and know I was going in with the best of the best.
Once you have it, you won't be asking yourself what could I be missing...

Its easy to spend someone else's money... ;D
If I had the money to spend that's what i'd do...

I know about that red dirt you mention... Those GPX machines make some DEEP recoveries...
Give Mike Post @ Woodland Detectors a call or email and ask him... He know the machines.

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dwight S said:
You're looking at spending approximately $5000 (4800) or $5600 (5000) for a detector.
In my opinion, and we all know what opinions are worth, I'd spend the extra $600 and get the 5000 and know I was going in with the best of the best.
Once you have it, you won't be asking yourself what could I be missing...

Its easy to spend someone else's money... ;D
If I had the money to spend that's what i'd do...

I know about that red dirt you mention... Those GPX machines make some DEEP recoveries...
Give Mike Post @ Woodland Detectors a call or email and ask him... He know the machines.

Thankfully I have a price quote on both of them that is much lower than those prices.... if you ask around you can get better deals than what is posted, the dealers just have to advertise a minimum price... :wink: The dealer that gave me the quote has the difference between the two fairly low, so it will probably be the 5000 if price is the only factor. It appears that in addition to the two timings there are a few more settings within the menus that are different in the 5000... will post the list when I get time to write them down for anyone else who ends up asking the same question sometime down the road.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread