White Nose Syndrome/Cave Closures

Martimus Rex

Dec 11, 2009
IL / MO
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 DI SE 3
Very sad day in caving. IL went ahead and shut down their state run caves too. It will be nice when they get a cure for this. Some guy was telling me that they are testing anti-fungal footpower. He heard that was working. Had anyone else heard this???

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to shut down two caves on my lease to the grotto's. I have seen the bats flying during the day. A sure sign they say,,, hope the figure out what the wns is.
TnMtns

OP
OP
Rptyd

Rptyd

Sep 11, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Antique Gold Mountain, lol..
TnMountains said:
I had to shut down two caves on my lease to the grotto's. I have seen the bats flying during the day. A sure sign they say,,, hope the figure out what the wns is.
TnMtns

I noticed this was listed in Aug.
Bats do fly periodically in the daytime, it's actually hibernating bats that come out that is the concern.
Have you had anyone go in to see if your neck of the woods is infected? Fish and Wildlife has personnel on hand for verification or may be working locally with a grotto out there for verification.
I wish you luck and and pray you don't have it near you.....

Our grottos have been fortunate in that we've developed good relations with out local cave owners.
Of course several of our cave owners are grotto members, lol...

@Martimus Rex
No, anti fungal foot powder is not an option. Too much friendly fungi in a cave environment, the whole eco system has to be taken into consideration.

Please don't dust your caves with that stuff! ::)

Martimus Rex

Dec 11, 2009
IL / MO
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 DI SE 3
I@Martimus Rex
No, anti fungal foot powder is not an option. Too much friendly fungi in a cave environment, the whole eco system has to be taken into consideration.

Please don't dust your caves with that stuff! ::)

[/quote]

I didn't and the article didn't say anything about spreading foot powder around. In fact it said they did not want people to self treat. Maybe you should read the entire article.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I was a caver and climber for years. I live in the cave belt of the south. The bats I saw were flying during the day in the winter. I am keeping out cavers till we learn more.
hh
TnMtns

Kevenater

Jan 10, 2007
Cullman, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
i read on cavechat that they have proven that wns cannot be transferred from cave to cave by cavers. just to update caveowners.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a link on that other than cave chat? Thanks..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions