whites dfx vs minlab quattro

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Better be the DFX or you got hosed for $250 more dollars (30% more, that is). :D

$1,099.95 vs. $849.95 street.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
confused explain ;)

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
DFX is a better machine than the Quattro, but that is not really a fair comparision.
Try matching it up to the Explorer, and IMO the DFX loses.

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't know about fair or not,buddy of mine is buying a new machine and wasn't sure which way to go between the two

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cryptodave said:
DFX is a better machine than the Quattro, but that is not really a fair comparision.

That's what I was trying to point out. The DFX does more, but costs much more. I have seen folks complain it has too steep a learning curve, but also that the Quattro is "quirky".

I might also mention its made in the USA.

If we want Austrailians to buy our Fords and Chevys we better buy their Fosters and Minelabs. God Bless 'Em they're still one of our best and most understandable allies; the only one we've NEVER been at war with (though they do name their animals funny :D). Welcome to the world economy.

mtk525

Jan 13, 2007
Thanks Bomber for starting this post. I get my Quattro today. I went with it because of cost. I could not swing any more money to get anything better. Next I am still new to this hobby and the explorer or dfx might be to much machine for me to handle. And finally this will be a huge upgrade from my ace250. Thanks for the input. Mike :)

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
mtk525 said:
Thanks Bomber for starting this post. I get my Quattro today. I went with it because of cost. I could not swing any more money to get anything better. Next I am still new to this hobby and the explorer or dfx might be to much machine for me to handle. And finally this will be a huge upgrade from my ace250. Thanks for the input. Mike :)

Mike, it is a small step for mankind from your 250. Congrats on your purchase, it will pay for itself as long as you don't get frustrated with it. Take your time, read the manual well, and I suggest purchasing "Mastering the Minelab Quattro" by Andy Sabisch. You can purchase it here: http://www.dixie-metal-detectors.com/booksandcd's.htm. Just scroll down to almost the bottom of the page and it will be listed under Minelab Instructional Books. Dixie is a great company to deal with! Also you might contact TonyinCT here on this forum, owner of TCdetectors. He might carry that book also.

mtk525

Jan 13, 2007
Thanks... I did purchase Mastering the Minelab Quattro with the detector. Did a whole bunch of research and every one suggests that book. Can't wait for the weekend! ;D

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GO GET THAT SILVER AND GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
mtk525 said:
Thanks... I did purchase Mastering the Minelab Quattro with the detector. Did a whole bunch of research and every one suggests that book. Can't wait for the weekend! ;D
............The Quattro is a better detector than the DFX or Explorer to me.Reason most people buy the DFX & Explorer and only use the preset programs any how and pay around $300.00 more give or take.....Why pay for something you are not going use?....................................==Jim==

relikhunter

Jul 17, 2006
S.E. kansas
Detector(s) used
whites dfx garrett gtp 1350
Had both detectors and still have the dfx!The quattro's recovery speed is terrible.It constantly null on iron unless you run it in all metal.Traded for the dfx and not once have i regretted it.jmoho hh rh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread