Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to decide which one of the two I need to upgrade to.? Thought about the DFX but don't know if I want to work that hard to learn it.? The MXT seems to be pretty much like my top of the line BH I have now but for a lot more $$$.? I'm sure you can't compare the two but the operation looks similar.? the XLT looks to have some added features and a little more complicated?? I am looking for one that I won't have to think about upgrading to in the near future, one that will handle most any situation I might run into except underwater which I doubt I will ever need.? I'm planning on getting into some club hunts where a variety of situations will be presented.? I already found out that my BH doesn't have the depth needed to enter some of the events.? I have chosen the? Ace 250 as my backup as it seems to be the most for the money for generel coin shooting and just playing around but has lots of capability for its cost.? I have been buying form Kellyco but would go elsewhere if the right deal could be struck. Comments and advice welcome.?

It just struck me that with all the posts on this or similar topics we could use a forum entitled "Upgrading"!

Upvote 0
I have the MXT and I am a total noob to metal detecting. Only been at it 5 months or so. I like it because it has the three different modes you can use. Coin, relic and prospecting. All on one machine instead of three separate machines. I think it does well in all three applications. I have found what I was looking for in the 3 different modes. Just "my" opinion. I like it.

Just a couple opinions. You are considering the xlt, but not the dfx because it's too hard to learn. It's no harder than the xlt. Alot of the same controls. Both xlt and dfx make excellant tun-on-and-go detectors. Of course that after you turn it on, pick a factory pre-set program, and ground balance it, which all told takes about 20-40 seconds. Once you learn the machine, than you can learn to make it better, with custom programs, different coils. I say, buy the best one you can afford. Between the xlt and dfx and mxt, buy the dfx. Might be the only MD you need for the next 10 years. I use xlt, but am thinking on going to dfx. I have used my buddies dfx and it's pretty great.

? ? ?I agree with vwayne. If you can afford it get the DFX. More coils fit it than the XLT. Newer technology also. XLT has been around a while. But it's longevity proves what a good machine it's been.
? ? ?XLT and DFX are four filter detectors. Mxt is a two filter. A two filter is more forgiving in your sweep speed and has a slightly faster "turn around" time. That is to say after going over a target a two filter detector will reset quicker than a four filter. But probably not enough to make a big difference. MXT battery life is twice as long as DFX or XLT.
? ? ?DFX and XLT can be tweaked with custom programs like wayne said. A definate plus. DFX is the best of the three on wet saltwater beaches. Or so I've read.
? ? ?And like I mentioned in my previous post the MXT is the better of the three for prospecting. It's built on Whites GMT technology with coin finding capabilities added to it. There's more to it than that but that's the gist of it.
I have read where the DFX does have a pretty steep learning curve but when mastered is hard to beat.
? ? ?In my opinion there is no perfect metal detector. There are always pros and cons.
? ? ?Like vwayne said, the purchase of a DFX will keep you from needing to upgrade for a long, long time.
? ? ?Or you could buy one of each. ;D? ?Just my personal observations of course.

I doubt tha I will ever be doing any nugget hunting and not very likely to be doing any saltwater detecting. Ninety nine percent of my detecting will be either coins shooting, relic hunting, or club contest hunting. I thought that when they added the E to the XLT as in XLT-E they upgraded the electronics? I have looked at some other brands with similar qualities as the Whites, but several of them have the belt worn battery pack and I don't need anything else hanging off my belt what with my tool pouch and digging equipment. But the Whites on the other hand weighs in at over 4 lb which is pretty heavy compared to some. Perhaps it's the balance more than the weight? Darn, this is a hard task what with all the good products out there!

You should check with white's on the upgrades made to the e-series. I have had both and the e-series is different. As for weight and balance, very nice.

Dirtdigger, like I said, I have had both. The settings are a little different, and the responses I am getting are different. My guess is that they shared a little of the research they were doing on the dfx/mxt series, with the e-series xlt. I'll ask next time I'm up at White's.

My Spectrum XLT runs software version 1.1. What version did your E-series XLT run? The reason I ask is that every dealer that I have talked to has told me the same thing. That the stickers were the only difference. I know that when the XLT first hit the market it ran a different software version than it does today. I believe that software was version A.3. My XLT is about 7 sears old and it runs version 1.1.

Maybe White's will be able to clarify.

Later

DDD

Well heck, I had about deceded on the XLT but I have read several posts that lead me to believe that it is based on old technology and newer (better?) technology is available. Due to the good experience I have had with the little ACE 250, I am taking a closer look at Garrett products. Perhaps the 1500 or 2500 models? Any experience by you guys with these products? I'm afraind the 1500 is very similar to myk BH except for target size discrimination. How important is size discrimination? ...probably none if just coin shooting but what about relic hunting? Comments please.

I'm no expert on this, but the old garretts, of which i owned a couple, struggled with depth. From a couple of posts i've seen, some what recently. The newer ones are still dealing with the same issue. My reccomendation would be to go with the whites, of which i've now owned 2. HH

I think I may have made a decision right or wrong. I am working with kELLYCO on a deal for a Garrett GTI 2500 PRO, their newest top of the line detector. It's a digital unit supposed to have new technology and ultra deep penetration. From all I have read the learning curve is much easier than the Whites units. It also has all the features I am apt to need considering the type of hunting I plan to do in this area. I'm also getting three different size coils , a 12.5", a standard 9.5" and a 4.5" and all the other accessories that goes with it, coil covers, dust/rain cover, etc. Part of my decision was based on my impression of the ACE 250 that I have. If it is half as good for three times the price I will be delighted! Thanks to everyone for your input, you're a swell group with good information.... no make that invaluable information!
And free, I see you have the girlie picture back up. By popular demand? It's niot nice to confuse an old man! So, are you really a woman pretending to be a man pretending to be a woman pretending to be a man? Damn, I am confused! No, I'm an old fart pretending to be confused actually confused pretending not to ge confused but really a hot young boy toy playboy stud pretending to be an old fart who is confused. Confused?

??? well jimmieleo i am new to this site, and ive been looking for the right detector. ive been looking at the whites xlt and the mxt. was wondering which one you decided on? or did you get the garrett? i would love to get in this as a hobby. what i am looking for would be rings, coins, jewelry, relics. any info on which detector would be best for me would be appreciated. something not to hard . thanks maryann

maryannfromla, I will be talking to Laura at Kellycoam Monday or Tuesday about the Garrett unit. The deal isn't final but it is a probable. Let me tell you my experience and perhaps it will help you make a decision. I had access to my Dad's $35.00 detector when I was a kid. That was in the late 50's and early 60's ergo the $35.00 price tag! It did nothing but detect metal period. I was fascinated and spent hours digging up junk mostly but finding a few coins on occasion. Over the years I found other things to do and developed other interests. In '96 I was injured in an accident and finally had to take an early retirement a couple of years ago. I sat around mostlly sedentary and got fat and lazy and my health suffered. I had to get into something to get some exercise, so my wife bouight me a new detector for Christmas last year. Since then I have been out detecting several days a week at least for a couple of hours a day. I feel better and have even started to lose a little weight, so that's my motivation and background. I am pretty good at figuring things out like how a detector works and I have an anayltical mind and soon had my dectector pretty well figured out. I have a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger which is about a mid-range priced unit. It has a graphic display and several features that is helpful to a new detectorist. It also has some more complicated features and is considered near the top of the line for Bounty Hunter detectors. Since I have a lot of free time and fair resources I have discovered I may want some applications that I cannot get with my BH so, I am moving up to a more complicated unit. I also enjoy the challenge of mastering more complicated machinery which boosted my interest in moving up. So, what is my advice to you?

First I would need to know if you have any experience at all in using a metal detector? If not, then you are going to have to find a machine that is easy to operate, one with the "turn on and go" features you probably have read about. Assuming you have very little if any experience, I would not suggest the very bottom of the line detector as you will soon become proficient with it and want to move up. So, I would get something with a good turn on and go feature plus a few bells and whistles for later. My BH Land Ranger has those features and runs around $400.00 to $500.00 depending on how many accessories you get to go with it. If your bukdget doesn't permit that expense I would recomment the Garrett ACE 250 which runs around $200.00 and is a very good coin huntng machine. It has some added features but not the array of the BH. I wouldn't recommend going less than the ACE because you will soon become bored with a cheap unit and wish you had got something more. Hope this helps. And oh yes , contact me off line if interested as my BH is for sale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back