Whitewater canyon gold by Cabazon

Nuggets4me

Jr. Member
Jan 1, 2012
56
1
Hemet/San Jacinto
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this thread is a few months old, but I was reading this last night-and today I have a map that has 5 areas where gold has been found before you get to the hatchery. I originally posted pics of the map but I realized it was copyrighted...so I deleted them......
 

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
1,857
220
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can me a copy if you like.... I know of a claim deeper in the canyon, but not one closer to the 10....

Thx
PLL
 

TheGoldHunter

Newbie
Aug 28, 2011
2
0
I'm still trying to find someone in my area to gold detect with . Share gas , hunt and search in gold areas and hike creeks and deserts .
 

tapoutking

Sr. Member
Jun 27, 2007
439
13
Simi Valley California
Nuggets4me said:
tapoutking said:
Porkchops for a copy of the map? :P


How dare you try to bribe me with Ham treats!!!! I don't like pork chops. BTW. I prefer Ham or just bacon is fine. Thick sliced. :laughing7:

You don't like porkchops?
 

Attachments

  • porkchops.jpg
    porkchops.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 601

Nuggets4me

Jr. Member
Jan 1, 2012
56
1
Hemet/San Jacinto
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tapoutking said:
Nuggets4me said:
tapoutking said:
Porkchops for a copy of the map? :P


How dare you try to bribe me with Ham treats!!!! I don't like pork chops. BTW. I prefer Ham or just bacon is fine. Thick sliced. :laughing7:

You don't like porkchops?



No, ESPECIALLY those kind...LOL. I actually just put a ham in the oven! (told u I like Ham) Although, I don't think it's wild. I think it came from a farm because it says Farmer John on it ??? Ha ha ha......
 

treasurechest

Full Member
Mar 27, 2011
239
20
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
Nuggets4me said:
treasurechest said:
I'd likea copy of that map as well if you could please.



:evil5:
You and hamking, OH I meant...tapoutking should go together....

I've hiked way back into whitewater canyon. I don't know if I'd drag a detector that far back into there. Crossing the streams is a pain in the neck when they're flowing really good. They'll slowdown in the summer, but then it's over 100 and I found out that it's not so much fun to be there.
 

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
1,857
220
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurechest said:
Nuggets4me said:
treasurechest said:
I'd likea copy of that map as well if you could please.



:evil5:
You and hamking, OH I meant...tapoutking should go together....

I've hiked way back into whitewater canyon. I don't know if I'd drag a detector that far back into there. Crossing the streams is a pain in the neck when they're flowing really good. They'll slowdown in the summer, but then it's over 100 and I found out that it's not so much fun to be there.

There is also some SERIOUS wildlife back there as well... Better be prepared or you " could " get eaten..... lol
 

treasurechest

Full Member
Mar 27, 2011
239
20
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
I've been pretty lucky. The first mountain lion I've ever seen was recently off of jackrabbit trail near the 60. It was a pretty amazing animal. Me, being stupid decided to follow it before my better senses got to me and I hurried back to the car pretty quick hahahahaha.
 

TheSentinel

Jr. Member
Jan 29, 2012
24
0
Beaumont, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy everyone,

I just spent an afternoon taking the family out to Whitewater, brought the rookie gold panning set, and saw the dark sand and pyrite at the bottom of my pans, but no gold as ya'll have mentioned in your previous posts. Had no luck and hopped on google and here I am. I live in the San Gorgonio pass area and am interested in teaming up and learning from seasoned vets. I got turned on to gold hunting by recently discovering a family tie to William "Grizzly Bill" Holcomb (fascinating fella, credited with discovering gold in Holcomb Valley along with killing many of the Grizzlies in the San Bernardino Mountains). Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jay
 

Nuggets4me

Jr. Member
Jan 1, 2012
56
1
Hemet/San Jacinto
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheSentinel said:
Howdy everyone,

I just spent an afternoon taking the family out to Whitewater, brought the rookie gold panning set, and saw the dark sand and pyrite at the bottom of my pans, but no gold as ya'll have mentioned in your previous posts. Had no luck and hopped on google and here I am. I live in the San Gorgonio pass area and am interested in teaming up and learning from seasoned vets. I got turned on to gold hunting by recently discovering a family tie to William "Grizzly Bill" Holcomb (fascinating fella, credited with discovering gold in Holcomb Valley along with killing many of the Grizzlies in the San Bernardino Mountains). Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jay


Hmm....Us too...wonder if we saw each other? LOL, We ran a sluice box about a mile past the preserve....mild trickle running through. We started up closer to the preserve and a ranger asked us, "Do you know where you are?" ::) I told the hubby it was a no go on that area. Does he listen to me? Of course not. Anyway, we had fun-but like the sentinel said...lot's of black sand and pyrite. No gold. Hopefully we have better luck next time. :'(
 

TheSentinel

Jr. Member
Jan 29, 2012
24
0
Beaumont, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nuggets4me said:
TheSentinel said:
Howdy everyone,

I just spent an afternoon taking the family out to Whitewater, brought the rookie gold panning set, and saw the dark sand and pyrite at the bottom of my pans, but no gold as ya'll have mentioned in your previous posts. Had no luck and hopped on google and here I am. I live in the San Gorgonio pass area and am interested in teaming up and learning from seasoned vets. I got turned on to gold hunting by recently discovering a family tie to William "Grizzly Bill" Holcomb (fascinating fella, credited with discovering gold in Holcomb Valley along with killing many of the Grizzlies in the San Bernardino Mountains). Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jay


Hmm....Us too...wonder if we saw each other? LOL, We ran a sluice box about a mile past the preserve....mild trickle running through. We started up closer to the preserve and a ranger asked us, "Do you know where you are?" ::) I told the hubby it was a no go on that area. Does he listen to me? Of course not. Anyway, we had fun-but like the sentinel said...lot's of black sand and pyrite. No gold. Hopefully we have better luck next time. :'(

I took the wife and kids along, so we stopped 2.5 miles up the road from I-10. Last time I was able to pull up a BLM map, it showed the immediate area free of claims in this part of the river. It was good to work on my panning technique and got my mom interested, maybe she'll go half in on a metal detector with me.
 

TheSentinel

Jr. Member
Jan 29, 2012
24
0
Beaumont, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I kinda feel like I'm talking to myself, but for the sake of saving other's time, 1 mile up Whitewater Rd in the hills produced copious amounts of spent 7.62mm, .22, and 12 guage expended brass. I found a couple of rusty cans and lead bullet fragments too, but nothing resembling gold. I found several of the "hot rocks" I read about and ignored them. I'm definitely going to a different spot next time. BTW, there was a fresh hole and a garden tool with a green handle left up there in case one of you lost it, left that in place.

I also retrieved some maps from the conservation ranger station. The Whitewater preserve is very small. For the most part, all of the trails to the north are on BLM land, not the privately owned wildlife preserve. Please keep in mind folks, that the "rangers" are part of a private organization and are not forest service rangers or BLM law enforcement, if they try to stop you from using public lands, make a stink about it. A dead giveaway is the amber lightbars on their trucks. I'm sure they're super guys, but I'm betting that they aren't advocates for our hobby.

Here is a map of the actual property lines of the wildlife preserve, note that its not that big, it is surrounded by public BLM land. According to the map at their station, they do have a few more parcels to the north in the mountains in a checkerboard fashion with BLM lands. Also note the Mission Creek Preserve area to the northeast.
http://www.wildlandsconservancy.org/maps/wwtm21610.pdf
 

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
1,857
220
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings Sentinel,
First of all don't ever think that your posts are being ignored, we are just lazy... lol Your post of the map was GREAT!!! I was never really sure where the boundaries exactly were. I am including a Google Earth combo picture of your map, that way people will be able to understand where the boundaries are. You got me wanting to head out today!!!! well, maybe lol!!!!

Btw- I coordinated the road on your link with the road on Google to get the right locations.

PLL

whitewaterpark.jpg
 

TheSentinel

Jr. Member
Jan 29, 2012
24
0
Beaumont, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PegLeg,

Thats an awesome overlay map, shows how much land we really have to prospect on, which is a ton. My next trip out there I'll probably hike past the preserve a couple of miles and try to pan out some color. I am also thinking of scouting out a couple of other locations in the San Gorgonio Pass area, I'll let ya'll know if anything comes from it. Also, a walk through Banning Canyon showed huge amounts of pyrite in the rocks in the riverbed and walls, literally chunks of pyrite all over the place. I'm guessing that on the south side of the mountains, that's mostly what we'll find.
 

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Top