What's new

Who Collects Shark Teeth?

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2009
Messages
2,362
Reaction score
1,314
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northcentral Florida
Here are some shark teeth from North Africa and California. Anyone else here collect shark teeth?

hexanchuspair.webp​
 
Sir I am sure that I do not have the collection you posses but for some reason I find them interesting and do have a few loose ones. Here they are and again thanks for the help on the fossil of a fossil. Oh yeah that is a three ringer CW bullet for ref size in the middle.
Regards,
TnMountains
 

Attachments

  • 100_1456.webp
    100_1456.webp
    47 KB · Views: 1,306
Here are a couple pics of Hemi and a few Mako.
 

Attachments

  • DSC03566ax.webp
    DSC03566ax.webp
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,205
  • DSC03568ax.webp
    DSC03568ax.webp
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,200
Road Dog said:
I collect Mackeral, Mako and Hemi Teeth. Have a small collection.
Nice teeth, 'Road Dog'! NC is a good place to find shark teeth. The makos look like river teeth.

These are all river teeth from the Peace River in Southcentral Florida. I discover that it is the only image of a Hemipristis tooth I've made, and here I used it for scale in illustrating a normal and a Hubbell (megalodon) tooth.

Show us some more of your teeth! :hello2:


hubbellnormal.webp​
 
Here are a couple of Mako teeth. One is a Lee Creek tooth. The dark tooth is a Angustiden from South Carolina over 23 million years old.
 

Attachments

  • DSC03589ax.webp
    DSC03589ax.webp
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,225
Here are a few Otodus or Giant Mackeral Shark Teeth. These guys are from the Atlas Mountains in Morocco near Khouribga and are 40 to 60 million years old.
 

Attachments

  • DSC03590xx.webp
    DSC03590xx.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,257
Nice Otodus teeth! I've been to Khouribga. I had to drive through the Atlas Mountains to get there, but Khouribga itself is on a broad interior basin, the Ouled Abdoun Basin -- flat desert. That's where the phosphate is mined. It's an amazing place to visit in the winter; but, I'm sure it is brain-baking hot in the summertime.

otodusverttooth.webpotoduslateralcurve.webp​

The Carcharocles angustidens is a beaut -- another river tooth, I'd guess. I have a few things from SC, but not enough to suit me! :dontknow:

carcharoclestrio.webp​

In the image above, I now believe the two teeth on the right are C. chubutensis rather than C. megalodon. What do you think?
 
Could be. That black one of mine could be as well? Pretty tough atleast for me to tell them apart.
 
Road Dog said:
Could be. That black one of mine could be as well? Pretty tough atleast for me to tell them apart.

Your tooth does have the reduced lateral cusps of C. chubutensis, 'Road Dog'. But, unless you know the stratum from which the tooth was derived, it's dicey to label a single tooth absolutely. Taxonomists like to work with series of teeth from known strata.

In other words, call the tooth what you believe it to be based on available info.


auroratrio.webp​
 
Hi Harry, you have seen most of my shark teeth. I just found this site and I am checking it out. Great pictures RD. 8) 8) 8) :)
 

Attachments

  • my fossils 611.webp
    my fossils 611.webp
    11 KB · Views: 1,197
  • my fossils 389.webp
    my fossils 389.webp
    9 KB · Views: 1,750
Worthy55 said:
Hi Harry, you have seen most of my shark teeth. I just found this site and I am checking it out. 8) 8) 8) :)
Hi, Worthy . . . glad you're here! Traffic is slow here, but you have to be able to walk before you can run.

Still adding teeth to your collection, I see. Nice color on that meg!
 
I'm certain that there are more shark tooth collectors out there. With the probability that this thread could be a useful search destination, let's revive it.

makotoothdesori.webpmakotoothoxyrhinchus.webp​
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom