What's new

Who Collects Shark Teeth?

Fossiling coastal SC

Thanks to all for taking the time to post the excellent photos.

I hope to do some fossiling this month. One trip, maybe two.

Will be snorkel fossiling the upper Edisto river. Thinking about SCUBA fossiling the Cooper river (Pimlico and Red Bank area). Also found an island on the upper Wando I want to hunt.

Always happy to learn about land locations and water locations of limestone concretions, marl, and gravel beds. Prefer virgin sites. Very attracted to exposure of the Chandler Bridge formation (no overburden). Will trade site info.
 
Some are broken, but there are some nice teeth in the pile, Over 1800 teeth in 4 months..... Found my first one in June ;)
 

Attachments

  • securedownload 2.webp
    securedownload 2.webp
    32.5 KB · Views: 940
The smallest great white shark tooth? Certainly, the smallest one I have in my collection. Show us some of your Carcharodon carcharias teeth.

shark_carcharias_smallest.webp​
 
Deleted by author.
 
Last edited:
My smallest Mako

ForumRunner_20150711_150023.webp
 
We used to go to Myrtle Beach on vacation and I had a few good ones. Those were in an aquarium 30 years ago and lord knows where they ended up.

I do have one I bought at a flea market in Memphis, TN years ago - had to be around 1995.

I can't remember now whether it was $5 or $10.

Tooth.webp
 
Nice, if unusual, souvenir from Memphis!

Here is a very old (270 Ma., or so), fresh-water shark tooth from Oklahoma.
xenacanthus.webp​
 
Hey Guys, anyone know any good locations in Nc for sharks teeth, thanks Toothless
 
Good selection of Florida teeth, Perico!

Here's a quick quiz: Can you identify these three teeth from the options presented?
cretalamna or otodus.webp​
 
Cretalamna Appendiculata is my most educated guess. I'm not for certain even though I looked them up.
 
Cretalamna Appendiculata is my most educated guess. I'm not for certain even though I looked them up.

One of 'em is C. appendiculata. The "B" tooth is center in each image. The "A" and "C" teeth are Otodus obliquus. Significant difference in the roots . . . if you look closely enough.

It's easy to ID the bigger O. obliquus 'cause nothing else at the time grew as large. But, logically, there must be lots of smaller teeth, and these are easily confused with teeth like those of C. appendiculata.

shark_cretalamna or otodus.webp shark_cretalamnaappend.webp​
 
Occasionally, teeth of the two sharks, Carcharocles megalodon and Carcharodon carcharias, may be confused for one another. Ususally, this is a problem with a worn or otherwise damaged tooth . . . especially where the teeth of the two sharks may be found together, as in Florida's Peace River (C. carcharias teeth are uncommon in the Peace River). Megalodon and the great white shark now are generally believed to be not closely related.


shark_meg_GW_labial.webp shark_meg_GW_lingual.webp​
 
Deleted by author.
 
Last edited:
I think the larger one is from megalodons tiny (but I wouldn't swim with it) ancestor.
 

Attachments

  • 1449388457108.webp
    1449388457108.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 142
Lost Crow, did you find those in Texas? I moved from Florida to Texas and find lots of stuff in Florida when I go home to visit, but haven't found spots to find them in Texas yet.

Where in texas? I find some occasionally here in corpus.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom