Last edited:
Upvote 0

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a really nice and well made Clovis. He had a little trouble getting the flute to run and had to set it up a couple times resulting in a deep concavity . All the deltas look great for Clovis.

Last edited:

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks almost new to me, no nicks, no apparent patina. I've never seen pure blue Coshocton. Maybe Metin Erin?

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't help but notice the flake removals diving into the flute channel on the right side.

I see that too but not really unusual. That flute was at least the third attempt on that side. There was a thick spot he couldnt get the flute to run under so he had to trim it again from the side. I'm not proclaiming it was old but whoever made it did so very cloviseske.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Put it under a stereo microscope and you'll be able to tell in 5 seconds if it's old or new. I knapped for 22 yrs. and lean towards new. Gary

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lean toward cast or new as well because of no visible mineralization. I'm not familiar with the characteristics of that material though. All I'm saying is , that side is made exactly correct for Clovis as far as I can tell.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Texas Clovis owned by my friend Justin had exactly the same fluting issue.

Attachments

• IMG_Jul24.jpg
    IMG_Jul24.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Impressive knowledge and insight, guys. It's a cast made & gifted by Matt Rowe -- not sure if it's his own or the museum's.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To the original quest who dun it? it was certainly aliens, ancient man clearly wasn’t smart enough to figure out how to craft such a point and would have perished without knowledge from the stars… seriously though I’m enjoying this thread, a little higher level of analysis, I don’t have any real life experience with paleo so I can’t add much but that base just keeps whispering dalton to me but not the rest… some transitional dalton Clovis hybrid?

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
What threw me about it was the same thing that threw me about the re-based Clovis I thought must be a Redstone -- re-basing or knapping problem workaround at the basal edge changes the whole "look." A characteristic I'd assumed (not being a points guy re. paleo) was primary was actually variable.

That's why I posted it, and thanks for the education !

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
That's a cool piece, I hunt Coshocton County frequently and have never found such a large piece of Blue Coshocton, must've been pretty rare archaically, but not in the paleo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread