Who evers detecting Elkharts McNaughton Park, Knock it off..............

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who ever's detecting Elkhart's McNaughton Park, Knock it off..............

:angry4: One bad apple will spoil the bunch :angry4:

I got out to McNaughton Park Wednesday Nov. 17th for a couple of hours down towards the river and seen some of your holes that you dug.

Let me be the first to tell you that they looked like crap and I did tamp them down for you to help them look less obvious to other people using the park.

There was one spot that I could not do anything with, as there was no soil around to fill the HOLE back in. Hope somebody doesn't step in it and break a leg or an ankle. If that happens, you could just be the one who would get detecting banned in the parks.

If you are going to retrieve a target, pinpoint and cut a plug around your intended target. Then pull the plug out of the ground and set it next to the hole, don't just start shoveling dirt to the side. If you don't understand how to dig a plug, contact any number of us on the Indiana Forum and we will be more than happy to help you learn the proper way of removing a target from the ground.

I certainly hope that these plugs were not caused by someone I know. I'm sure it wasn't 2 of my hunting buddies, as I have seen them retrieve targets and they have never left anything like this.

DJH

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Re: Who ever's detecting Elkhart's McNaughton Park, Knock it off..............

whoever did it probably doesn't have the brains to come to these kind of sites to find the right and wrong way of doing things

OP
OP
diggin jimmy hoffa

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:
whoever did it probably doesn't have the brains to come to these kind of sites to find the right and wrong way of doing things

You're probably right on that. But, it's worth a shot to post it.

My buddies and I have only met one other person down there detecting and he seemed to know what he was doing, so I'm most certain it wasn't him.

There are a lot of lurkers on this site, so I thought I would atleast get the message out for all to see.

Thanks for taking the time to read the post.

DJH

OP
OP
diggin jimmy hoffa

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Studebaker Park was another one.........

that I was to a couple of weeks ago.

Not sure if it is the same person, but there were a few recognizeable dug holes on the soccer field of all places that were not tamped down. :angry4:

Keep in mind, if someone gets hurt, these sites can be off limits.

Leave it like you found it once you retrieve your target :blob8: :blob8: :blob8:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep you may have to watch for the person as he probably isn't very serious about detecting, hopefully he is one of those that tries a few times digs nothing but junk and puts his detector in the closet never to be seen again. Though he could just be lazy as some people just don't care, I have yards to detect, some good ones that will have to wait till next year I guess its real dry here in central indiana. So dry that you cant dig a plug most places without the grass just falling apart, which has really hurt my hunting this year as I'm limited on places to go thats not nice grass or someones yard.

OP
OP
diggin jimmy hoffa

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wingmaster said:
Yep you may have to watch for the person as he probably isn't very serious about detecting, hopefully he is one of those that tries a few times digs nothing but junk and puts his detector in the closet never to be seen again. Though he could just be lazy as some people just don't care, I have yards to detect, some good ones that will have to wait till next year I guess its real dry here in central indiana. So dry that you cant dig a plug most places without the grass just falling apart, which has really hurt my hunting this year as I'm limited on places to go thats not nice grass or someones yard.
Yeah, dry ground here, but am able to get a deep enough plug without the grass falling apart. Definitely not digging in any manicured areas at the moment, but what I seen was ludicrous to say the least.

We got a bit of rain last night, but it's not enought to do anything. We could use a week's worth of rain and I don't think that would be enough considering how powdery the dirts is.

Looks like we need to police our own and hopefully catch'em doing it. Then show them the right way.
Hope it's not the doof from Ohio making his way across the country ;D

DJH

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'll post it here as well but its a good ideal to carry a hand towel after you cut the plug all the dirt dug out of the hole after the plug should go on the hand towel, this makes it easier to find the target and when done just fold the hand towel in half to pour the dirt back in the hole. Its impossible to get all the dirt back in if you just pile it on the grass next to the hole and makes it harder to tell someone even dug a hole. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions