Who here has a spouse who thinks that CRH is CRAZY?

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jun808bug's post a few days ago where he says his wife thinks he's "crazy" for coin roll hunting made me laugh. My wife definitely thinks the same of me, but has finally learned to live with it--that is, to live with me pouring through piles of nickels-- "because it makes you happy" she says now as she shakes her head smiles. And as long as she can't think of anything else around the house that demands my immediate attention, I mostly get away with it. What I want to know is how many of our fellow CRH's out there have a wife (or husband) who thinks the same of them? It might be encouraging to know that we are not alone... :tongue3:

Upvote 0

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Columbus, OH & Beijing, PRC
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At first, my wife hated my CRH'ing. I started with halves in January 2013. I averaged about 20 boxes a week, and did so-so with finding silver (averaged about 1 keeper per box), but she still didn't like it. Too much money tied-up in it, too much risk. Then last July I got the dreaded "we are closing ALL of your your accounts with us, but not telling you why" letter from Chase that pretty much forced me to stop CRH'ing for a while.

I stayed out of CRH'ing until this January, when I decided to only search cents. I average about 12 boxes a week, so low bankroll necessary, easy to dump, and low risk.

My, oh my, how a few good finds (then selling them right away on Ebay) can change a wife's attitude right quick!! Since January I've found three (3) 1999 WAMs (total sales on those was only $250, though), a 1982 Lincoln cent with a huge obverse CUD (which sold for $113.25), and last week I just sold a 2000 Lincoln cent that was struck through a shifting capped die for $111.11. I've also found and sold about 30 assorted 1998 and 2000 WAMs for a total of about $90.

Now my wife asks me if she can help! :laughing7:

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
How does, "You do that all the time and never spend time with me!" sound, or "you are wasting a lot of gas going from place to place to pick up and dump coins" or "Your nuts". Then I make a sale and it's, Hummmm, you got a lot for a little. Happy again. What ya want to do with the money? Ha.

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
At first, my wife hated my CRH'ing. I started with halves in January 2013. I averaged about 20 boxes a week, and did so-so with finding silver (averaged about 1 keeper per box), but she still didn't like it. Too much money tied-up in it, too much risk. Then last July I got the dreaded "we are closing ALL of your your accounts with us, but not telling you why" letter from Chase that pretty much forced me to stop CRH'ing for a while.

I stayed out of CRH'ing until this January, when I decided to only search cents. I average about 12 boxes a week, so low bankroll necessary, easy to dump, and low risk.

My, oh my, how a few good finds (then selling them right away on Ebay) can change a wife's attitude right quick!! Since January I've found three (3) 1999 WAMs (total sales on those was only $250, though), a 1982 Lincoln cent with a huge obverse CUD (which sold for $113.25), and last week I just sold a 2000 Lincoln cent that was struck through a shifting capped die for $111.11. I've also found and sold about 30 assorted 1998 and 2000 WAMs for a total of about $90.

Now my wife asks me if she can help! :laughing7:

Finally someone understands searching cents

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She hates it - and I get it. I was doing about 12-16 boxes a week, now a do a few a month. And that's ok. It was really getting crazy for a while.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife goes back and forth with it. It's annoying on our days off or vacation when I see an new bank and have to stop. She won't how much interest - until I find something that is. I have been fortunate enough to find multiple solid rolls a few times and when i do she immediately comes over and asks "do you need some help?"

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife also thinks I am crazy for CRH-ing, but she realizes it is an easy and convenient way for me to "go into my nothing box" to relieve stress, so she's okay with it most the time. When she is not okay with it, I also remind her from time to time there are many more worse things I could be doing in my spare time, such as go to a bar and drink heavily to cope with stress! :laughing7:

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my wife has likened my CRH activities to "financial masturbation."

:laughing7: Makes one think of an age old CRHing question asked on here a few times.... "Do you wear gloves while CRHing?"

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife hates it, let me repeat myself...." HATES IT "! She use to work has a teller, money is dirty and gross. My kids ask questions everyday, fight over the change from shopping, fight each other on who is going to check the coin star machine. HATES IT, did I say that already? What makes it worse, I have 300,000 cards in the basement and a dozen boxes of crap there too. HATES IT, but that is one reason I do it.....

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife goes to the bank to get the coins and also participates in the searching. So does my daughter and she thinks most everything I do is stupid. :)

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife thought i was nuts when i brought home 300$+ in halves for the first time... but she helped me search and found the first silver.. she wasn't hooked by any means, but got why i wanted to do it, but when i walked out of a bank with over 100$ in solid rolls i think she thinks its a worth whille pastime

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife goes to the bank to get the coins and also participates in the searching. So does my daughter and she thinks most everything I do is stupid. :)

I wish my wife showed as much interest. She's OK with it however cuz the five pickup banks are less than 2 miles from home. I can hit all five on a Saturday morning in about 45-minutes. I then tell her that this is better as a hobby rather than smoking/drinking/ or out coorousing with the guys. Maybe when I begin to sell my stack, she'll come to senses.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread