Who’s got the best warranty and service in the metal detector business?

Goodwood

Oct 17, 2022
What all is your guys and gals experiences with the different metal detector companies in terms of warranty and service/repair? I’m a optics guy and if you own a Leupold or Vortex scope you’ll learn what real service looks like. Awesome no questions asked warranties and great service. Now I’m wondering if any of the metal detecting companies offer the same kind of service? Minelab, Nokta Makro, Fisher, Garrett, XP detectors, Teknetics

Upvote 2

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will say Garrett has probably the best warranty service out of all the manufacturers you mentioned, call them with your problems and they tell you to send it in to them or in my case they sent me the parts Garret is vary vary easy to deal with when it comes to service, very quick to service there products, have never had a Fisher product, Nokta/Macro probably second but you have to go through the process of sending videos when issues arise, thankfully i have never had to have my mine Lab detector serviced for anything, so cant really give any feed back on their service the others you mentioned have never had any of their products so have never dealt with service from any of those

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always had a good experience with Minelab. Keep in mind that the service personnel are not sitting around waiting for a detector to work on. They most likely have a backlog and work on the units as they arrive. Minelab will move a detector to the front of the schedule if it is still under warranty.

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always had a good experience with Minelab. Keep in mind that the service personnel are not sitting around waiting for a detector to work on. They most likely have a backlog and work on the units as they arrive. Minelab will move a detector to the front of the schedule if it is still under warranty.
Not trying to be ...,.. but is ☝️ that a good thing🤔

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kind of like a banking Ad.
"Move to the front of the line."
Minelab under warranty, Deus said a date, shipped out predate.
Easy to talk to.
Now we have an authorized repair in Ontario.
Great 👍
No customs BS.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the clock is ticking on your detector's warranty, wouldn't you prefer to get it back as soon as possible? I think I would.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked for Minelab in the repair center, warranty work had first priority as it should since warranties have an expiration date.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of like a banking Ad.
"Move to the front of the line."
Minelab under warranty, Deus said a date, shipped out predate.
Easy to talk to.
Now we have an authorized repair in Ontario.
Great 👍
No customs BS.
Are you assuming that other detector manufacturer's don't try to get the warrantied detectors back as soon as possible? Bet they have all heard complaints from customers asking why it's taking so long to get their units back.
Minelab's service associate called me the day they received it and let me know the shipper I chose used the box like a football. He assured me my unit wasn't destroyed and gave me the preferred shipping company they have the best luck with.

Last edited:

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry guys, I'm slowly learning how to use this place.

"Keep in mind that the service personnel are not sitting around waiting for a detector to work on."

This is the part that concerns me. Being in the repair industry I don't want to support a company that has known backlogs of repairs. If i did I'd ride Harleys and drive a Dodge🤘😁🤠

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry guys, I'm slowly learning how to use this place.

"Keep in mind that the service personnel are not sitting around waiting for a detector to work on."

This is the part that concerns me. Being in the repair industry I don't want to support a company that has known backlogs of repairs. If i did I'd ride Harleys and drive a Dodge🤘😁🤠
Every manufacturer has had backlogs at one time or another.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my Deus I for SEVEN YEARS and it never broke. I got an additional coil bad out of the box once but had a replacement in TWO days when I sent it back. Now when I sold it this year it looked like a dog chew toy that had been dropped (more than once I admit), dropped in salt water (and it lived), slid off the truck (way more than once), got sat on (yeah, that happened more than once), and got buried when I was going for a glory hole (more than once). It was scratched up so bad you could almost tell the original color was black, and had numerous dents in the shaft. To this day the new owner has had no problem with it with the original batteries! Now EIGHT years later!

Now for my Garrett Carrot, my last Garrett product, the shell is plastic so won't have the paint come off, and it has been wet more than once, but that's ok. I have dropped it numerous times(hundreds?), have buried it numerous times and sometimes (actually a lot of times) use it as a digging tool or hammer. It is at least 5 years old and has never broken.

Want to do the math on that?

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XP has a 5 year warranty out of the box.. I have had my original D1 for 12 years.. still going

strong with not a single issue.. Okay.. I did the batteries in the remote once..

I have a D2.. still barely any hours on it.. and it looks to be great.

Now that said.. I also have an original Minelab excal 11.. It is over 20 years old.. and no problems there either..

But I have not ever taken it off the [improved] shaft I made.. No chest or belt mounts to cause stress on the coil wire.. I did put Grey Ghosts on.. only change on that

Micheal

Blackcloud71

Feb 13, 2024
What all is your guys and gals experiences with the different metal detector companies in terms of warranty and service/repair? I’m a optics guy and if you own a Leupold or Vortex scope you’ll learn what real service looks like. Awesome no questions asked warranties and great service. Now I’m wondering if any of the metal detecting companies offer the same kind of service? Minelab, Nokta Makro, Fisher, Garrett, XP detectors, Teknetics
I wish I still had my White's 5900 DI PRO.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm both sorry and not that I can't speak to service (yet). The only thing better than great service is never needing service. I'm new to the hobby, and have only had my Dēus II for a couple months. So far, so good great! 😁

As to warranty, AFAIK, XP's runs the longest at 5 years; most others are 2 years or less. Also, from their website:
In addition, at the end of this 5 year warranty, XP Metal Detectors products are also repairable for a minimum of 5 additional years.
IDK if this is standard in Europe; it has to do with something called LONGTIME® that they ascribe to.
LONGTIME® is the first European label that identifies and promotes products designed to last.
XP Metal Detectors products listed below are LONGTIME® certified to ensure longevity, robustness and repairability.
Maybe I'm naïve/gullible, but after a lifetime of enduring/suffering planned obsolescence, that spoke to me.

Anyhow, the above weighed significantly in my choice, other factors notwithstanding. YMMV.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are you assuming that other detector manufacturer's don't try to get the warrantied detectors back as soon as possible? Bet they have all heard complaints from customers asking why it's taking so long to get their units back.
Minelab's service associate called me the day they received it and let me know the shipper I chose used the box like a football. He assured me my unit wasn't destroyed and gave me the preferred shipping company they have the best luck with.
A tad late in replying to your question.

I didn't say anything about any other company as I only referenced the 2.
Though let me get to the other warranty/repairs.

Whites detector-drove to Sweet Home Or. They didd the repair-multiple upgrades ($375.00 worth) in the early 80's for free-now Mr White was then man that knew how to treat a loyal customer.

Greyghost headphones-repaired and back on the head in short order-no hassle repair-no cost.

Sunday inline probe-rewired-back in short order-no hassle repair.

Garrett black PP out of warranty-cheaper to buy another-it had the same issue-returned to dealer-replaced.

I guess the thing is always have another unit to detect with then the get it back today thoughts are put to rest.

The best warranty is the one we never have to use, and if it goes within a short period of time after the expiry date they still honour that warranty.
These are the best companies to deal with actually, or a local dealer.

This doesn't always apply to just detectors but other items as well.
The warranty card can be dated by the dealer, and then the unit can be replaced, or repaired.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm both sorry and not that I can't speak to service (yet). The only thing better than great service is never needing service. I'm new to the hobby, and have only had my Dēus II for a couple months. So far, so good great! 😁

As to warranty, AFAIK, XP's runs the longest at 5 years; most others are 2 years or less. Also, from their website:

IDK if this is standard in Europe; it has to do with something called LONGTIME® that they ascribe to.

Maybe I'm naïve/gullible, but after a lifetime of enduring/suffering planned obsolescence, that spoke to me.

Anyhow, the above weighed significantly in my choice, other factors notwithstanding. YMMV.
Garrett has increased the warranties on all of their products to three years now, on all there detectors, coils and pin pointers also if you purchased a detector or any other of Garrett's equipment with in a certain time period prior to the increase to three years they are also covered

its like my Garrett Gold Master 24K i purchased it about 6 months before Garrett implemented the 3 year warranty and now my warranty is good for three years instead of two years

I believe Nokta's warranty is three years also but with Nokta you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get them to warranty anything it is a pain in the Butt with Nokta's warranty

Garrett's is pretty simple call them up they issue a return label and you send it back to them or they send you the parts to fix the easier things needing warranty

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max international
Garrett AT Gold
Radio Shack MICRONTA 3001
AT propointer
34'' Bushpro stainless steel tree planters shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only machine i have had warranty work done on is my Garrett ATmax international. Excellent service!, though BC recently and sadly lost one of Garretts repair technicians along with retail outlet..

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions