why do rings,,

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
get lost ?? so much anyway, i'm on my 9th in a year and a half..and i just got back to digging everything questionable.. i'm sure i've missed some when i was in my coin only phase.. i was told a while back at the beach loss was due to shrinkage putting down on towels and such,, but i only woods and path hunt.. any ideas ?? thanks..green 1

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most people (non-th'ers) I tell about the rings I've found don't understand how all that jewelry ended up in the ground. Here's a small list...

- Cold water shrinks fingers (like you said)
- Tanning lotions, etc. make fingers slippery
- Sweat makes fingers slippery
- Gloves can cause rings to come off when removed
- Digging with hands
- Kids grabbing mommy's hand
- Throwing objects
- and on and on...

Couple these with physical activity and you end up with lost jewelry.

HH!
TBGO

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Yep, TBGO beat me to it... I've known three gals that have lost rings in the winter in shopping mall parking lots. For that reason I try to keep my eyes open and check the area that all the snow gets plowed into. And I've even checked the places they bring the snow to when they remove it... but there can be a LOT of junk.

S

southbound

I seem to get lucky finding a lot of rings. I keep my detector in the ring mode.
Vern

A

Angela (Australia)

Sorry about that, I went to post it, and my reply disappeared!!!
What I was going to say, is, sometimes when I'm detecting below an old site, I find personal items that get 'lost' with the building refuse. I've stumbled upon old miner's huts in the bush, that still have a table inside with the cutlery and plates on it, chairs and a heshian bed. Sometimes, old timers just 'up' and left all their things behind, finding no further use for them.
Angela

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Angela (Australia) said:
Sorry about that, I went to post it, and my reply disappeared!!!
What I was going to say, is, sometimes when I'm detecting below an old site, I find personal items that get 'lost' with the building refuse. I've stumbled upon old miner's huts in the bush, that still have a table inside with the cutlery and plates on it, chairs and a heshian bed. Sometimes, old timers just 'up' and left all their things behind, finding no further use for them.
Angela
Hey Angela I have found places like that also...like they went out and had every intention of coming back....but alas....

I dont know why people lose rings....I am just glad they do!!!!

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just come off sometimes and why people go in the water with rings on!...just don't know, But the guy that lost this one, was not a happy camper! >:(

Attachments

• IMGA0008.JPG
    IMGA0008.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 276
  • IMGA0008.JPG
    IMGA0008.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 263

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave N Japan said:
Just come off sometimes and why people go in the water with rings on!...just don't know, But the guy that lost this one, was not a happy camper! >:(

Wow nice ring .. does have any text on the inside ???

USTiger

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
I've lost several wedding bands. The first was building kitchen cabinets. The fine sawdust and orbital sander was the culprit. The second was dressing a deer.

OP
OP
Green1

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
thanks for the input,,,, i lost one working on my car once come to think of it,, what kind of outfit did you dress the deer in ??

A

Angela (Australia)

I love that ring Dave, it looks Japanese. I wonder what it says. You should should find out! I'm curious!
HH Angela :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread