Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps if we could get a video of one of these critters giving us a bad name, it may take some of the pressure off detectorists. I guess it would be very time consuming, unless you had a wildlife camera set up. People see us dig holes, but never the critters.

One more reason we need invisibility suits for MD'ing, out of sight, out of mind...out of trouble!
Even though we are doing the right thing people have gotten the wrong impression of us.

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an interesting question- It is tempting to get on the "berate the morons" bandwagon , but I am seeing far too many of
these reports of critters re opening plugs to ignore this as a possibility for perhaps a lot more of these occasions than I would
have considered plausible .

I had that experience with Racoons in my own yard. Moved in to a new house here in Florida and the first thing I did was detect the yard.
The next morning I look out and all the holes I had covered were now dug up. What the heck....I said to myself. I know I covered my holes in.
So...I go about filling in the holes again. Next morning.....same thing.....holes were dug up. Racoons are bad about digging up fresh dirt.
Since I have been here a while now....I had a talk with the racoons......and they don't dig near as often as they used to. I suppose they were welcoming
me to the neighborhood. I have several of them that come by and visit on a regular basis.....we're friends now. I do my digging at the beach.....

buddy2.jpg racoons.jpg

This is Buddy on the left and that's Mom with Moe, Larry & Curly on the right.

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The holes they leave are called A holes just as the people who leave them should be referred to.IMHO

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
The holes they leave are called A holes just as the people who leave them should be referred to.IMHO

Well said. There's an A hole that detects in a large park near me as well and digs huge holes that are never filled in. I have been blamed for these holes more than once by park patrons as there are easily more than 100 there. Never have seen the guy and he better hope I never do so I do not have to stuff the A hole down one of his own holes. I'll shut up now so I won't further incriminate myself....

OK, I wouldn't really do this but it sure is annoying when one person spoils the fun for all of us. HH! :tongue3:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because they are idiots...

And If I see em do it... they will get an earful...

Something to the effect of...

FILL IN YOUR HOLES ____HEAD ! ! !

To leave ANY thing behind is also a ____HEAD trait...

Use your imagination to fill in the blanks... ANY word will do.

NOTHING pisses me off more...
Than someone disrespecting this already fragile way of life... and something I love...
You might as well disrespect me or my family.
To me it's the same thing.

I am no rug that will just lie there...
I will say something no matter who or what.

Mding is such a fragile freedom of little places left that allows my love to exist... And I know I am not alone when I say this...
And no one is gonna screw it up just because they are lazy...
Selfish...
And un-caring of others.

We have all done it... either by accident or whatever...
But for the sake of MDrs' everywhere...

Just do the right thing.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh P/S > IF you are gonna "leave" stuff you found...

Leave the silver and gold...

Preferably the gold.

IF you are not gonna fill a hole with the sand/dirt YOU removed...

Then replace sand with balls of crumpled up paper...

U.S. Currency paper.

:P

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My motto is be like a ghost. People can say they saw you, but when they look they can never tell you were there. I don't even take a digging tool. I use a screwdriver as a probe where I hunt. I can pinpoint to where I can make a tiny cut to pull out most of my targets. I disturb the soil less than a lawn aerator.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ignorance? Stupidity? Laziness? Lack of moral character? Take your pick.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
holes

i am tired of hearin about the whole thing, there are jerks in every hobby and to expect things will change is simply unrealistic:BangHead:

Rogerv

Jan 25, 2013
Beltsville Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garret GTA-1000
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Bounty Hunter (came as BOGO from Kellyco)
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worked with a guy at the telephone company that looked like a mean WWE wrestler. We were leaving a McDonalds and a carload of people opened their window and dumped their trash on the ground he walked up picked it up and threw it back in their car and dared them to say anything I think he scared the S--t out of them because they then carried it to the trash can 15' away. Now days you could get shot doing that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread