No it means when you get there you found something Special.
If someone could get a banner for finding a 1964 Dime
everyone would say, Why Bother
Special to whom Jeff?
The roman coin medallion that I recently found was special to the person who had lost it as it was a family heirloom, which could not be replaced as it was given to him by his mother who recently passed away. It certainly was special to me as it was my first find of something of this nature and I definitely wanted to keep it as a bragging trophy. It did not have a high dollar value because of its condition.
However, if not authentic, which is probable it could be of high value once the artist who made it is identified as I have not been able to find anything like it. It could take years to determine the artist’s true identity, which would satisfy my curiosity and solve the enigma of why someone would go to all the trouble of re creating a roman coin which did not look like the original? Most likely it was done at a later time influenced by a different school of artists
Why is it Special? I would say special must be in the eyes of others who have nothing to do with the find, and that the finder needs to be a researcher, promoter and story teller.
I would further say that finding a 1964 dime could be special depending on the story which goes with it.
For instance, it could be a key piece of evidence needed to solve a brutal crime. Or the finder may of stretched his arm to the heavens in delight screaming silver and was struck by lightning. Too keep up with shark week the dime could be in the clenched fist of a severed arm found in the sharks stomach.
Just because something was given a banner thus not make the object special! I have seen a banner given a gold bullion coin which is currently struck as a restrike of an older date. The value of such a coin is based on its purity and weight; it is neither unique nor rare. I feel what was special was the finder’s ability to share his excitement and enthusiasm with others to share his lust.
It’s not surprising that there are so few banners as special is subjective and there are few posters including myself, who know how to vote banner.
Sorry for being frustrated with this Jeff, but I have really had difficulty in dealing with my above recent find which has opened up Pandora’s Box on ethics for me.
Even, though I never expected a banner for this find, I am disappointed that I was not awarded an Honorable Mention for returning the find to the owner.
Are there special rules that I need to follow for an honorable mention?
I would like to show this to my grandchildren,as they do not understand why I returned the coin, which they were not able to touch and feel , which they usually do to share the excitement after the treasure hunt.