Why this is a great hobby. Simple dog tag is a link to someone's life story.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice and crisp 30 degrees today, so I headed for the woods. Found a few 1930's shotgun shells and a 1981 dog tag. Not a thrilling day, but the dog tag was an amazing link to the past.

By doing a Google search of the dog owner's name, I managed to trace this person's life! Click on the links below and you can follow this person's time on this earth. This is what makes this hobby so much fun. A mundane find like a dog tag can reveal so much history.

DSC06019.JPG DSC06020.JPG

Sandra-Oleary-Malone - User Trees - Genealogy.com

Robert Ciscoe Obituary - Towanda, PA | Daily Review

Upvote 7

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm torn. Something doesn't feel right to me about posting the personal info even though it's public. Great researching however. :occasion14:

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bob was a loser. Maybe Sandra is still around to tell about the dog tag.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm torn. Something doesn't feel right to me about posting the personal info even though it's public. Great researching however

Not sure what your problem would be in regard to posting this info. As you stated, it's public information. The obituary is a tribute to the person and the other info is meant to be used in genealogy research.

I was hoping to return the dog tag to this person. That was my main reason for Googling his name. Guess I just can't win with some people here...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your success in the research.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research is part of the fun of this hobby, and I commend you for wanting to do research to return a simple dog tag. Most people would have just put them in a box or display case, or maybe even thrown it away.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure what your problem would be in regard to posting this info. As you stated, it's public information. The obituary is a tribute to the person and the other info is meant to be used in genealogy research.

I was hoping to return the dog tag to this person. That was my main reason for Googling his name. Guess I just can't win with some people here...

C'mon Tim! I'm not knocking you - it's me. I said you did great research, I just would have tried to make contact with the family and kept most of the info I found private. Just a different approach.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/505507-phone-call-i-made-june-8-2012-a.html

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, Terry, I guess I misinterpreted what you stated. I think the lesson learned here is don't put too much info on a dog tag! Just put a phone number and maybe the dog's name on the tag.

If the info on the tag was current, I wouldn't have posted it. I did check the phone number and it's being used by a business in Johnston, RI now. The address is the old style we used here at least 30 years ago, so that's no help. Everyone uses a street name and number since the 911 service was put in use.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dog tags can be some pretty interesting finds. I found a 1908 tag with only "Male", a number and the county name. On a lark, I went to the court house to see if they still had a record of it, but unfortunately no. Records were lost decades ago in a fire. Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed how many court house fires we've had during our history? Anyway, I wanted to ID the owner, and possibly return the dog tag to an heir. Not a gold college ring, but I think that would be pretty cool.

KandiKlover

Jan 7, 2017
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (got for free)
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I like that, the history has always been the big part of the MD interest for me, imagining what was going on here at the time or where the item been and who had it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread