Wild Pigs

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
:o Yep folks, wild pigs, and about twenty of them.
We went out thursday here in Osage County to follow some trail markers
and check out a small cave above a spring. Following the stream downhill from near an oilwell we had hiked about 3/4 mile when we heard the rustling stampede in the creekbed below us, (the stream got bigger), and saw 3 that would weigh about 100 lbs. each. A little further downstream I showed them a face profile on the edge of a boulder, a pair of sevens, a lone seven, and some directional vees. A little further we walked and again flushed the pigs. This time we saw the bulk of the herd. The sun came out and the breeze died down and at about 2 miles in we flushed the pigs a third time. Then we decided to turn back. We had no guns. We were getting hot and tired. The air was getting thick. 2 miles from the truck trying to remember how much further I had walked to get there, (are we there yet?), 5 years ago in 2006 when I saw the cave the trail markers lead to.
So we gave up this time. (note to self: take guns next time) (another note to self: don't kill if you don't have to) (one more: 100 lb. hog dead a mile from the truck ain't gonna carry itself)
So anyone else been out and about? -bill

okiedowser

Dec 26, 2009
Mena,Ar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it to Dang Hot ,WE are waiting on at least 80* we to soft. :laughing9: But we get starter soon. :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
Gooner

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
Hey Okie. Turns out it seems to be a naturally eroded volcanic steam vent that was opened further by the slaves during the explorations for wealth. All the markers are Spanish style with classic textbook examples. On our way we came upon a small adit (tunnel) in the sandstone that is typical, but it only went about ten feet. Gold dust, flour gold, hot with mercury, possibly some platinum group metals in sandstone. I chipped a few samples, powdered and panned, studied under the microscope, and it is the same stuff. Might be worth working, no traps in this one. There may be a trap a short distance from the mouth on the outside. Fractured back and ribs of the tunnel from them steam blasting so ceiling is dangerous. Age? Probably from over 450 years ago. Earthworks and graves, many graves, about 1/4 mile from the small tunnel. The main camp. It had been about five years since I was here before, and there were no feral hogs in the area then. East from here a few miles is more evidence of mining and is the same formation. Some friends are trying to get me to spend a couple of months in California drywashing and prospecting. I'm still thinking about it.
We didn't make it to the big hole but we had a real adventure. I wish I could have filmed it and explained the markers, especially the faces and the sevens. The sevens are intriguing, upside down, reversed, at odd angles, one directly above the small adit tells me another gold dust mine. Two offset just a few yards away tells me of a few more paystreaks nearby. Profile of a face looking towards te small tunnel. :icon_thumright:-bill

dirtyray

Greenie
Jun 12, 2011
If any one wants too shoot wild hogs give me a yell i have lots of them its a FREE HUNT NO COST TOO YOU ILL EVEN HELP YA CLEAN THEM

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
As long as we're talking pigs..I can show you how to clean one in 10mins and have everything ready for a bag in your pack or straight to the cooler. No gutting, only minor skinning in targeted areas..

As a recommendation, you might consider packing in what you need to prepare a smallish hog as campfire vittles and just stay overnight... Much more time onsite that way and nothing like fresh, free meat! Complicates a treasure hunt to be sure but at least you get to have two kinds of fun at once! An AR15 doesn't weigh much and can be a very effective pig gun-remember to shoot for the ear and you'll be knee deep in pork!

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We got plenty down here. I wouldn't know the first thing about dressing one, and some of the ones I'v seen, I couldn't load up without gin poles. When it gets colder I think I will take the plunge. I have an old SKS.

dirtyray

Greenie
Jun 12, 2011
yes you cant go wrong with the AR-15 ive used them on MANY MANY hogs 200-400 yards drops them without a problem altho i did see some city feller shoot one LOL A BUNCH OF TIME with a 30-06 lol ive never used more than my ar-15 and the biggest ive killed was 376 pounds two shots ...go bushmaster ar-15/ar-10/ar-30.....i own all three!!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
An SKS will work too! I just have more experience with an AR.. It's all about WHERE you shoot them, not WHAT you shoot them with! I've seen many hogs hit with .300mag and .7mags that either got po'd enough to get after us when tracking, or just got clean away! And yet, the venerable .223/.556 will put them down with authority...if hit right. When/if you get ready, pm me and I'll get the cleaning method all lined out for you to follow. Even if you haven't done it before, remember, there is plenty of meat on a small pig! Go slow and you'll do a lot better job than you thought you could.

Now if we're still talking AR's, I find myself wanting to stray lately... That 6.8spc is a tempting little hottie that I can't keep my eyes off of!! LOL..

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gooner said:
Hey Okie. Turns out it seems to be a naturally eroded volcanic steam vent that was opened further by the slaves during the explorations for wealth. All the markers are Spanish style with classic textbook examples. On our way we came upon a small adit (tunnel) in the sandstone that is typical, but it only went about ten feet. Gold dust, flour gold, hot with mercury, possibly some platinum group metals in sandstone. I chipped a few samples, powdered and panned, studied under the microscope, and it is the same stuff. Might be worth working, no traps in this one. There may be a trap a short distance from the mouth on the outside. Fractured back and ribs of the tunnel from them steam blasting so ceiling is dangerous. Age? Probably from over 450 years ago. Earthworks and graves, many graves, about 1/4 mile from the small tunnel. The main camp. It had been about five years since I was here before, and there were no feral hogs in the area then. East from here a few miles is more evidence of mining and is the same formation. Some friends are trying to get me to spend a couple of months in California drywashing and prospecting. I'm still thinking about it.
We didn't make it to the big hole but we had a real adventure. I wish I could have filmed it and explained the markers, especially the faces and the sevens. The sevens are intriguing, upside down, reversed, at odd angles, one directly above the small adit tells me another gold dust mine. Two offset just a few yards away tells me of a few more paystreaks nearby. Profile of a face looking towards te small tunnel. :icon_thumright:-bill

"7"s might be upside down "L"s......look in direction of small straight line

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I took the step with the ferrell hogs. We could hear them rooting around in a dry creek bed (they are all dry creek beds in Oklahoma now.) just below my cousins's house. The only thing he had was a .22 Nylon 66 and a .410, so I went out to the pick up and got my .45ACP. We came up right above them. I shot a young one at about 15yards and the rest just milled around. So I shot his twin sister. Cousin took them to a local processer. We guessed a little over 100 pounds each.I don't know what the processor will charge, but the ammo was ten cents. Will let you know the meat total and price.
I have shot a bunch of Javalina with the old .45 over the years in Webb county, Tx. but always gave them to someone. People usually made javalina/deer sausage and some of it was pretty good....some not so good.
When you ambush a bunch of javalinas you better have something to climb on and enough ammo for a long siege.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well gooner I wondered how this could be a treasure legend when you were talkin about wild pigs. But you got right into it. Gold don't occur in sandstone so they say, but there's a lot of stories about it bein found there. (Turkey Creek in western Oklahoma) Gold is where you find it anyway. I did not think there was that much volcanic activity, if any, in the area you're talkin about though. I do know how to butcher out a hog, as I watched my family do it when I was growin up, and my son and them go out on the South Canadian and shoot them with AK's. Landowners are more than happy for them to be out there.

OP
OP
Gooner

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
RGINN said:
Well gooner I wondered how this could be a treasure legend when you were talkin about wild pigs. But you got right into it. Gold don't occur in sandstone so they say, but there's a lot of stories about it bein found there. (Turkey Creek in western Oklahoma) Gold is where you find it anyway. I did not think there was that much volcanic activity, if any, in the area you're talkin about though. I do know how to butcher out a hog, as I watched my family do it when I was growin up, and my son and them go out on the South Canadian and shoot them with AK's. Landowners are more than happy for them to be out there.
Well we were on a treasure hunt when we flushed the herd. And hey goverton, they really look like sevens but either way the long arms point to the mouth of the small cave/tunnel. In the region are several little places where it appears as though the sand boiled, before it became stone, and with this in mind and the inclusions in the formations I think it is from super heat. No volcanoes here, but something vented at one time. Of course the inclusions could have washed in, or were washed around. Associated with the formations in some places is a sudden narrow layer of shell fossils and a litte plant life fossils as though everything died at the same time.
I've read about gold in sandstone in Australia. Sandstone, silica carbonate, quartz dust, it could happen, it could have traces of almost anything. Of course with the action of currents there are natural concentrations of heavier material in places. The San Saba silver mine(s), that region is sandstone, predominantly, and I've read that silver was found in sandstone.

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gooner, I know of a simular cave around wynonna. Hogs are everwhere. We went morelle mushroom/arrowhead hunting a couple of years ago on Pond creek and it looked like a bombing range from those darn things. Your site sounds amazing. I have found some interesting old trails/sites in my area outside of barnsdall.

OP
OP
Gooner

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
ammo_u said:
Gooner, I know of a simular cave around wynonna. Hogs are everwhere. We went morelle mushroom/arrowhead hunting a couple of years ago on Pond creek and it looked like a bombing range from those darn things. Your site sounds amazing. I have found some interesting old trails/sites in my area outside of barnsdall.
Near Wynona are the Goat Caves and a few miles further are the Dalton Caves. The "Dalton Caves" are on Delbert Kyler's land, (used to be Craddock Ranch), and a few things have been found in the area, including a $20 gold coin and a $5 gold coin, a single action colt army revolver, and a .38-.40 caliber rifle. Pond Creek is in northern Osage County, coming from the Prairie Preserve and feeding into the Caney River and on into Hulah Lake.
Those hogs can really tear a place up.
I have found some nice points on Pond Creek but by far my best find from there is a nutting stone with about 15 holes. The sandstone rock it is on weighs about 30 pounds and I had to carry it about half a mile. Johnny Long has it sitting by his fireplace, (on loan.)

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep the Dalton caves are what I am talking about. I know of some neat caves and a trail that obviously had some traffic in the day. I found a site with a wall built to make an over hang into a shelter...there are some red ochre markings in this area and a neat little cave that has been buried. If you ever want someone to look around with and check this stuff out give me a shout. I am a dissabled vet stay at home dad these days. There are some formations at the back end of skiatook lake submerged I want to poke around at. I am wanting to get scuba certified in tulsa soon. Love reading about your explorations.

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is some really good fishing to be done on Pond Creek. My uncle Perry is the foreman over Tall Grass.

Lonnie

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Do you guys arrowhead hunt much over in Oklahoma? I have been looking for someone to go with but I'm not having much luck. I moved to a place over here in SW Arkansas and generally go to a place where I have to pay. I haven't had much luck but I like getting out and hunting when the opportunity presents itself.

If you guys ever need an extra body please let me know. I'm always interested!!

OP
OP
Gooner

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
ammo_u said:
There is some really good fishing to be done on Pond Creek. My uncle Perry is the foreman over Tall Grass.
Okay, you have my crappie catching attention. I fished up there when I was a kid. Also I know a story that centers the location around North Pond Creek and the general location of a stage depot.
I know my way around on the oil lease roads, having done much work in the area during the early eighties. We should get together this spring for a few excursions to the hidden valleys. I have arrowheads from there.

OP
OP
Gooner

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
Lonnie said:
Do you guys arrowhead hunt much over in Oklahoma? I have been looking for someone to go with but I'm not having much luck. I moved to a place over here in SW Arkansas and generally go to a place where I have to pay. I haven't had much luck but I like getting out and hunting when the opportunity presents itself.

If you guys ever need an extra body please let me know. I'm always interested!!
I hunt arrowheads even when I'm not hunting them. I just look whenever I can. I got a new place to cut firewood recently and already knew of some Spanish style markers in the area. Now I have permission to look around and explore a bit. Just another place and another trail to trace. I consider it sheer luck sometimes, to be so blessed. This place is about three miles from the house. Of course the best by far place to hunt arrowheads near Pawhuska is no longer plowed, making it nearly impossible to find anything nowadays, but if they ever plow it again, it is less than a half mile from the house.
I wouldn't know where to put you, Lonnie. Soil conditions have to be perfect on the places on the Caney, and others hunt up there, so timing is scientific guesswork, or the good places are already thoroughly picked over by folks who live closer and have easier access. Plus a few places up yonder that I keep secret because I have permission with that stipulation. Good luck buddy.

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gooner said:
ammo_u said:
Okay, you have my crappie catching attention. I fished up there when I was a kid. Also I know a story that centers the location around North Pond Creek and the general location of a stage depot.
I know my way around on the oil lease roads, having done much work in the area during the early eighties. We should get together this spring for a few excursions to the hidden valleys. I have arrowheads from there.
Yes we should. Is there not an old stage coach stop off the highway between Skiatook and Avant? I stopped by the bridge going into Pawhuska the other day to help somone fix a tire and found pink kay county chert right near the entrance to the plowed feild on the West side of the HW prior to the bridge. So you worked the oil patch. My grandfather was Charlie King who ran a lot of Robinowitzes stuff for them. There are some nice places around the Caney past the primitave camps sites. Its all close to pond creek as well. There are some really neat sites where I grew up around Canadian OK as well. That place is thick with treasure legends. I know where the old settlement graveyard is complete with transitional gravesites. Do you ever check Kaw or Middle Bird?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread