What's new

Wildfires and minerals

Kevinrose.1

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2017
Messages
58
Reaction score
50
Golden Thread
0
Location
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question. Do wildfires affect mineral deposits? If so, how?
 
Well, as far as I know, the rock under the influence of temperature can split, and inside there can be a gold mine, for example.
 
Not to be a smartA or anything, but they will make them more visible on the surface after some good rains wash away the soot/etc.

As to what I think your question is going for, it could make a small difference in that heat can speed chemical reactions like oxidation, but I don't think it would be much, and it sure wouldn't extend very deep into the rock.

Do you have a specific mineral in mind?
 
I was gonna go quartz crystal hunting but the area is on fire. So was wondering if this might have a negative affect on those close to the surface.
 
No, it wont affect the quartz. There might be a spot that gets hot enough quick enough to thermally crack a crystal, but it will be rare if at all. Qtz is about as chemically inactive as it gets.

Wait until after a good rain and it should be good hunting.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom