What's new

Wilkinson Pattern

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
7,742
Reaction score
12,710
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last one for tonight. 517"D, .923"L and weighs 442.4 grains.
 

Attachments

  • Wilkinson 1.webp
    Wilkinson 1.webp
    59.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Wilkinson 2.webp
    Wilkinson 2.webp
    51.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Wilkinson 3.webp
    Wilkinson 3.webp
    59.9 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0
Awesome bullets! Nice to see so many different types on here.

D.
 
That is neat...d2
 
Awesome bullets! Nice to see so many different types on here.

D.

I agree it's becoming like an ID & Guide thing .

I like it.
 
Great find I found that bullet in Kentucky used by the Army Of Tennessee, I haven't seen to many peaople dig these.
 
Great find I found that bullet in Kentucky used by the Army Of Tennessee, I haven't seen to many peaople dig these.

I have to fess up, I didn't dig it. My brother, JoeG gave it to me along with several other bullets. But, he did dig it in western Maryland.
 
Whoever wrote the ID-tag for that bullet is incorrect. Wilkinson Pattern bullets have slanting body-grooves. This bullet has two "square" grooves. I am personally familiar with it because I dug one in the Petersburg Siege Lines about 30 years ago. At that time it was called a (Confederate) Macon Carbine bullet... but the authors of the "Handbook Of Civil war Bullets & Cartridges" were unable to find any documentation of a Macon Arsenal connection, so it is listed in the Handbook as simply a CS "Unknown .50 Carbine" bullet. See the Handbook, page 27, bullet #70B.
 
TCG, thanks for the information and, as usual, you are correct. I looked in my recently acquired Thomas books and found a drawing of the Wilkinson and there is no confusing the two.
 

Attachments

  • 20180621_153409.webp
    20180621_153409.webp
    70.4 KB · Views: 87
Very nice bullet and dang CB knows so much it's amazing!
 
I've dug a couple new Austrian bullets. They're of the wilkinson type.
 
That is a cool bullet. The school won't leave you hunt anymore. I've tried.
 
I'm pretty sure that these two are Wilkinsons, they do look a little different from the square grooves....they are the only ones I've ever found and they both came from the same CS camp.--JB
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3916.webp
    IMG_3916.webp
    123.9 KB · Views: 74

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom