What's new

Will gold plating get encrusted in corrosion?

-Keith

Tenderfoot
Joined
May 17, 2010
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
White's Classic II
Yesterday I dug part of a pocket watch (the outer ring and stem - none of the mechanism or covers). Straight our of the ground, parts of the case were completely clean and and golden, other similar portions of the case were encrusted with with up to about a 1mm of thick of greenish black corrosion. With a little effort, for example picking a with my hinger nail, a little path of corrosion will flake off leaving more completely clear golden metal with no patina or pitting. There is part of the case with a small nick (probably down by me), and I can see that the golden medal is just on the surface).

My impressions was that gold and gold plating will not become encrusted with corrosion but I can't think of any other metal that is gold in color and that will not have any patina once the crust is removed.

Any thoughts?

In any case, I plan to clean it up and use it as christmas ordainment next year.
 
Yes it will flake off. A member recommended Naval oil and great care when cleaning and picking off the encrustations on Civil war buttons years ago..If you want to save any of the gold on it.
 
Just to clarify, the golden metal does not flake of, at least so far, just the corrosion.

I thought that corrosion would not encrust on gold. Is this wrong?
 
Sorry,, are you talking about "plating" or "gold leaf"? If it is brass, encrustations can get under the plating and push it off too.
 
I have found few things that were actually gold.. I never had any encrustation on them.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom