Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personal preference. Most people want screens. The numerical display of conductivity is more accurate to sound, since different people hear differently. Both can be learned, though sound only is less forgiving when learning to detect. It's almost always a roll of the dice when digging. A perfect pull tab signal could be a gold ring. A perfect nickel could be a tab. In the end, whether it's sound or display, in most cases it should be dug.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow a week ago I introduced the term fanboy. Man it has stuck around. In the end regardless of who you are we all have a right to defend, praise, or zing. I think part of the reason Tesoro is getting lambasted is due to asking us to name the cazador and then not a peep in 3 years from Tesoro.

Wow, you introduced it 3 weeks ago? I have been seeing 'fanboy' on this & other (motorcycles, etc...) forums for months. Maybe you should trademark it? Lol

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call me nostalgic but I don't want to see a Tesoro that looks like a Eurotek, Delta, Racer etc.

I understand, & the performance is what counts. I only wonder how many new detectorists will be attracted enough to purchase something that looks so retro. That is why I believe they will continue to be a small part of the marketplace. To each his own as another poster said, but I like having info on my screen, like ground phase numbers, fe-co, depth gauge, etc...These things make target recovery quicker & let me know about changing ground conditions, etc...which makes detecting more fun & less frustrating IMO.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used
USING-Tesoro DeLeon, Vaquero, Compadre

OWNED-Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand, & the performance is what counts. I only wonder how many new detectorists will be attracted enough to purchase something that looks so retro. That is why I believe they will continue to be a small part of the marketplace. To each his own as another poster said, but I like having info on my screen, like ground phase numbers, fe-co, depth gauge, etc...These things make target recovery quicker & let me know about changing ground conditions, etc...which makes detecting more fun & less frustrating IMO.
Well for people that like tesoro and display they have the tesoro DeLeon and Cortes. i think the company will do fine. There are plenty of people that like them and not everyone wants a complicated digital machine. To each there own. If you like another brand go with that one. If you like tesoro then go with tesoro. Other wise just get out and detect. To me tesoro makes that fun. I hear a good beep and get excited to dig and see what I found. it is not as exciting with my other non tesoro digital display machine. I'm spending to much time walking around a target and looking at the number jump around trying to decide if it's a good enough target for me to dig. The tesoro, I get a good solid beep and I'm digging. That to me makes the fun factor and simplicity of the tesoro better.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been reading alot of Nasa Toms posts about the F75 lately.....just recently read one about finding old coins in iron with the small coil....the recommended settings were as much sense as possible, disc at 6(nocks out most nails) and mono-tone! He states that anything more than the one tone will give multiple tones and just sound "trashy" causing the target to be missed. The first thought i had was :"he's running the F75 like a Tesoro"!!! He also stated that he dug a barber dime at 8 or 9" that was masked by nails and gave a vdi of 14! Screens wont help there...most wouldnt dream of digging a 14....but it "sounded" good.....

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly! I've played around with the MXT in single tone using just enough disc to knock out small iron. And just like a tesoro when you hear a nice boing, round sound dig it!

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly! I've played around with the MXT in single tone using just enough disc to knock out small iron. And just like a tesoro when you hear a nice boing, round sound dig it!

That is impressive Fletch, I always use the old 16 penny nail & quarter test. My X-Terra will ID the quarter & ignore the nail with the 10.5" DD 7.5 khz coil (but not with the 18.75 khz DD 6" coil) My Vaquero would disc quarter out along WITH the iron. I still prefer 4 tones or more (don't MXT All Pro & MX5 have multi-tones? Or maybe that was a bad move by White's?) or when relic/old coin hunting, I can just run 2 tones & use my ears to dig everything but low iron tones. Nice to have the options if you ever want them.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they do have 7 tone and 8 tones respectively. I normally hunt in multiple tone unless I get in an area with a lot of nails or iron, then I use 2 tone. The place I tried the single tone was in an area of a ghost town that had so much tin, iron, as every kind of junk imaginable and even 2 tone was almost unbearable. I switched to 1 tone and bumped the disc up to just under where a nickel would read. I was able to pick a few pieces of fired lead, a button and a brass whatzit out of the pleathra of junk and all I had at the time was a small concentric on my MXT. I'm going to try it again with the 4x6 DD Shooter coil in 2 tone and 1 tone to see what happens.

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Tesoro has the best prices, best warranty and probably the lowest overhead costs...so why would they struggle? The only thing that matters to me is basic performance. Having 15 optional "programs" means nothing if you only use one of them all the time anyway. And what could these programs do except preset notch/disc settings, sensitivity settings etc. And why would you need to adjust recovery speed? Someone tell me why you would ever want to "slow" your machine down?

A slower recovery speed provides a better response on very deep targets, also more definitive discrimination sounds. For those reasons a faster recovery speed should not be used unless needed because targets are close together.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
i personally like to keep it simple. set up the machine and hunt. dig the good tones. sometimes turn the disc knob to guess what it is. but, to keep swinging over a target multiple times, looking at the number. going through a push button menu to try and determine if you are going to dig it. is not for me. i will have it dug up, know for sure what it is and be moving on. to have an id number at 41-44 and saying pull tab, and passing over a gold ring is usually what a screen does. sometimes to much info can be bad thing.
You are right to me .. On my detectors i set them up the way i like them and the only switch i touch after that is the off & on button..

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i personally like to keep it simple. set up the machine and hunt. dig the good tones. sometimes turn the disc knob to guess what it is. but, to keep swinging over a target multiple times, looking at the number. going through a push button menu to try and determine if you are going to dig it. is not for me. i will have it dug up, know for sure what it is and be moving on. to have an id number at 41-44 and saying pull tab, and passing over a gold ring is usually what a screen does. sometimes to much info can be bad thing.

Going thru push button menus to determine what the target is? What detector is this you speak of? Reminds me of swinging over & over target while turning the disc knob on my Vaquero! What a PITA. If I find solid TONE targets ID#s that fall anywhere in foil nickel & pulltab, I DIG! Doesnt matter if it reads a 41-44 or whatever. If you don't use disc on the machine, you lessen the chance of iron masking & you can use your own ears and eyes to decide what to dig. I just turn on my machine set GB & go! Easy, no menus to scroll thru, or knobs to turn while swinging, or preset patterns. Some like to trust the disc & spin knobs, it just never appealed to me...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
For me all i know i would swing the Sovereign if it got a hit that sounded good to me i would dig no meter no disc knob ... Watching those numbers and to keep turning that disc knob is not for me ... Like i said on all my Sovereigns when i first got them i would take them out and set all the knob's were i liked them and the only knob i would touch after that and that would be for years at times would be only the off & on knob...

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no right or wrong to this debate....and i really cant pick a side as i have both types of machines and love them both for different reasons. It has been said before...: They are all tools in the toolbox, and you cant have too many tools!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no right or wrong to this debate....and i really cant pick a side as i have both types of machines and love them both for different reasons. It has been said before...: They are all tools in the toolbox, and you cant have too many tools!

Amen Digger! One machine can't do it all. I love my X-Terra for many reasons, but I know there are lighter & faster machines & some are better for specific hunting than others.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen Digger! One machine can't do it all. I love my X-Terra for many reasons, but I know there are lighter & faster machines & some are better for specific hunting than others.

EXACTLY!!

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally love Tesoro machines.
But without confirmation of a "new" Tesoro, I'll soon own a Deus. ;)
Peace ✌

JASONSPAZ1

Oct 21, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
I have had them all but currently use a Makro Multi Kruzer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me all i know i would swing the Sovereign if it got a hit that sounded good to me i would dig no meter no disc knob ... Watching those numbers and to keep turning that disc knob is not for me ... Like i said on all my Sovereigns when i first got them i would take them out and set all the knob's were i liked them and the only knob i would touch after that and that would be for years at times would be only the off & on knob...

I'm with you on the the Sovereign. Deep simple powerful no frills machine. Been using the platform since the early 90's. To bad Minelab kicked it to the curb.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with you on the the Sovereign. Deep simple powerful no frills machine. Been using the platform since the early 90's. To bad Minelab kicked it to the curb.

That is my only concern on Minelab. Their performance is not an issue. It seems at some point they just drop all support for a detector and then it's too bad, so sad. I have kinda looked at Xterras about a year or two ago. Interesting detector, but at what point are they gonna kick this one to the curb? It's been out for a really long time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread