Will there be a new Tesoro for 2015?

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well, on the other forum. the tesoro guy replied to a thread about it that sounded like a drunkin rant more than anything. compared tesoro with sony. really sounded like he was on meltdown. not at all professional. yet again, not one word about the detector or a ballpark release date or even year. a lot of people seem to be giving up on it and loosing faith in the company. but, that is what usually happens when the founder retires or passes on and the children take it over. does not stay around much longer. i hope this is not the case. but, seen it happen to many times. someone coined it as being "vaporware" and that certainly seems to be what it is so far. it is getting to the point of being laughable now.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you on the the Sovereign. Deep simple powerful no frills machine. Been using the platform since the early 90's. To bad Minelab kicked it to the curb.

They will do repair work on Sov for another 7-10 years at least. Minelab Repair center at Kellyco is still doing repair work on the Excal Sword detectors and they have been out of production for 17 years..

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone here owned a Sony product? Walkman, Discman, cheap $20.00 headphones. How about a VHS player, DVD player, Blueray player? Have you answered yes yet? How about the secondary PCB's inside the computer you're currently using to badmouth technology companies. Have you ever sat on a discussion panel to change the way Sony does business? Are you starting to change your answers to "NO's"? Mark the calendar folks, no other company, I mean none, will give you, the customer, a personal response. Want to know why? Maybe you already do, deep down in your heart. They don't care what you think. They don't want to care. Who on this forum has worked for a global corporation? Demographic charts, test panel groups, extended marketing strategies. These are what matters to a bottom line, not your opinion. So you believe we made a mistake asking you what you want? REALLY? Everyone here came up their own timeline for development because we didn't give you one. Your expectations don't make a product out of thin air. If this were the case we'd all be driving flying cars and living like the Jettsons. This is not reality. And as far as the comment about White's development, I implore you to do your homework. White's developed detectors based solely on an engineer's opinion, not a customer's. If you find this post defensive, or offensive, just know I love what I do. I believe in this company and everything it stands for. Has anyone here stood up for something they believe in or just complained about what others are NOT doing? Does anyone petition the other detector manufactures to release a product on their own personal timeline? Take a stand, and know I won't back down either. We should encourage lively debates on the pros and cons of this industry and hobby. Not just demand Sony has to hurry up with that JetCar 2000 I've been waiting for.---------------------------- i copied and pasted this. it was Nathan from Tesoro last post from another forum. this was the reply to people asking and talking about the new detector. pretty darn sad.

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I have "seen", older Tesoros are going up in price.
Haven't heard anything new from the Tesoro Camp. Think they are still sitting around the campfire roasting marshmellows........having a beer or two.............maybe one day get up and give us the Caz.
Well, I have a couple new gals now........not getting any younger........................and one orphan Tesoro.......an older one.

At least they released a new DD coil to calm everyone down...................raising everyones' hope the Caz will walk upon the stage...............

DirtToad

Greenie
May 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was waiting on the new one, but decided to hunt for some older ones when I read the posts. That's why I'm debating on buying the Golden I found at a pawn store, but I thought the Cazador was suppose to replace it to some degree...

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes Sven. but a new fancy looking coil is far from a newly designed detector. kinda like microsoft announcing that they are coming out with a whole new designed computer. everyone's excited over it. but, years later, without saying one word about the new computer, releasing a new monitor. it's like, where is the rest of it. why buy just the coil if thats the one that will be on the new detector and you will be getting it anyway? they just do not seem to be staying in touch with their customers about anything with it. yet, take pride in themselves with saying that they value their customers and give us "a personal response" it has gotten to the point of "whatever" haha

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fully agree with jld66!
If Tesoro wants to survive in their highly competitive market, they better transform the market with a new machine.
True, they've had major personal losses. I fully sympathize.
But, Minelab, Garrett, Nokta, Deus, etc., are pounding out new effective machines with zero response from Tesoro?
It's time!
Peace ✌

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fully agree with jld66!
If Tesoro wants to survive in their highly competitive market, they better transform the market with a new machine.
True, they've had major personal losses. I fully sympathize.
But, Minelab, Garrett, Nokta, Deus, etc., are pounding out new effective machines with zero response from Tesoro?
It's time!
Peace ✌

The single tone, beep & dig market is not competitive at all & that seems to be where Tesoro wants to stay. The customers seem to be happy with single tones, knobs and toggle switches, so the loyalty is there. In all this time waiting for the mysterious Cazador, FTP puts out at least 5 new models, Whites & Minelab have new machines, Garrett has a couple as well. Tesoro may very well have to hire some new engineers if they do actually intend to compete with the other brands

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There will always be a market for "no frills" detectors till folks want a brand specific serious machine.
Tesoro seems to be nearly scared to relinquish info on any new product.
Whenever released, at what ever name, it's gotta be at least competitive. By competitive in mean fully digital. Analog is done.
Peace ✌

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
are not all vlf detectors analog? the analog signal is converted into the digital for the screen? that is what i read, maybe has changed by now.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of people keep saying Tesoro has to do this and that to stay alive and analog is dead. Apparently they are doing fine with their niche machines and I for one hope they don't try to compete with FT by pumping out screened, bubble button machines every other quarter. I enjoy using my Silver uMax everytime I pick it up.
For instance, I found a guys wedding band yesterday. I started to use the MX-5 I own, but I figured the Cleansweep coil on the Silver uMax would be best since it was freshly lost. I dug 4-5 pull tabs, a nickel, quarter, 2 Lincolns, and 3 zincolns before I found it. In every case I knew about as good if not better than I would have with a screen/ tone telling me what each target was before I dug them. It's more fun using the "analog" machines once your in tune with them.

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
They have a nich market with a lifetime warranty. Tesoro detectors are easy to learn, operate and if you pass the coil over a target it detects it. They appeal to many first time buyers who often become fans of Tesoro. Some will purchase afditional detectors with bells and whistles but they still hold on to their Tesoro because they have their place. I have a Cz21, a dfx and a golden umax. Unlike my orher machines the tesoro is light. Can swing it for hours, have fun and still find the good stuff. If your waiting for them to come out with something to compeate with high end machines, its not going to happen. Very competitive market and very expensive to enter. Its not their nich. I expect that they will come out with something eventualy. Just my opinion. In the mean time, give them a break.There working on it and who knows what else is going on.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I called Tesoro. (928)771-2646.
A very polite secretary I've talked with previously answered.
As always, I was told no one was available to field my questions on the "new" Cazador, or any other soon to be released Tesoro machine.
She also told me that the person I needed to speak with would call me back in 20mins. B.S. I thought. Wrong...
17mins later, a gentleman I won't name, did indeed call.
I inquired about the "new" Cazador, and/or any soon to be released Tesoro.
To the point, I asked if this mysterious machine will be fully digital and will it be available in 2015.
Answer: Most likely digital screen. No release date. All is "hush hush".
Sooooo... IMHO, save your money for 2016.
A new Tesoro ain't gonna happen in 2015, sorry to say.
Peace ✌

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's anything like the Cortes or Deleon I'll stick with the Tejon, and Silver uMax. Give us a non-screened 2 tone Vaquero or Tejon with an adjustable tone break that moves with disc knob. It would be an even better coin and relic machine than it already is without any bad attempt at a display that looks so 1980's. I really don't want a screen anyway.

Last edited:

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i don't think a screen would be that bad. like take the deleon, put manual GB in both modes and have it so it works well on a wet salt beach, waterproof to 10 feet without having to use headphones. so you can hunt in and around water and not worry if you drop it in and wont be bulky like the sharks. i do really like my vaquero. i just don't get it real close to water and sometimes that does suck. waterproof would be real nice. no need for a 200 feet deep.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i don't think a screen would be that bad. like take the deleon, put manual GB in both modes and have it so it works well on a wet salt beach, waterproof to 10 feet without having to use headphones. so you can hunt in and around water and not worry if you drop it in and wont be bulky like the sharks. i do really like my vaquero. i just don't get it real close to water and sometimes that does suck. waterproof would be real nice. no need for a 200 feet deep.

But then you have the tiny, outdated display leftover from the 80's that Fletch spoke of. They should stick to what they know best, beep & dig. Something that has accurate disc like the Compadre, 4 tones, adjustable GB in disc & AM. Unless they plan to do a major facelift, they won't be luring anyone away from the current high tech VID machines available. Even though VLF can only be taken so far, innovations are always being made to make detecting more fun, enjoyable & productive

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could see a few hunts that would not require a VDI on a detector. Im spoiled as I like to check depth and target ID. But I also can find old fire pits and moved dirt. But for most hunts, if you dont mind digging everything, one could do without a VDI. This will be a interesting detector they put out for sure, if its their first digital one?

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But then you have the tiny, outdated display leftover from the 80's that Fletch spoke of. They should stick to what they know best, beep & dig. Something that has accurate disc like the Compadre, 4 tones, adjustable GB in disc & AM. Unless they plan to do a major facelift, they won't be luring anyone away from the current high tech VID machines available. Even though VLF can only be taken so far, innovations are always being made to make detecting more fun, enjoyable & productive
o.k. an updated screen. but not a huge one. keep it lightweight and simple. not a bunch of info, just ID number and depth. maybe a switch to turn it off for those who do not want to use it all the time and help with battery life. either way, it should be waterproof i think.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread