FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fellow I know from a fishing forum asked me if I could do him a huge favor and I have agreed. It's only time right and good PR for our sport.

A couple years ago in a State Park in North Florida his wife was leaning over the side of the boat and her gold diamong ring fell into the water near a dock. They tried to find it several times without success. He contacted the park and they said that it would be find to detect it since we were looking for an item he lost. He says he knows the area were she lost it.

The water can be between 4' to 8' so of course if its the deeper it would be a problem for me since I don't scuba dive. Problem solved he has a fellow firefighter who does and has also agreed to come along for the 2 1/2 hour ride.

Wish us luck, boy would I love to find it for him since his 15 year anniversary is in a few days and he would be able to give it back to his wife.

Any tip or suggestions are more than welcome.....

Upvote 0

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Wish me luck $3,000.00 Diamond Ring

good luck, with the drought you might be able to detect on dry land? Has there been any dredging around the dock? I think your chances are excellent on finding the ring.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Hey Bill,
Good luck on the recovery I hope you're able to find it. The only advice I can offer is what I have read and heard from other folks who have been asked to help locate a lost item. The people are usually "off" on the location of where the item was lost. You may want to enlarge your search area to accommodate that fact.
Glenn

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL

I think you have an excellent chance at finding it. A few years ago, I dropped my prescription sunglasses overboard, in a marina, while washing my boat. 12'-15' of water, depending on tide.

More than a year later, a guy was doing some underwater work on the boat next to me...SCUBA equipped. I jokingly mentioned the glasses & less than 10 minutes later he hollered at me that he had them...NO detector.

He wouldn't take any $$$, so I put a case of Corona in his truck!

GOOD LUCK! :icon_sunny:

coinsearcher

Feb 27, 2008
Central, CA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro W/ SunRay probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well all I can say is it is worth a try. If you find the ring you will have a memory that will last forever, not to mention a friendship. Good luck and good hunting.

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.

Good luck with your search...
It would be good public relations if you find it
and if you do, be sure to tell the ranger too...

firedup

Jan 28, 2008
Detector(s) used
DFX ,Bullseye 2

KUDOS to you.

OP
OP
FloridaBill

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks everyone, the only thing that I heard was that they added some length to the dock but no dredging so here's hoping.

OP
OP
FloridaBill

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a three hour drive we made it to the site. Sorry to say we didn't find the ring. We discovered that they had put some new piling in at the dock and may have disturbed the ground where the ring was lost. Also after several years I knew it wasn't going to be easy.

The diver took my detector (never used one beffore) in and all we found was two bottle caps, a lead sinker and a bic lighter. It is very hard hunting conditions. Water pretty deep, a lot of mud, wood and weeds in the water. So if we get a real negative tide some day we may run up there one more time and that wouldn't be until next year.

The guy couldn't thank me enough, and although I was disappointed we still gave it our best try. Thanks for all the support folks....

Attachments

• Picture 103.jpg
    Picture 103.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 504
  • Picture 092.jpg
    Picture 092.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 487
  • Picture 097.jpg
    Picture 097.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 488
  • Picture 100.jpg
    Picture 100.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 485
  • Picture 098.jpg
    Picture 098.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 476
OP
OP
FloridaBill

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
davest said:
isn't' that fresh water?

No , I think if anything its brackish but I could be wrong. But there was some needle fish and they were catching small mangrove snappers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions