What's new

Without question, the best way to clean clads and others

SilverFinger

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2008
Messages
327
Reaction score
158
Golden Thread
0
Location
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a 6 pound rock tumbler and some course ground glass medium grit abrasive material from Harbor Freight Tools. Total cast $39.00. I am stunned and amazed by the results.

My filthy, nasty clads that have not seen the light of day are as bright and shiny as the day they were minted. My old wheaties are amazing. Some look like they were just minted. Bright, shiny and clean and not one scratch.

I mixed about 5 tablespoons of glass medium into the containers and used a cleaning product (new) by STP called Oomph!. I filled it up with Oomph! just above the coin line and added a little water. I spun 'em overnight (about 10-12 hours) and by next morning, I swear someone replaced 'em with new coins.

The dirt was foamy and muddy. Every trace of black, crusty dirt flushed from the tumbler and exposed the shiny clads.

I cleaned up some silver too (I ran it for about 4 hours) with the same amazing results.

If I wasn't so tired from workin' all day, I'd put up some pics but trust me, you will be very impressed with the outcome. Maybe I'll get the energy to put some pics up.
 
Is this a single barrel or a double barrel tumble. I been thinking about getting one but my funds are low so I still have to wait.....Matt
 
I use a tumbler also, you are right, it really does a great job!
 
What took you so long!

The rock tumbler is the way to go, and has been advocated for many years. I have some tips about the Harbor Freight tumblers on my website http://www.ohiometaldetecting.com/2/post/2009/06/harbor-freight-rock-tumbler-troubleshooting.html As many complain about the belts not lasting a long time. There are also gripes about the rubber barrels outgassing (they stink - and there was evidently a really stinky batch a while back). The smell does go away after time... just use it and keep it stored in an area with good ventilation. However, for the price, the Harbor Freight machine is a bargain, and with care, should give many years of service. (Or, if you are the complaining type, buy a $100+ machine from a lapidary shop... no smell and generally better belt life.) The Harbor Freight tumblers are often on sale, so it's good to watch the ads and you can save a few bucks.

I just use gravel and dish soap in mine (cheap and easy). I don't need the coins to be super "shiny" - just clean enough to take to the bank.

Here's another tip... if you like the look of sea glass or beach glass, try throwing in a few pieces of glass in with your tumbles and after some time they will look just like beach glass. Now when I am detecting I pick up interesting colored glass shards to put in the tumbler with the coins.
 
Hey, ya'll
You can go to the Frieght Harbor web site and get discount coupons for your purchase or they will email them to you when they have a sale. Just food for thought. Save some money!!
Bang
 
:icon_thumright: awsome tread thanks
 
That, and Coinstar! Kidding, as usual. Good info.
Carl
 
I went to harbor freight today and they did not have anything like the glass you mentioned. I also checked the web site. Do you have a part number?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom