hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I know different ferrous metals (containing iron) will give off different distinctive spark depending on what it's alloyed with. Metal workers do this when looking for a specific steel. Iron looks like a 4th of July sparkler.
When grinding a window on a meteorite the sparks would be a good indicator if it contains iron. At least it would eliminate rocks.
I'm guessing this would be for siderites as stoney iron might not show sparks even though they contain iron.

Have any done this test?

bammer

Apr 5, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hvacker,
The problem I have is sometimes a rock will throw off sparks not because of the rock but because of the grinding media. I can make sparks cutting granite using my diamond coated blade on a cut off saw. For possible meteorites I polish or grind a window then etch with nitric acid or ferric chloride tablets to see if there is a pattern.

OP
OP
hvacker

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
When testing metals, close attention needs to be paid to the type of sparks. Like said iron resembles sparklers. It's like a finger print and very distinctive.
I might try this theory out down the road in as much as a window needs to be ground off anyway.

OP
OP
hvacker

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
When testing metals, close attention needs to be paid to the type of sparks. Like said iron resembles sparklers. It's like a finger print and very distinctive.
I might try this theory out down the road in as much as a window needs to be ground off anyway.

Here's some pictures
THE SPARK TEST OF STEELS Need to scroll down a bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread