What's new

✅ SOLVED Wooden hammer

HAPPYCAMPER

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2012
Messages
530
Reaction score
426
Golden Thread
0
Location
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
MXT 300MM PISTOL PROBE FISKARS SPADE AND SHOVEL 12INCH,4X6 AND 8X6 SEF
XT600 TO GET THERE

BEST FIND TO DATE 1787 FUGIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry not a MDing find but havent figured out what this might have been for and this is best place to find an answer,totally wood,weighs about 3 1/2 lbs,surely old and can see mark from where it was hitting something...anyone have a clue...thinking possibly just a hammer someone made for there own purpose and design
 

Attachments

  • DSCF6244.webp
    DSCF6244.webp
    981.7 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF6245.webp
    DSCF6245.webp
    634.6 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCF6246.webp
    DSCF6246.webp
    321.2 KB · Views: 101
Looks more like a form/mould for something. Wooden hammer would likely show more use from impact, but maybe
 
Upvote 0
it's a chisel mallet .
 
Upvote 0
Kinda thought that,but didnt see the shape of this on any I looked at,but then again there was numerous shapes and designs...thank you!,and I have seen some chisel work being in New England and have worked on some old homes,precision work and a art for sure.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kinda thought that,but didnt see the shape of this on any I looked at,but then again there was numerous shapes and designs...thank you!
 
Upvote 0
It might be a crude ball starter for black powder rifles. Gary

ball starter.webp
 
Upvote 0
The handle doesn't appear to be the origina. It might be a crude kitchen masher and not a mallet.
 
Upvote 0
Greetings HappyCamper. What you have there is a very cool piece. It is not anything suggested above, but rather an old harness makers mallet. I, too, believe that the handle has been replace, but none the less it is a wonderful old makers mallet.
 
Upvote 0
Greetings HappyCamper. What you have there is a very cool piece. It is not anything suggested above, but rather an old harness makers mallet. I, too, believe that the handle has been replace, but none the less it is a wonderful old makers mallet.
It does resemble and leather work mallet. The ones I have used are rolled rawhide. They don’t pack as big of bang as this piece looks like it could. That is why I like the chisel mallet idea.
 
Upvote 0
It does resemble and leather work mallet. The ones I have used are rolled rawhide. They don’t pack as big of bang as this piece looks like it could. That is why I like the chisel mallet idea.

It is not a leather working mallet nor a chisel mallet. This type of mallet is unique to harness making. although there is some overlap with saddle making,
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 7.36.00 AM.webp
    Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 7.36.00 AM.webp
    395.1 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 0
It is not a leather working mallet nor a chisel mallet. This type of mallet is unique to harness making. although there is some overlap with saddle making,

Thank you very much for this info,never would have guessed thats what it was used for!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom