What's new

Working with the Archaeologists...

CRUSADER

Emerald Member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
41,306
Reaction score
48,541
Golden Thread
27
Location
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
27
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Land-Mag has set the team up on a new project with a local Archaeologist. We have yet to met him but he has heard good things about Cru'Dad & I from other Archies.:thumbsup: The project is to document/GPS the finds as usual but share all the relevant data/finds associated with a 12th C Abbey. The Abbey Site is protected but we will be doing the fields around the protected area.
Land-Mag has secured permission for this new land that has everything from Bronze Age Barrows, Roman Farmsteads, & a Medieval Village.
The Land-owner had 2 detectorist who gave up about 2.5 years ago, so its our turn.:metaldetector::laughing7:
Today it was just Land-Mag & I doing a quick scout of the fields to get a feel of what's about.
3.5 hours covered 3 different Fields;
Found a Roman Farmstead - I GPSed 2 Grey Clay Kiln Bars - if that's what they get IDed as, it's a pretty big deal.
The area that the Medieval Village is meant to be was pretty bear.:sadsmiley:

Tudor Clothes Fastener
4 Roman Coins
Hammered; Qrter of Henry III, Penny of Ed I.
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    102.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    58.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    53.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 4.webp
    4.webp
    66.1 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 40
Sounds like a good thing.
Good luck on the fields!
 
Cru,

Decent finds so far....good luck on your future outings.

Regards + HH

Bill
 
Cru,

Decent finds so far....good luck on your future outings.

Regards + HH

Bill

Its a start & we will be meeting with the owner shortly to pick up more clues.
 
Good luck with that job! Hard work and beeing honest pays off!
 
Good luck! If the Barrows are still undamaged and you get a chance at some pics, I'd love to see them. Congrats on the hammereds.
 
Very nice! Best of luck to you
 
What are grey kiln bars?
 
I think it's wonderful that you are working with an archeologist to find and record the discoveries on that site. I know in the past archeologists and detectorists sometimes didn't get along, to put it mildly, so I'm glad things are changing in that department.

I like your finds there so far, and I'm always impressed with those cut quarters.
 
Good luck! If the Barrows are still undamaged and you get a chance at some pics, I'd love to see them. Congrats on the hammereds.

There are two but they are both ploughed out. So the only evidence is crop-marks.
 
Good luck with that job! Hard work and beeing honest pays off!

Its a collaboration that will last years. Land-Mag has worked hard to network lots of contacts with common interests. It's a win-win for everyone involved. But still not something many detectorist do, they see GPSing and mapping as hard work. But also that means sharing everything they find with the Land-owner, which doesn't always happen either.
One reason I bleat about it on here, is to show detectorist a different road which works for everyone involved.
We are not expecting it, but who knows what will come off the back of this one?
Even if it's nothing, we have another good Project under our wings to talk about.
 
Some really interesting finds. Your impending project sounds exciting. Best of luck!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom