Workmanship

S

stefen

Recently I contracted to have my roof torn off down to the T & G wood, which is actually my ceiling, and to be re-roofed adding 3-1/2 inches of High Density Foam insulation boards, then several layers of fabric and lastly, gravel cover.

Termites, for whatever reason felt that my house was the local Baskin Robbins (31 flavors) and many of the ceiling planks needed to be removed and replaced, including almost the entire fascia.

I made sure that the roofing contractor who is the preeminent roofer for Eichler homes followed a rigid pattern of steps prior to removing the roof...

First, the whole interior of the house needed to be bagged with 6 mil plastic sheeting which was to be batted to the walls in order to catch all debris, dirt and dust that results from this type of replacement. If not, the results are unbelievable. First, I was assured by the Roofing Contractor that his subcontractor and crew was highly skilled and reputable, and no roof removal would occur until this phase was completed...should take a minimum of one (1) day...

They were to arrive by 7 AM Saturday and arrived at about 8:30...So were off to a running start.

By 10 AM nothing had been done...why, you ask? Well, they didn't have nails for the batt boards...so they send a runner to Helpless Depot...now we are started around 11:AM.

Withing 5 minutes a one-of-a-kind contemporary floor lamp is now horizontal and not fixable.

Understand, this is supposed to be a 'highly skilled and reputable' crew...2 unskilled undocumented laborers rolled up on bicycles and were hired on the spot and sent into the house...level of skill just dropped a notch or two.

A telephone call to the Roofing Contractor brought immediate response following a heated conversation in a language that was an admixture of german-english with a few NY taxi driver verbs thrown in.

Several hours later...they ran out of material and another trip was made to Helpless Depot...this time to return with a stapler and some 1 mil plastic...

Within an hour of starting the bagging process some laborers were sent to the roof to remove the existing gravel ONLY...well they don't take direction very well.

Another telephone call to the Roofing Contractor brought a response following another heated conversation, again in a language that was an admixture of german-english with a few NY taxi driver verbs thrown in.

This time the subcontractor himself showed up and I found that he was a poor excuse for a .... well, just pass on this description.

The agreed solution was verbally reinforced and an english-speaking foreman was to be put into place immediately...the process was for the sub to ask his crew who could speak english...one guy nodded his head....and he was promoted on the spot.

Eventually we got past this glitch in the road...and the roof was removed and they began to remove and replace the termite damaged boards and and fascia. When I came home Monday evening I looked at the work and was appalled by the quality of the workmanship.

The fascia was nailed every 4 inches and were driven in by a crosshatched hammer leaving deep hammer marks.

So another telephone call to the Roofing Contractor brought a response following another heated conversation, again in a language that was an admixture of german-english with a few NY taxi driver verbs thrown in. This time the topic was the quality of the workmanship...One reply was that is why they make Spackle to I (that's me) can repair the poor quality work.

Yesterday (Tuesday) the contractor came by my office to discuss the problems and to get authorization for some additional expenses which were valid. We agreed to meet later at the house to review the corrections and some additional work that needed to be done.

So I came home to meet with the contractor and was comfronted by a continuance of this same workmanship, but in other locations. I expressed my opinion of the quality very calmly and told both contractors what the assumed expectation were based on their limited marketing skills and that the quality of work requires a certain degree of skill level and pride in the product and service provided. As I recall, I said that just because you have given an undocumented laborer a hammer does not make him a skilled carpenter...well, in so many words and maybe in broken English ;D

I did state that these 2 individuals were to be removed from the job and that the contractors were to employ skilled carpenters to correct all work and to complete the project. This was agreed all round.

Now lets segue to this morning...at 7:15 I heard skill saws buzzing and hammers a-hammering...I casually walked out of the front door with a camera and cell phone in my hot little fists. Took several pictures of Hose A and Hose B just a working away.

Walked across the street and sat on the curb...made a call and explained that both the Roofing Contractor and his sub were not able to take directions very well and that Hose A and Hose B were pounding and sawing...The Roofing Contractor dumbly asked (without exaggeration) 'Well what are they doing?'

Answer, 'Hammering and sawing!' ::)

Oh, and what I didn't state is that almost all of the stapled 1 mil plastic has broken loose and 3 room are trashed with debris including my office (over my computer).

Now the question is do I order a pizza or pick up a hamburger and fries for dinner?

Attachments

• Woodside001m.jpg
    Woodside001m.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 217
  • Woodside001m.jpg
    Woodside001m.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 222
  • Woodside004L.jpg
    Woodside004L.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 205

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
beautiful home! Sorry to hear of all the misery.....I say burger and fries...that sounds real good right now! Guess I best go find me some dinner....never would have thought this post would end up making me hungry but it did! :wink: Hang in there and enjoy our dinner!

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stanjam said:
Photograph and document everything. And get a decent lawyer.
Stefen i know you got it handled i went through some hard times doing my roof. It seems the guys that did the tear off were drunk and kept falling off my roof ::) The roof turned out ok but dry rot was my problem. As far as termites go the San Joaquin Valley is infested with the little devils. Good luck nice home...aa

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stefen,
I am a general contractor in Ca. and your post really struck a nerve. You deserve every right to have your project completed in a "Professional and Workmanlike manner". Unfortunately, people like this give us all a bad reputation (Just like an MD'er not filling their holes!)

1st. Do not pay for any work untill you are 100% satisfied with the final product.
Make them replace all the damaged facia and tell him to putty it and put it on his own house! Many contractors hire "Day Laborers" for demo work, but I would never let them do carpentry.
I require all my clients to remove all personal items from the immediate work areas. My contracts also states that any items I have to move will result in no liability to me for damage.

2nd. If you cannot resolve the problems with your contractor, contact your local BBB and the Dept. of Consumers affairs-Contractors License Board and file a complaint.
Typically, that is enough warning to the crook you hired to complete your project to your satisfaction.

This happens every day all over the country. Fortunately, here in Calif. our Contractors Board is very proactive in enforcement of the laws and jailing many crooks and unlicensed buisness people.

I hope you can get your project completed without many headaches.
Good Luck
Steve

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
"WE NEED THESE PEOPLE TO DO THE WORK THAT AMERICANS REFUSE TO DO"

How many times have you heard _______________ (insert politicians name) say this ???

The only thing left out is that most Americans won;t do the work AS CHEAPLY as these guys.

I wonder how many homes being built today even come close to actually meeting code ?

Was a time when a skilled carpenter could make a decent enough living to support a family, albeit modestly.

Keep 'em coming and give 'em workers visas.......... we need the cheap labor

Diggem'

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• fail cat.jpg
    fail cat.jpg