Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: NEW PICTURES OF A LIFELONG GOAL!
see below.

I wandered around the mansion again today. The hits are very few and very far between now. :dontknow:

But, there is an air of possibility around the place that I just love trying. :)

Overall:

IMGA3450.JPG
IMGA3452.JPG

When I dug this I only saw a tiny portion of this side. Seeing the silver and the lines in the surface and the fact that it hit with a solid 90 VDI, I figured, THIMBLE!!!

IMGA3451.JPG

BOY! I was I ever wrong! LOL

IMGA3453.JPG
IMGA3454.JPG
IMGA3455.JPG
IMGA3456.JPG
IMGA3457.JPG

Then, having had enough of not finding the more "interesting" finds. I declared that the gloves were
coming off! So to speak. :)

What I meant was that I was ready to get down to some very serious hunting for those elusive, deep, deep down hits that sound like coins. I set the machine to all metal pro mode and turned sensitivity all the way up! It was full speed ahead!!

I put the coil on the ground and swung 2 or 3 times. Listening for those little signals masked inbetween the iron ones. Figuring to hear the faintest whisper of anything good being hidden by the iron. It got plenty noisy! But, I was ready to find them! The game was on!!

Of course, on the 4th swing, I got this BLARINGLY obvious penny hit! Right on the surface! I said, "OK, so I'll start my fine tuned hunt after I get this stupid zincoln out of my way."

Here's what I saw after I turned over the 1 inch plug:

COPPER1.jpg
COPPER2.jpg

I just LOVE my AT-Pro!!! It plays some of the funniest pranks on me!

Longer story shortened; I got it home and started trying to clean/identify this mystery disk my machine was so kind to give me right on the surface. It is an interesting size and make up. Copper of some sort for sure. But, it appears to be rather old! :)

I'm going to take my time trying to get details but here's what I've got so far.

Anyone good at recognizing profiles/busts on coins?

IMGA3458.JPG IMGA3459.JPG

Only have what I figure is the obverse so far. The back has some heavy crusted dirt on it and I'm working it very slowly.

I'll update as I get more detail.

Thanks for peeking!

HH!

UPDATE!

If I read this right I have FINALLY broken into the 1700's!!! :)

IMGA3461.JPG

I don't think I'll clean on it much more. Don't think I'll gain much more than the knowledge that I may have finally reached a lifelong goal. :) I think I can make out 1794 & BRITAN??? Plus a seated figure.

What say the experts? I've never been here before. ;)

IMGA3460.JPG
IMGA3462.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 3

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welldone getting into the 1700's...:thumbsup:

SS

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it's kind of cool to think that whoever dropped that coin had probably never even heard or George Washington or the "United States of America"

I hadn't thought about it when I replied before, but they wouldn't have known George Washington because HE HAD EVEN BEEN BORN YET!!! LOL!!!

WOW! Now THAT fact really puts it in perspective for me!

AND, he was only a newborn babe when yours was made!!! LOL

Thanks!
HH!

Last edited:

Gold007

May 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Garrett pin pointer. I want a Garrett GTI 2500 or an AT Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds!

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woooooooo Hooooooo on the 1724 George I and for breaking through to the 1700's! Unreal that it was so close to the surface and literally had been lying around for almost 300 years. Boy if it could talk, the stories it could tell. Congratulations and WAY TO GO! :thumbsup:

:)
Breezie

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woooooooo Hooooooo on the 1724 George I and for breaking through to the 1700's! Unreal that it was so close to the surface and literally had been lying around for almost 300 years. Boy if it could talk, the stories it could tell. Congratulations and WAY TO GO! :thumbsup:

:)
Breezie

Yeah, pretty fascinating to find something old that shallow. But, not too hard to figure actually. Easy as getting plowed up. This place has been pretty interesting though. There's one spot where I found several indian head cents that were literally on the surface and it hadn't been dug up! It was cleaned of brush as it was near some VERY old trees but there they were, laying right on top! :)

Thanks for the kind words! I am really happy about this particular find!

HH!

VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go!!:occasion14: I told you I couldn't wait for the update!! WELCOME TO THE 1700'S:wav: Life time find ,CONGRATS on a very elusive coin:hello2:= ED

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the old copper it's in fine shape for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread