What's new

Worst Etiquette Ever

Rakattack

Full Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2010
Messages
150
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
SJ, CA
My favorite pickup bank has been telling me for a while about two older guys that come in and order half dollar boxes from them and give the ones the don't want BACK TO THE BANK :o I didn't believe them...until now. Today I was there to pick up some boxes of dimes and I saw a guy (pretty old) down at the end of the line of tellers. He got a box of quarters and walked over to a chair and table. He sat down, opened the box, looked through the contents (no silver, obviously :laughing7:), and RETURNED IT TO THE SAME TELLER. I am extremely furious at this man because he may be the reason that in the future I get kicked out of my pickup bank >:( I am in San Jose, CA and if this describes ANY of you, please stop :(
 
Upvote 0
well, I am in michigan, so it's not me, I assure you. That is a pretty lame thing to do, I would never do that. That just creates double the work for one bank, I'm sure this is why banks start coming up with dump fees just to get rid of people like that. It's not hard just to take the boxes home, search them, then dump at a different bank.
 
I would think that the bank would put a stop to it. They gain nothing and have the expense of re-rolling a bag of quarters. Time, paper, electricity.
 
Just a side note, my wife picked up her 6 Boxes 2sday and her teller asked if he could buy 2 boxes of clad back from her when she is done with them; what a sweet deal ain't it- he says he has customers who use (request) them.
 
Rakattack said:
My favorite pickup bank has been telling me for a while about two older guys that come in and order half dollar boxes from them and give the ones the don't want BACK TO THE BANK :o I didn't believe them...until now. Today I was there to pick up some boxes of dimes and I saw a guy (pretty old) down at the end of the line of tellers. He got a box of quarters and walked over to a chair and table. He sat down, opened the box, looked through the contents (no silver, obviously :laughing7:), and RETURNED IT TO THE SAME TELLER. I am extremely furious at this man because he may be the reason that in the future I get kicked out of my pickup bank >:( I am in San Jose, CA and if this describes ANY of you, please stop :(

Rak,
When you say pretty old are we talking about some 85 year old senior citizen, or a 50-60 year old?
If he is 85 year old type I'd say leave him be.
HH
Rich
 
Rich Hartford said:
Rakattack said:
My favorite pickup bank has been telling me for a while about two older guys that come in and order half dollar boxes from them and give the ones the don't want BACK TO THE BANK :o I didn't believe them...until now. Today I was there to pick up some boxes of dimes and I saw a guy (pretty old) down at the end of the line of tellers. He got a box of quarters and walked over to a chair and table. He sat down, opened the box, looked through the contents (no silver, obviously :laughing7:), and RETURNED IT TO THE SAME TELLER. I am extremely furious at this man because he may be the reason that in the future I get kicked out of my pickup bank >:( I am in San Jose, CA and if this describes ANY of you, please stop :(

Rak,
When you say pretty old are we talking about some 85 year old senior citizen, or a 50-60 year old?
If he is 85 year old type I'd say leave him be.
HH
Rich
He is 50-60 years old. Definitely not a senior citizen.

Just as a side note guys, my banks ONLY supply plastic wrapped coins. So this bank doesn't need to rewrap the coins.
 
His name is Jed Clampet. Mr. Drysdale lets him do as he pleases.
MYOB
 
Actually, based on the facts I see. I don't necessarily agree that this is the worst etiquette ever.

Facts:
* Customer buys a box of quarters
* Customer goes to a table in the bank and looks through the box
* Customer returns the box back to the teller
* Coins are rolled in the see through coin condoms.

My questions:
* Did the customer unroll the coins?
* Did the bank need to run the coins through a counter to take them back?

If the answer to both of the above questions is no, I really don't see the issue. The bank must trust that the customer is not shorting them any coins when returning them and is able to use them directly without any additional fees except for the 1 minute or so needed by the teller to count the rolls that were brought back. Once returned the rolls can be used again.

So if my assessment of the situation is correct, the CRH'er in question potentially may have the BEST etiquette ever.... Better than those of us who unroll the coins and have them counted.


Now if all coins are unrolled and dumped through a counter... I would agree with you. There is a gentleman at one of my dump banks that does do the open, search, dump within one bank stop (daily from what I hear).
 
GMan00001 said:
Actually, based on the facts I see. I don't necessarily agree that this is the worst etiquette ever.

Facts:
* Customer buys a box of quarters
* Customer goes to a table in the bank and looks through the box
* Customer returns the box back to the teller
* Coins are rolled in the see through coin condoms.

My questions:
* Did the customer unroll the coins?
* Did the bank need to run the coins through a counter to take them back?

If the answer to both of the above questions is no, I really don't see the issue. The bank must trust that the customer is not shorting them any coins when returning them and is able to use them directly without any additional fees except for the 1 minute or so needed by the teller to count the rolls that were brought back. Once returned the rolls can be used again.

So if my assessment of the situation is correct, the CRH'er in question potentially may have the BEST etiquette ever.... Better than those of us who unroll the coins and have them counted.


Now if all coins are unrolled and dumped through a counter... I would agree with you. There is a gentleman at one of my dump banks that does do the open, search, dump within one bank stop (daily from what I hear).
I asked the teller that was helping me and she said that he usually orders boxes of halves and does the same thing. He doesn't do the halves IN the bank, but he opens them at home and turns them back in at the same bank again.

Maybe I'm wrong :dontknow:, maybe it's GOOD etiquette to search the clear "condom" wrapped boxes and return them to the same bank. Someone clarify for me. I've only been searching for 4 months now so I'm no expert by any standard
 
To me what constitutes bad etiquette is when:

You pick up the coins from Bank A and then return them to Bank A in a form that they are unable to directly use for their normal business and this causes the Bank A extra handling fees, significant teller time, or some other significant cost.


Your half dollar example I would consider bad etiquette because the bank is unlikely to be able to directly use them for their normal business and thus likely causes them extra processing fees to ship back.

Whereas, your quarter example (assuming the fully rolled coin condoms are returned) I don't consider bad etiquette as the bank can turn around and use the quarter rolls directly for their normal business with minimal extra time or cost. Depending on the contract the bank has with the armored service, this method may actually cost the bank less in fees than cashing the coins in to a different bank, thus making it good etiquette...


Basically, what separates bad from good is how much of a nuisance the carrying out of one's hobby (CRH) is to the bank (and technically the CRH'er). Ideal is finding the minimal nuisance point for the bank and you combined.


For most situations, the best etiquette is to buy from one bank and return to another as to not unduly burden any one bank with unnecessary costs related to your hobby and thus make it more likely that you will be allowed to continue the pursuit of your hobby with them.


Personally, I have done a variation of looking through the coin condoms while still at the bank. In my case, I actually look through unpurchased rolls while still at the teller's window and only buy the rolls I see something in, and therefore no paperwork. I would caution you to only do this when the bank is not busy, however, or you will wear out your welcome. Also be aware describing what you are asking to the tellers sometimes confuses them, so don't just assume it will always happen like you want and may not be worth the effort. If allowed to do it though, it only takes about 1-2 minutes to search 50 rolls (if that) and there is almost no dumping required later.
 
why dont u try to kindly tell him thats not a good idea...wait a minute, never mind, cuz the world we live in now u would get shanked for even saying that...good luck tho.
 
Gman has it pretty well covered :thumbsup: as usual. i always thought it was bad etiquette until i ran into a couple small town banks where i live now. they only have so much coin on hand and have no problem giving me coins to search, but they make me PROMISE that i will return all coins i don't keep. so its up to the bank what they consider is bad etiquette. its up to us to find out what that is.
 
i think that is dream etiquette. i was told to promise to not bring coins back rolled and dump at coin counter
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom