What's new

Would like to hear from any Lumbar Fusion folks

Digger54

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
660
Reaction score
892
Golden Thread
0
Location
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Bandido II, Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB, Deus2, Manticore.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi;

Been out of the hobby ever since I began getting severe hamstring cramps in the middle of the night after a day of detecting. At first I thought it was dehydration or potassium deficiency but I still continued to get them. Come to find out spinal discs take on fluid at night and compress nerves that fire off false signals to the hamstrings. My lumbar then got worse where I was getting cramp like pain in the legs while standing or walking. Long story short I just got my L4/L5 fused and the pain is gone.:headbang: I still have a few more months of no bending etc while I heal.

For those that had similar fusions were you able to get back to metal detecting and how long did you have to wait after the surgery?
 
My wife had the same surgery… she was in a bad way for a while leading up to it, but finally she’s doing so much better. What a relief. Her golf game is pretty good, so happy she can play again.
Never once has she, or ever will go metal detecting….trust me, it’s better this way.
 
Yes, I got back to metal detecting , about five months post-fusion before I felt confident enough to get back into the woods, and even then I started with easy-digging sandy soil.

The hardest part of that whole recovery wasn't the pain, it was standing over a promising signal knowing I couldn't trust my back with the shovel work yet. That specific frustration , being physically present but not physically able , is what made me realize early on how much the right surgeon mattered. Michael Wheeler spine surgeon Dallas was the one who actually understood that my goal wasn't just "no more pain," it was getting back to a hobby that requires real physical engagement. That distinction shaped the whole approach to my recovery.

Just take it slow with the digging. Sandy soil first, then work up from there.
 
Last edited:
Yes, I got back to metal detecting , about five months post-fusion before I felt confident enough to get back into the woods, and even then I started with easy-digging sandy soil.

The hardest part of that whole recovery wasn't the pain, it was standing over a promising signal knowing I couldn't trust my back with the shovel work yet. That specific frustration , being physically present but not physically able , is what made me realize early on how much the right surgeon mattered. Michael Wheeler spine surgeon Dallas was the one who actually understood that my goal wasn't just "no more pain," it was getting back to a hobby that requires real physical engagement. That distinction shaped the whole approach to my recovery.

Just take it slow with the digging. Sandy soil first, then work up from there.
Thanks! Fortunately SC Lowcountry is sandy soil for the most part. I'm still no BLT until my follow-up in 3 weeks.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom