Would this work?

Orygun

Feb 21, 2005
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Technetics T2 Classic
could I just start melting down my silver coins? I know that they are worth more as coins but I was wondering if I could start melting them into a mold and make some silver bars or something. I was thinking about doing this with some silver dimes that I have been collecting over the years. Most aren't worth much and I thhink having a silver bar or two would be cool.

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
I've heard of making them into rings, why not melting them down. Besides, it would make my silver coins more valuable! It is however illegal to destroy U.S currency so don't tell anyone you did! HH omnicognic 8)

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The problem with melting them is that in order to sell the silver as scrap, you would have to get the bars assayed. That might cost more than the bar of silver is worth.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rather than melt the coins down. Trade them to a dealer for a silver 1oz, 10oz, or 100oz bar. I would trust Englehard or Johnson Matthey as reptutable assayers. You may have to pay a little over the spot price per ounce for the bars, but at least you will be getting .999 fine silver rather than .900 (coin silver).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread