ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A treasure wreck, bring that to the table, and your get people to share. I do not sell research, I give it away, to those who I can work with, the treasure is in the experience for me.
There are lots of publishers and media people who troll T ne for information they all disappear use the info to make money and stroke their own egos while making money of other people backs.
They say those who cannot teach, to me it is more like those who cannot write books, most of the so-called great treasure hunters made more money from books and spinning investor B,S, than recovering treasure.
I hope you make it to the end of your book, if so I might to someday,
It also worth looking into AARC ,s riddles he knows more then most and there is more sense in them than it seems,Best of luck,

Magoo... thanks for the vote of confidence... "knows more than most"... heh

Truth be known...
i know a "little about alot" and everything i know is MOSTLY from past stories or experiences with other minds... and of course.... reading down the trails... many trails of which have been spawned herein via Tnet. :) and the rest just curious about past... how it came to be... and what happened to it.

As far as a "riddle"... bah thats just my half arsed communication via typing. :P

I mean sheesh... a few keyword searching can do wonders to your time consumption... and ITS NOT ME writing a book on it... SO... most times i just place a bone or 2 to be chewn.

After all... I think a few keywords is a minor contribution to possibly an end result... = Another good read... AKA... the OPS book. :)

Other than that... its the OP writing the book... not me... so the research ball is now in the OP's court. heh

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
For the latter... you are gonna have to get off the beaten paths and get involved with research into the "The Company of Adventurers for the Plantation of the Islands of Eleutheria".

And "New Providence and Eleuthera"... etc etc.

The "wreckers" you are seeking in those periods were also "pirates". heh... "the republic of pirates" actually.

And dont forget that shipwrecks there were constant... wrecking was the most lucrative occupation available to the Bahamians...as well as others... and protected from "loose lips".

Oh and also...

do some on "Guanahani".

Thank you for the good advice, AARC.
Eleuthera sounds like a good bet. Pirating is definitely a good bet. Where did the pirates sell their goods? Where did they buy their supplies? I guess this is what you mean by getting off the beaten paths. I totally agree with you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanahani

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the good advice, AARC.
Eleuthera sounds like a good bet. Pirating is definitely a good bet. Where did the pirates sell their goods? Where did they buy their supplies? I guess this is what you mean by getting off the beaten paths. I totally agree with you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanahani

Wrecking in those periods... especially there... should NOT have been called "wrecking"....
IT SHOULD HAVE been called... "Scavenging".

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
A treasure wreck, bring that to the table, and your get people to share. I do not sell research, I give it away, to those who I can work with, the treasure is in the experience for me.
There are lots of publishers and media people who troll T ne for information they all disappear use the info to make money and stroke their own egos while making money of other people backs.
They say those who cannot teach, to me it is more like those who cannot write books, most of the so-called great treasure hunters made more money from books and spinning investor B,S, than recovering treasure.
I hope you make it to the end of your book, if so I might to someday,
It also worth looking into AARC ,s riddles he knows more then most and there is more sense in them than it seems,Best of luck,

Thank you Magoopeter. Your comments are stimulating. As mentioned before, I never wrote a book. This is my first try and probably the last one too. I will give it a good try. I will give it everything I have to give. I am even prepared to put my ego into a mailbag and send it to you if you accept it as payment for your help. I will need all the help I can get to get this book done in a reasonable time, but I want to see it done and if it takes 20 years. I know I am going to live at least another 20 years, because I am immortal. I am immortal because I drank the water from the "Fountain of Youth". For good measure I even took a skinny dip right down to the bottom of the "Fountain of Youth".
Shoot, now I gave away one of my secrets. I am talking about the "Fountain of Youth" that Ponce de Leon found in Bimini. A curious place, where sweet fresh water wells from the bottom of the sea, miles from the shore. We also took some samples of the water and had it analyzed. One of the unusual features was the relatively high lithium content.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Magoopeter. Your comments are stimulating. As mentioned before, I never wrote a book. This is my first try and probably the last one too. I will give it a good try. I will give it everything I have to give. I am even prepared to put my ego into a mailbag and send it to you if you accept it as payment for your help. I will need all the help I can get to get this book done in a reasonable time, but I want to see it done and if it takes 20 years. I know I am going to live at least another 20 years, because I am immortal. I am immortal because I drank the water from the "Fountain of Youth". For good measure I even took a skinny dip right down to the bottom of the "Fountain of Youth".
Shoot, now I gave away one of my secrets. I am talking about the "Fountain of Youth" that Ponce de Leon found in Bimini. A curious place, where sweet fresh water wells from the bottom of the sea, miles from the shore. We also took some samples of the water and had it analyzed. One of the unusual features was the relatively high lithium content.

Um... actually...

"Nowhere in either this contract or a follow-up contract was the Fountain of Youth mentioned. By contrast, specific instructions were given for subjugating the Indians and divvying up any gold found. Although he may have claimed to know certain “secrets,” Ponce de León likewise never brought up the fountain in his known correspondence with Ferdinand."

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down the road me here... is... OR was...a history professor at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg... A one J. Michael Francis... who also once stated...

“What Ponce is really looking for is islands that will become part of what he hopes will be a profitable new governorship”
“From everything I can gather, he was not at all interested or believed that he would find some kind of miraculous spring or lake or body of water.”

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been wrecking all my life...if you grew up in the keys and bahamas like I did...then your a wrecker !! Bahamian wreckers settled the keys !! And were still wrecking today....keywest has vast wrecking court files from the earliest of times and is filled with great stories and all the information you seek. There are some great books on the subject out there.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20210524_222231.jpg im currently digging in an old wrecking settlement here in the keys....the everyday objects of there daily life are spread over a good sized area here and they finally put down roots and settled into farming also !!

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other

Very interesting. It talks about the problem but does not offer a solution.
I like the statement below:
Since 1999, the AMMC has recommended policies for responsible and modern management of historic shipwrecks in Bahamian waters based on conservation, public access, respect for national heritage, and public benefit through heritage tourism.

In Europe we have many historical sites that have been preserved and developed for tourism. Visits to historic sites generate many billions of revenue each year. Countless jobs, maybe millions. Would need to dig up the statistics to give more solid numbers.

WaveJunky757

Jan 31, 2018
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found that article very interesting on many different levels. Almost an “”X marks the spot”” for a lot of locations. It’s a shame how much corruption was going on. It was a lot easier to get away with things 40+ years ago. No wonder there’s a moratorium.

WaveJunky757

Jan 31, 2018
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Europe we have many historical sites that have been preserved and developed for tourism. Visits to historic sites generate many billions of revenue each year. Countless jobs, maybe millions. Would need to dig up the statistics to give more solid numbers.[/QUOTE]

Europe is a much more historically rich and central location. Easier access to a greater group of people. Tourism there is a on a much greater level. I’ve been to the Bahamas a half dozen times when I was younger and it was never to check out a museum or dive a wreck.(shame on me) I really don’t understand the “tourism angle” that many people try to deploy. Sure it would be some but certainly not their bread and butter.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you know the wrecking history well...it will lead you to treasure...helps to have grown up in the islands also. I pass by south riding Rock every trip over...have always wanted to stop and search for that wreck on the way back home.http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/655615-bahamian-pirate-gold.html did alright this last trip even though I didn't have much time to hunt....never even got my hair wet but did quite well on the beaches !! Wrecking truly is my cultural heritage !!

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I thought about the immenseness of the universe and how little we understood, It was then I released I was a part of this immense universe, some part of me would have always existed in some form for me to exist in this form, some part of me always will, I realised I was immortal.

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
In Europe we have many historical sites that have been preserved and developed for tourism. Visits to historic sites generate many billions of revenue each year. Countless jobs, maybe millions. Would need to dig up the statistics to give more solid numbers.

Europe is a much more historically rich and central location. Easier access to a greater group of people. Tourism there is a on a much greater level. I’ve been to the Bahamas a half dozen times when I was younger and it was never to check out a museum or dive a wreck.(shame on me) I really don’t understand the “tourism angle” that many people try to deploy. Sure it would be some but certainly not their bread and butter.[/QUOTE]

https://www.anchorexplorations.com/great-issac
Here is an article about the Great Isaak rock. When I intend to visit such a place I look up this kind of stories, try to find out as much as I can. It greatly enhances my enjoyment during my stay. Once there I try to visualize the stories in their surrounding. I feel in the midst of the story. Then I look for clues linking to the stories. Can I find something linked to the story? Can I find something to add to the story? Can I find the places where the ships wrecked? Is there something there that others overlooked? Maybe an old coin in some hole? Anything that I can touch that will take me back in time, maybe to the place where the wreckers hung on for dear life when they were stranded on this barren rock during the hurricane of October 6, 1873, when their schooner was wrecked against the cliffs.
Yes, I know, it is all in my head. But for me this is fun. I feel alive.

I guess this is the kind of thing that attracts people to historic places. It is the stories of romance, drama and joy. The fight for survival of the people who were there before, in life and death.

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
If you know the wrecking history well...it will lead you to treasure...helps to have grown up in the islands also. I pass by south riding Rock every trip over...have always wanted to stop and search for that wreck on the way back home.http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/655615-bahamian-pirate-gold.html did alright this last trip even though I didn't have much time to hunt....never even got my hair wet but did quite well on the beaches !! Wrecking truly is my cultural heritage !!

I know how you feel. You feel so alive. You feel the life with such intensity that you nearly burst on the seams. That feeling is addictive.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wrecking in those periods... especially there... should NOT have been called "wrecking"....
IT SHOULD HAVE been called... "Scavenging".

AARC is absolutely correct because wrecking cannot occur without there being navigation lights on shore for landsmen to move to lure a vessel more to the north or south etc therefore wrecking it.

There were very few if any lights to move here in the outer islands in days of old therefore discovering that a ship has come ashore is not so much wrecking as scavenging as Archie says or opportunism on steroids

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got sent a video from a friend....they were cruising by great Isaac and filmed a brand new wreck....seems there is a partially submerged yacht there right now....looked to be a 50-60 footer. Looked like it just went down....pretty new looking yacht....my comment was throw a line on it and claim salvage rights !! Only gonna take a blow or 2 to break it all up !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I am looking for is information about the commerce of the salvaged goods. I know that there was a regular trade between Nassau and the UK. There must be records of the goods arriving in London. Some of the salvaged goods may have gone that way. Probably the best quality. The rest must have been sold to the USA. At the main entry port there must be mention in the news papers.
Another thing that interests me a lot, is the salvage vessels. (In my younger years I built a few boats myself) What did they look like? Where were they built?
The next, maybe the most important part are the people. Names of the families. Not only the owners names (who stayed at home), but mostly the people on the boats. The captains, who must have been excellent sailors. The divers etc. The people who risked their lives, saving people and goods from the shipwrecks.

Pinder, albury,Russell, moxy, roll, bastion....to name just a few. Those family names are also wrecking names in the keys to a lesser extent. The keys had newenglenders and other Yankee families move down to take up wrecking also. Names like pent, baker, houseman, and others that I can't remember without opening a book at the moment. Wrecking courts in Florida and ports of entry would have been key west and st.augustine. the colonies in the Carolinas accepted goods from the bahamas also, and trade would have spread to the north also in these goods as they were broken up and sold and resold up and down the eastern seaboard. Many records exist and are very interesting reading. Start your information gathering in key west and Nassau....Charleston SC.. and st.augustine fl. Should have interesting sources of info in the public libraries and court records also !! That book i posted from the pineapple press is a must have for anyone interested in the early wrecking history. Keywest became one of the richest communities for a while from its wrecking industry, and boasted the highest per capita earnings for its residents than anywhere else in the US at one point. All those riches were earned by wrecking !! Many lives were saved, and many fortunes lost and gained in those days. One of the coolest stories is of the Isaac allerton....still being salvaged by family members and relatives of the original salvors in possession from the 1800s !! An incredible story with many artifacts housed in the shipwreck museum in keywest.....its a great place and is adjacent to the atocha museum. If your serious about writing a book you'll be here sooner or later....all the info you seek is here in keywest !! Many of the vessels are highlighted in the book I posted, and I can remember some vessel names like Texas, Florida, mary, and there are many others that are detailed that elude me at the moment....there tonnage and designs, there records and sailing details are discussed as well. A few builders are also mentioned along with the native woods that were used !! All interesting to someone on a quest for information like yours. Hope that helps some....the book you want to write may already exist in the book I posted !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions