Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at this boat: Could this be the kind of sloop that the wreckers used? I would say probably, but I am just guessing. If somebody knows better, please tell.
The shape of the hull suggests that internal ballast will be used. Again, my guess, "pebbles" from shipwrecks. These ballast stones can be dumped easily when the wrecker happens on a shipwreck with more valuable goods, like any kind of metal for example. Boats and ships carrying salt always dumped their ballast rocks at the places where they loaded the salt.
I think I read somewhere that at the harbors they had specially designated places for ballast to be dumped. At the same place ballast could also be picked up when needed.
In the Bahamas the natural rocks are limestone, that is often porous and never very dense. Dense round rocks, like basalt river or beach rocks were the preferred type of ballast.
So when do we know we have a shipwreck site or just some dumped ballast? When is a shipwreck a shipwreck?
Im sure that these builders were building hulls that had been built by there fathers fathers....that design is a open hull and was most definitely ballasted. so im pretty sure that this hull design would have been widely used by the turtlelers, spongers and fisherman....they more often than not used lead bar back in the 70s when I was a kid, but they would use just about all manor of stone mixed in with the (precious and hard to come by) lead. And of coarse as a kid we all herd about old man so and so who had mistaken spanish silver bars for lead bars and used them as ballast !! As for understanding what your seeing as ballast is very important....I have had islanders bring me to there big spanish galleon wreck only to have to tell them that the grey rock with quartz banding is really just new England ballast from the northeast, and that there wreck is no more than a trading schooner from the northeast, and not the glorious spanish galleon they thought it was. These sloops from andros would calculate just how much ballast they would need according to how they would be loaded and with what . Often times they would leave lightly ballasted in anticipation of a heavy return load.....when overloaded they would jettison even more ballast to make up for the extra load. Jettisoned ballast will often be laying in a flat fan like pattern.....as the boat swings back and forth on the anchor and the ballast is thrown over it forms a particular scatter pattern. A large pile in the shape of a boat, and with wood iron, glass, etc...is more than likely a wreck. Sometimes its a trail of stones leading to a pile or multiple piles where the boat was bouncing and breaking up. Strong surf can diperse the ballast and flatten it on the bottom also. This last trip I had an audience for listening to me about ballast. At one point I asked them about a particular beach and if they had seen all the ballast there in the sand and rocks....they answered as a body and all said there must be a wreck....I said I think this was an area for loading provisions and cargo.....of course they wanted to know how I knew this. I said you have a salt pan just over the hill, and the ballast on the beach is from many different places...they were amazed that I could tell them the different places that the ballast originated. Green serpentine ballast from Cuba, grey shale and granite ballast from the northeast and Europe, and the rounded beige river rock from south and Central America that indicates the spanish main. All was scattered about the beach indicating a traditional spot of loading and unloading goods !! So....many conditions will indicate a wreck or just a spill. Its taken many years to learn all the clues and all the right factors have to come together to identify these mounds and significance. For example there is a pile I found in elutherea....spanish ballast, all in one spot, Deepwater to the east, and the ballast wedged in the reef where it had to be under full sail or in a hurricane to get that far on the reef. Add to that the fact that the stones are fused together with coral means its probably an older date range. I will look next time for jettisoned cannons on the deep edge of the reef. The lack of cannons leads me to believe they were salvaged or jettisoned on initial grounding. Only years of seeing these ballast mounds can give one the experience to extrapolate further and make the wise decision to pursue or move on. So the beige round river rock is first on my list to explore, the green serpentine ballast is next, and then the grey newengland ballast is least desirable for treasure hunting....and none of this is law or a certainty just a basic guideline.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...thats just some of the clues.....it might take a whole page to get into the more specific clues and indicators....oh well perhaps others will add to this...my fingers are tired of typing !!

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
Well...thats just some of the clues.....it might take a whole page to get into the more specific clues and indicators....oh well perhaps others will add to this...my fingers are tired of typing !!

Fantastic. The best I ever heard of about ballast stones. Thank you Black Bart.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a picture for you guys...let me find it. Its a cannon recovered years ago by a bahamian friend while diving at Great Isaac's. I've made it a mission to get it up and out of his yard, and build a cradle to display it....it will need a soak in a tub with some ospho, but its in pretty stable shape after sitting on land for 30+years. Ill have some chipping and treating with ospho. My boss and i have promised to tackle the project for our islander friend and im excited to restore it. Once up on a carrige or platform it will be much easier to care for it, and keep it painted and treated for all to enjoy and see !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20210505_100938.jpg 20210505_100945.jpg
Believe this is an english mortar ? Not 100 % sure what this type of gun is actually called ? My memory could be wrong but i thought this was an english made mortar...ill have to crack a book to be certain !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either way I'm restoring and setting it up next year when I return !! It deserves to be seen !!

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
The iron piece is a gunnade- cannon that superficially look like a carronade but is really just a small calibre cannon. Probably 6 pounder; they usually are. Dates from about 1800 to about 1840. From what I can see this is one of the better castings. They are sometimes called insurance guns. Used on smaller merchant ships, estates and vulnerable coastal communities

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you sir for that clarification.....much appreciated and I will pass that info on to the current person who is in possession....seems like the guns out live the people that find them !! Love to see it passed on to the grand kids !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARC It will be great to get her up and out of the dirt and examine it better. When I mentioned my idea out loud to everyone I could see smiles all around....especially my boss who seemed eager to do it. Guess we'll bring some 4x lumber and all thread, and build a carriage of sorts !! Should be fun for a few old pirates to do. again...THE ISLAND PROVIDES...im proud to help stand this gun up for island defense LOL!! Maybe one day it'll be a land mark !!

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Not a carronade- it is the wrong shape and it has trunnions. When you say Falkirk, do you mean the Carron Company of Falkirk or the Falkirk Iron Company- two quite different gunfounding organizations. The shape of the breech reminds me strongly of the F-SOLID- probably a Liverpool company. I would put my money on Fawcett Preston.

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Earlier gunnades have marks cast onto the trunnion faces; later gunnades have the marks engraved on the top of the barrel. Give your trunnions a feel.

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well they said they found no money on that wreck....that was probably 40 years back....they were fishing there for years...spearfishing!!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A testament to the many wrecks on the edge of the bank...including many great galleons !! Question ?? How many rocks on the edge of the bank have had wrecks ?? Answer !! All of them !! How many have had galleons....alot of them !!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok... now that i am back and took a better look... and a few checks...

They did make Carronades with trunnions... which is why perhaps it did not send up flag / register.

So... ?

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
A testament to the many wrecks on the edge of the bank...including many great galleons !! Question ?? How many rocks on the edge of the bank have had wrecks ?? Answer !! All of them !! How many have had galleons....alot of them !!

Thousands of ships were driven towards the banks.
Some went to pieces on the rocks.
Some were lucky and were driven up on the bank between the rocks, like the 1765 galleon.
Some were driven against the rocks and sank in deep water.
They all left some traces. The problem is that traces of shipwrecks of 500 years, mingled together are a nightmare to sort out.

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Congreve not Congrieve. British smooth bore cannon, also sold to other nations, used by France and Holland.

Untitled 2.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
The Congreve gun was a larger calibre piece - 24 pounders- and they were British government issue. They had a relatively short period of manufacture- I think by Carron. However these gunnades are smaller calibre- usually 6 pounders, sometimes 9 and sometimes smaller. They were produced by iron companies, mainly in the UK, for the commercial market, in huge, huge numbers in the first half of the 19th century.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

20210509_075252.jpg
Got an ambergris buyer now on spanish wells. Im sure they sell direct to bahamasambergris.com....the bahamian buyers are middle men, and although they will pay cash on the spot....its possible to double your money with French or Asian buyers....they will fly in and pay you with whatever you like. Dollars, euros, bahamian dollars, and I know someone who requested bahamian gold coins....im pretty sure they took cash and bought gold before they sailed home to the keys !! Just got wind of a find on san salvador. 21 pounds got 120,000$ a group of us keep contact about who's finding what and where !! Its my turn next....wife says were going to the outer banks for summer vacation....I said have fun ill be in sansal and long island hunting the gris !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread