WW2 German Helmet and nice Badge

CristianH

Mar 9, 2015
Romania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO International
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, I hope that I will not disturb you and I want to present you my latest finds with a small story below. I was so excited to find a nice ww2 German helmet as you can see in the short movie about finds.

In that special day me and my brother decided to visit a WW2 zone not really far away from our city and it wasn't the first time, actually it was the third time in that zone.
The day started slowly with a few pieces of rusted iron but in a trench my metal detector started to sound like crazy with a high pitch and very deep signal. we started digging in that trench about 1 meter deep until we saw rusted iron. i was very excited because I thought it might be a helmet and it was :D.
It was a M40 German WW2 helmet, very rusted but not broken - and I tried the helmet on my head you can see the pictures on the video. Later in the same day I just found another German relic, it was a zinc badge also very nice and my brother has found an aluminium plate and 2 iron spikes.

dsc_3715.jpg

21313.jpg

dsc_3804.jpg

dsc_3738.jpg

dsc_3729.jpg

Upvote 21

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds! Congrats my European counterpart!

OP
OP
CristianH

CristianH

Mar 9, 2015
Romania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much to all of you for your nice words I am so happy that you liked my video :)

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep digging that trench,maybe theres a bunker or two in the trench where the soldiers went for shelter during an artillery barrage.

OP
OP
CristianH

CristianH

Mar 9, 2015
Romania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep digging that trench,maybe theres a bunker or two in the trench where the soldiers went for shelter during an artillery barrage.

I was doing that but no bunker :D just a few metal scraps.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressive! Amazing how well everything has held up. That's German quality for ya. :occasion14:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds, Congrats! The M40 is usually better quality than the M42. Rarely without hole though. Canteen top is cool too, look for markings on the handle near the rivets and owners name carved into the aluminum. Most have a name on them. The "Infanteriesturmabzeichen silver" is in beautiful condition! Very cool find! It was awarded to soldiers who had 3 assaults, with break into enemy lines, on 3 different days. They silver wash turns into gold in the soil...worth some serious dough....

OP
OP
CristianH

CristianH

Mar 9, 2015
Romania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds, Congrats! The M40 is usually better quality than the M42. Rarely without hole though. Canteen top is cool too, look for markings on the handle near the rivets and owners name carved into the aluminum. Most have a name on them. The "Infanteriesturmabzeichen silver" is in beautiful condition! Very cool find! It was awarded to soldiers who had 3 assaults, with break into enemy lines, on 3 different days. They silver wash turns into gold in the soil...worth some serious dough....

Wow thank you so much for info I didn't knew all of these, I'll try to clean the canteen top to check for any name or marks. What I cannot find about the badge are the letters R.S., I found something similar R.S.S. thank you again for all nice words and all good to know info.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thank you so much for info I didn't knew all of these, I'll try to clean the canteen top to check for any name or marks. What I cannot find about the badge are the letters R.S., I found something similar R.S.S. thank you again for all nice words and all good to know info.

Makers mark R.S. is Rudolf Souval, Wien/Vienna
Makers markings on the canteen between the rivets should be a three letter code and the year. Yours look to me like pre or early war.

Last edited:

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds! Great video as well. Thanks for sharing and HH!

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Incredible, the liner and interior cloth bands are in good enough condition to support the helmet, thats amazing.
I wore a helmet liner in the 80s, which I still have. I keep it in a glass case, and the bands are still well on their way to rotting through.
RIP, nobody comes home from the field without their helmet.

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Your English is very good, very impressive, most of us can't EVEN speak English

Last edited:
OP
OP
CristianH

CristianH

Mar 9, 2015
Romania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makers mark R.S. is Rudolf Souval, Wien/Vienna
Makers markings on the canteen between the rivets should be a three letter code and the year. Yours look to me like pre or early war.

Nothing between the rivets.
canteen.jpg

Your English is incredible, very impressive, most of us can't even speak English

I am moved, thank you very much for your appreciation. I'm still learning :read2:and I spent a summer in the US and that was good to improve my English.

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excellent finds. I'd love the chance to dig some relics like those. very nice that the infantry assault badge still has the clasp intact

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread