What's new

Bar Shot And A Beer

artyfacts

Bronze Member
Joined
May 1, 2010
Messages
1,183
Reaction score
1,355
Golden Thread
3
Location
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding cannon "bar shot" was a total surprise. When I first picked it up I thought, that's the craziest door knob. It took a few seconds for my memory to click in, might as well have been pure gold when it did, rays of light shooting out of it, swear I saw a halo too. Still riding the excitement. The bar shot is 10 inches long and has a diameter of 3 inches, it weighs 3 lbs., 13 ounces. I just started the cleaning process getting it ready for annealing to knock off the rest of the scabby scale. I had thoughts of straightening it out but it has grown on me, it has that game used look to it with the bend in the bar. When I look at the picture of bar shot on the Museum of the American Revolution web site it looks so pristine, still, a beautiful untouched bench warmer. My bent rusted shot screams action. Leave it be or straighten it. What do you think?
https://www.amrevmuseum.org › collection › bar-shot-chain-shot-and-cannonball

The many smalls that filled my paper plate were spread far and wide. My favorite is the King George the III trade weight, my first that is marked from over the pond. Most of the coins were very deep, the ground has very bad drainage that resulted in the coins being almost wiped, a Large Cent, Liberty Cap. Buttons including a general service. A crushed silver spoon bowl with a makers mark of S. P. The gray musket flint stuck out like a soar thumb against the dark ground. Play money depicting, Buffalo Bill from Mazuma gum boxes 1934.

When I arrived home I placed the bar shot on the kitchen table with a paper towel under it and cracked a celebratory beer, I didn't even get a chance to sit when my wife said, get that rusted thing off my table. I retreated to my work shop with my shot and beer in hand and realized that its not my kitchen table anymore.
 

Attachments

  • Bar Shot 2.webp
    Bar Shot 2.webp
    788.1 KB · Views: 263
  • Bar Shot 10 Inche.webp
    Bar Shot 10 Inche.webp
    685.4 KB · Views: 147
  • Plate.webp
    Plate.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 138
  • Trade Weight.webp
    Trade Weight.webp
    251.3 KB · Views: 149
  • B.B..webp
    B.B..webp
    149.6 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Upvote 26
Wow, great finds! The musket flint brought back memories to my very first one. I was detecting a farm field where I had eyeballed a few arrow heads in the past but was finding early 1800s home site relics. Found the flint and put it with my arrow heads thinking it was crude Indian jewelry until I found out what it was:laughing7:
 
I'd leave it as-is. You try to straighten it and it might break in two. Not worth the risk IMO. I might dunk it in Evaporust though, and then some preservative. Up to you on that.
 
Wow, great finds! The musket flint brought back memories to my very first one. I was detecting a farm field where I had eyeballed a few arrow heads in the past but was finding early 1800s home site relics. Found the flint and put it with my arrow heads thinking it was crude Indian jewelry until I found out what it was:laughing7:
Thanks, I would have thought the same thing. It is worked by hand and the frizzen leaves a distinct wear.
 
I'd leave it as-is. You try to straighten it and it might break in two. Not worth the risk IMO. I might dunk it in Evaporust though, and then some preservative. Up to you on that.
Thanks for the reply. Never have tried Evaporust, definitely has a good name. I will look into it.
 
Last edited:
Finding cannon "bar shot" was a total surprise. When I first picked it up I thought, that's the craziest door knob. It took a few seconds for my memory to click in, might as well have been pure gold when it did, rays of light shooting out of it, swear I saw a halo too. Still riding the excitement. The bar shot is 10 inches long and has a diameter of 3 inches, it weighs 3 lbs., 13 ounces. I just started the cleaning process getting it ready for annealing to knock off the rest of the scabby scale. I had thoughts of straightening it out but it has grown on me, it has that game used look to it with the bend in the bar. When I look at the picture of bar shot on the Museum of the American Revolution web site it looks so pristine, still, a beautiful untouched bench warmer. My bent rusted shot screams action. Leave it be or straighten it. What do you think?
https://www.amrevmuseum.org › collection › bar-shot-chain-shot-and-cannonball

The many smalls that filled my paper plate were spread far and wide. My favorite is the King George the III trade weight, my first that is marked from over the pond. Most of the coins were very deep, the ground has very bad drainage that resulted in the coins being almost wiped, a Large Cent, Liberty Cap. Buttons including a general service. A crushed silver spoon bowl with a makers mark of S. P. The gray musket flint stuck out like a soar thumb against the dark ground. Play money depicting, Buffalo Bill from Mazuma gum boxes 1934.

When I arrived home I placed the bar shot on the kitchen table with a paper towel under it and cracked a celebratory beer, I didn't even get a chance to sit when my wife said, get that rusted thing off my table. I retreated to my work shop with my shot and beer in hand and realized that its not my kitchen table anymore.
You did super well Artyfacts. The bar shot is fantastic. I wouldn't attempt to straighten it. As it sits, it has loads of character. In fact, I think it deserves a place of honor in your home. Maybe on your fireplace mantle, or in the center of your dining room table. Somewhere prominent where everyone can thoroughly enjoy this piece of history! Well done on all of your other recoveries too. You had yourself an outstanding day. Cheers!
 
You did super well Artyfacts. The bar shot is fantastic. I wouldn't attempt to straighten it. As it sits, it has loads of character. In fact, I think it deserves a place of honor in your home. Maybe on your fireplace mantle, or in the center of your dining room table. Somewhere prominent where everyone can thoroughly enjoy this piece of history! Well done on all of your other recoveries too. You had yourself an outstanding day. Cheers!
Thank you. It will sit with the rest of my cannon fodder found through the years. This is an epic revolutionary time period piece that deserves to be at the center of my dinning room table, I will stand firm and let the wife know, I will be looking for an apartment right after that.
 
Great finds. Thanks for sharing and Congratulations!
 
Looking sweet. Halfway to completion. Has to be annealed, soaked in a combination of citric acid and disodium EDTA with water for a few days. Final cleaning, than into a hot bath of wax, and brushed.
 

Attachments

  • Cannon Bar Shot.webp
    Cannon Bar Shot.webp
    668.4 KB · Views: 69
Get that rusted thin off my table! I have heard that a few times! Usually I leave my by the sink to dry! lol
 
Still peening the hidden rusted scabs off of the cannon shot. After inspecting the square bar I have determined that the tractors plow has ridden this more times than a wide eyed doe in November. The main two plow strikes left their narrow blade marks on the bar at the two crucial bends, so much for game used action. Whether this was a porch memento or deemed a perfect gate weight, it now cannot remain bent knowing that it has been used by the plow. To the forge it goes...
 
Last edited:
The restoration is now complete. After weeks of peening, the blacksmiths hammer, the hammer was made from hard maple, I guess you could say he put the wood to it, soaked for two days, wire brushes, diamond coated bits, baking soda blasting, iron bluing, and to finish it off brushed filtered wax with a cherry on top. I need a vacation. I know the damage on the bar shot was caused by the plow 100% so I had it partially straightened for display, I feel it was worth it. While I was at it I included my grapeshot and the old key for restoration. These will be going to the Cold Spring Village museum here in Cape May County. Hopefully they will be on display for our 250th anniversary. Happy 4th of July to everyone, may the detecting force be with you.
 

Attachments

  • Shot.webp
    Shot.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 90c.webp
    90c.webp
    77.1 KB · Views: 33

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom