Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope this isnt an issue.... but.. I spent 4 hours in the water yesterday the first two wasnt good. I turned on the detector and it was like someone had the volume turned down..... i could hear but it wasnt the normal blow your ears off over surface targets. In fact targets close to the surface crackled so bad it was hard to tell the tone. It reminds me a lot like VCO where the tone is reduced on large targets. I checked all the cables, tapped the coil, re-installed the battery, nothing changes it much but briefly if i turned it on and off. From what ive read this could be a battery issue. after about 2 hours it seemed to smooth out and i was hunting in the same area so i dont believe it was those conditions. It wasnt giving me highs then lows like trying to tell me the battery was low. Is it possible to OVERCHARGE causing this condition? I havent tried discharging the battery totally by leaving it on then recharging it. I did check the voltage when i got home it was very close to 13V. This has been happening with the crackle of targets, but now the volume was like half the normal and sounded like going over a large piece of iron crackle. Gurus.... give me some ideas?

Dew

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here it is a surprising and unexpected reply from ML service. I talked to ML today who is sending me a repair number and Label to get my Xcal back to them. After speaking to the service rep., who by the way was outstanding, i asked to speak to John in repairs. I explained my problem and the broken cable casing. He said send it in.... we will be replacing the machine NOT fixing it. How about that for service? You have one happy camper here. Down time will be worth it for no more frustrating issues.

Dew

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Dew Glad to hear that, yea you'll have some down time but worth it, glad they got intouch with you, when you have a warrany best to use it. Harold

Lou from downunder

Mar 16, 2009
For what its worth.....
I often snorkel 15-20' with the alkaline pod and have done so for at least a couple of years.
Having said that though...just cause mine doesn't leak doesn't mean that yours wont either.
But I am of the opinion that as long as the O ring is clean and lubed you should have no dramas.

Edit!
Whoops, wrong thread.
Never mind, sure most will work it out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL..... yep im with you on which thread. Thanks..... like i said im going to try one. Besides some days you just never get them dunked out there.

Dew

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What can i say now but crap...... ML sent me an Email after getting my machine and apologized saying i misunderstood. Said they would replace the headphones. I just want it back at this point i guess. But i did reply and tell them there was NO mistake on my behalf. When i was told they would replace it I asked again and was told no we are going to replace it not repair it.... how clear can you get than that? Im not disappointed that its being repaired that was fine and what i expected. I guess ill be happy if it works and they will be happy if it makes it past warranty this time.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure I understand your disappointment since they are replacing the headphones? What did you want them to do?

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH..... i wanted it fixed and expected it fixed. Didnt ask for anything more. We will see if that happens. What i dont like is CS repeatedly saying it was MY misunderstanding in their Emails not that they may have misspoke. Thats not the first time ive be spoken down to by this same CS person. By the way i appreciate your help TH.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dew I see what your saying now, the misunderstanding is that it is the headphones and not the detector that is being replaced. I missed that before..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread