XLT Coil Problems

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I decided to post this here since there is no "Troubleshooting" or similar area on this board. I need a little help with the stock 950 coil that came with my White's Spectrum XLT.

It has worked fine for several years and all of a sudden it is giving me problems. It won't ground balance (sometimes even at waist height), does not read targets correctly and does not pinpoint.

Here are some of the VDIs that it gives me using the stock "Coins & Jewelry" program:

Large 1? +36 (Pull Tab / Ring)
Indian Head 1? +14 (Foil / Ring)
Wheat 1? +22 (5? / Ring)
5? -16 (Nail)
Silver 10? +27 (5? / Ring)
Silver 25? +32 (Pull Tab / Ring)
Clad 25? +32 (Pull Tab / Ring)
Silver 50? +40 (Pull Tab / Ring)
Clad 50? +40 (Pull Tab / Ring)
Silver $1 +44 (Ring / Pull Tab)
16d Square Nail +71 (1? / 10?)

As you can see, the VDIs are reading about 50 points less than they should (except for the nail).

The problem is not with the detector itself; my other coil works fine. Batteries and voltage are fine.

Is there any hope for this coil or should I just replace it? What could have happened to it?

Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds right to me.

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 244
  • question.jpg
    question.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 255

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I can think of you can check easily is the connector and pins, they could have some corrosion on them. HH and I hope you get it worked out, Mike

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Wow the calibration seems to be off. How much has it been bumped around over the years. You might want to reboot it. Take it outside turn it on for ten minutes pull the battery out of the back of it while it's on. Make sure the trigger isn't flipped forward. There could be interference around somewhere. That's why it's not ground balancing out. Or alot of hot rock and iron in the ground. Try it around in a few locations to make sure these aren't the problems. It will ground balance it self out. It will catch up with the machine if you can't get it to balance out manually.

It sounds like to me that your freq need adjusted. Send it to white's if all problems persist. They will reprogram it and get it iding properly again. Cost if not under warranty probably 75.00 shipping included. Bad coil on it depending if it can be repaired around the same price I would think. Check wires for cuts and make sure all your little metal prongs on the end of the plug that screw into the box are all good and not broke off or bent up. May even be dirt in there. Check the housing at the bottom of the coil also. Make sure it's screwed into the coil and there are no cuts.

Your detector is off extremely bad reading targets in those vdi ranges. Do all of the above and see what happens. If all else fails ship it to white's. It will come back brand new again. Hope this helps been through it a handful of times.

HH Jer

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since your other coil is reading fine, have you checked the coil housing to see if it might be worn thru, checked the cable leading up to the box, and as was previously stated, any corrosion on the connecting pins.

OP
OP
Klaatu

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks, guys.

Nope, no niticeable physical damage to the coil. I haven't banged it around excessively. I guess it just died. Things break. So I ordered a new one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread