XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Orx.

Why: It really depends if you are coin shooting or relic hunting to a certain extent. Overall, I prefer to have a display with any XP SETUP (Orx or Deus) not for target ID but because it gives you pinpoint ability, mineralization level, ground level, and iron probability displays. Those are key to knowing how to set up your detector for different environments and types of hunting.

The Deus lite setup functionally works but really is designed for people who already have the remote to enable easier coil programming and setup. Once you have the Deus setup with the right tones and settings based on mineralization you can get away with just the headset (unless you need the pinpoint feature) for a detecting session if need be (works especially well if you want to "create " a second basic backup detector for someone, just need the coil and headphones). But to have no remote at all, really makes the Deus lite very limited, almost crippled.

If recommending a way to go for someone else who is considering the Deus Lite vs. the Orx = I would always recommend the Orx as the better overall setup.

That being said, if you are specifically doing coin shooting in park or ball field settings where there is a lot of aluminum trash, full tones is the best audio setup and you can only get that with the Deus lite setup - so for a pure coin shooter, I might recommend the Deus Lite.

The full up Deus setup is ideal, though. I think it is somewhat overpriced these days considering the other detectors you can get for that amount of money, but it is my favorite detector. If you can get a good deal on a used controller, that is the best way to go.

Last edited:

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
What Vferrari Said...
Although I hunt by tones I would still want a controler to make adjustments.

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I appreciate your opinion on this. I thought I might keep the spare Orx shaft/ handle , 9” X35 and WS4 in the car where I would never be without a detector. But I definitely consider my Orx with 9” high frequency coil and WS Audio headphones the preferred setup for all types of detecting. I also have my two equinox 600’s ( one with 11” coil on foldable carbon fiber shaft, and the other with 6” coil and on the Steve H. Telescoping shaft) And I just got a g2+ as well.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G2+ great little 19 khz detector (identical to the Fisher F19 and the Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Pro) with a LOT of great accessory coil choices. I picked one up too for less than $300 new because it was pink camo, I guess. Just covered it up and am good to go with a detector that normally retails for a lot more.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Vferrari Said...
Although I hunt by tones I would still want a controler to make adjustments.

Yep. Deus is all about the audio. When I use pitch mode, however, that somewhat ties me to the TID display. I basically don't need TID when in multi tones or full tones and just go with the audio.

And that is why the Orx falls just short since it is limited to 3 tones in coin mode. I can live with all the other simplifications of Orx, limited memory slots, non-movable tone breaks, inability to independently adjust iron audio levels and silencer, no tracking GB, etc. However, if Orx had full tones and pitch tones as an option to the fixed-breakpoint 3 tones, I would actually recommend it over the Deus based on the functionally you get for the price even with all the other feature limitations. XP missed it by a hair. Probably intentionally because if the tone options were available for Orx, I suspect Deus sales would seriously suffer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agree it was intentional they had to protect their flagship somehow.
My dealer first thought mine was green camo then sent an email saying he was mistaken it was pinky and offered to cancel order but I didn’t. Doesn’t really strike me as pink but a ruddy-purplish camo and I can live with it as long as I use my hello kitty digging pouch and Mickey Mouse pinpointer, lol.
I got a used sharpshooter for less than half retail trying to decide which to make my main coil.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree it was intentional they had to protect their flagship somehow.
My dealer first thought mine was green camo then sent an email saying he was mistaken it was pinky and offered to cancel order but I didn’t. Doesn’t really strike me as pink but a ruddy-purplish camo and I can live with it as long as I use my hello kitty digging pouch and Mickey Mouse pinpointer, lol.
I got a used sharpshooter for less than half retail trying to decide which to make my main coil.

I'm trying some different coils too. I've got the NEL Hunter on there now and like it.

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Took the Orx to a friends 1720’s house in CT two weeks ago
and it worked well for me - except he has invisible dog fence and I couldn’t
use it at lower frequencies cause the fence caused interference. Found surprisingly
little there bc either well detected already or highly landscaped. Did well in a
nearby lot which had two cellar holes, however. Also saw many more areas I could
hit on future trips.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The ORX may be limited in comparison to the Deus, but for gold prospecting, the ORX is a winner. Out of the water it has become my go-to machine for nugget hunting. I've found targets through 3" of pure black sand deposits. I'm very impressed with it.

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well the Orx was developed to be primarily a gold prospecting machine called Depar xp modified it to general detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread