🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got really into water hunting this past year and spent a couple hundred hours waist deep hunting last summer. I have mentioned this on here before, but I used the XP waterproof kit because it was a cheap insurance policy in case something got flooded. I had a friend whose remote got flooded using the XP kit and it was replaced under warranty. Most of us also have the Aryca cases, which are much better made, but I only used the XP case when I would take it to the water. Since I didn't really trust the XP made case, I would wear it on my arm and very rarely would I dunk it.

Anyway, I was cleaning up my garage and went to put the waterproof case away and realized it was easy to squeeze the air out of it... there is a tear in the case where the arm band is attached on the back. Luckily I didn't use it fully submerged like it is intended to be used, otherwise I would probably also have a dunked remote and a warranty case to deal with.

I am sure that the XP waterproof case could be replaced for free under warranty, however because I enjoyed water hunting so much, I purchased a dedicated water machine at the end of last summer... an AT Max. I wanted something I didn't need to worry about and could pull from a box and toss into the water... now that I knew I enjoyed water hunting, a more suited machine was in store. So my Deus is retired from water hunting, although I would prefer to use my Deus... just the risk of the water proofing options are just not worth it. But it did pretty amazing in the water and I hope the Max can do as well...

So if anyone uses the XP Waterproof kit, keep an eye on the case for tears! Its a great option for an occasional water hunt, but I wouldn't recommend using it as much as I did.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. The claptrap required to both keep the Deus dry and to enable the rf signal to get from the coil to the audio interface is one of the reasons why I am considering the Equinox. The Aryca case did great protecting my Deus remote in the rain and muck of the second trip to the relic farm I documented in another post. Wish I had taken a pic of the case covered in a nice mud film. Brad - hopefully we get a chance to bake off the Max vs. the Equinox in some head-to-head backwoods water hunting this season.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. The claptrap required to both keep the Deus dry and to enable the rf signal to get from the coil to the audio interface is one of the reasons why I am considering the Equinox. The Aryca case did great protecting my Deus remote in the rain and muck of the second trip to the relic farm I documented in another post. Wish I had taken a pic of the case covered in a nice mud film. Brad - hopefully we get a chance to bake off the Max vs. the Equinox in some head-to-head backwoods water hunting this season.

Oh, we will! But I may also have an Equinox too by then. haha I was torn on getting an AT machine or waiting for the Equinox. I went with the tried and true AT tech, rather then the ML latest and greatest. But I will certainly own an Equinox soon... its worth it to be because of how much I enjoy water hunting now. However, if XP would make a waterproof Deus (out of the box) then all other machines would go bye bye :laughing7:

That said, I had no issues with the Deus in the water. The antenna cable from the coil to the armband worked fine for me and didnt bother me one bit. Since I was waist deep only, I could touch the bottom with my arms and keep my head and remote out... so I used my WS4's with no issues at all. What I am excited about with the Max is everything is waterproof... so more hunting at any depth and less worrying about breaking my machine. Oh there was that one time I drove an hour and a half, waded a few hundred yards up a river, went to take out my machine and realized my antenna wire was sitting on my workbench at home.... wasted trip!! That was the only issue I had with the Deus in the water. haha

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Good heads up on the xp case. Thanks. Precisely the reason for a dedicated water detector. Equinox ordered.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my remote get wet then I had it replaced because of a tear in the bag. No problems, Moe took care of it. The scariest part for me was trying to load my super secret program back in. Lol I also have the Excal which kept me in the water. But really I much rather have my XP Deus in the water. I have learned to keep an eye out for water infiltration.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had my remote get wet then I had it replaced because of a tear in the bag. No problems, Moe took care of it. The scariest part for me was trying to load my super secret program back in. Lol I also have the Excal which kept me in the water. But really I much rather have my XP Deus in the water. I have learned to keep an eye out for water infiltration.

Hey man, you are the friend I was referring to... and you are the reason I only use the XP water kit when in the water :icon_thumleft: When you told me that and how they replaced the remote and bag under warranty, I decided it was the best insurance policy to use the XP stuff. I would also prefer to use my Deus in the water, but I really wanted something made for it out of the box... with fullsized amphibious headphones. That's why I grabbed a Max. If XP ever made a waterproof version of the Deus (with wires and amphibious headphones), I would ditch all others and buy one of those in a second.

Hope all's well Brad... I didn't get out much this fall and I haven't been on tnet much either. Hopefully that changes this spring. :occasion14:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to see you posting OA. I haven't seen you in a while. I hope that you are well sir.

I got the Dues waterproof kit, but I didn't trust it, looked like something a 12 YO girl put together, so I used my old AT Pro in the water.

GL and I look forward to your posts.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey man, you are the friend I was referring to... and you are the reason I only use the XP water kit when in the water :icon_thumleft: When you told me that and how they replaced the remote and bag under warranty, I decided it was the best insurance policy to use the XP stuff. I would also prefer to use my Deus in the water, but I really wanted something made for it out of the box... with fullsized amphibious headphones. That's why I grabbed a Max. If XP ever made a waterproof version of the Deus (with wires and amphibious headphones), I would ditch all others and buy one of those in a second.

Hope all's well Brad... I didn't get out much this fall and I haven't been on tnet much either. Hopefully that changes this spring. :occasion14:

Good to see you posting OA. I haven't seen you in a while. I hope that you are well sir.

I got the Dues waterproof kit, but I didn't trust it, looked like something a 12 YO girl put together, so I used my old AT Pro in the water.

No guts no glory! lol

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I assume you are referring to freshwater hunting here, can’t imagine the Deus outperforming an Excal in saltwater.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks Tom! I'm doing great, hope you are too man. The XP kit is chintzy no doubt... Brad's story was the only reason I used it to retain warranty for WHEN it got flooded. Had I used it this spring, that is just what would have happened. I wish they made their kit with an Aryca style case that was more durable... with the headphone wire coming out of it. I could make that, but again it probably would NOT be covered under warranty if it got flooded.

Here are some of my better finds for the summer

IMG_20180105_154642.jpg

This is off topic from my original post, but I stopped posting on here because of the modified "edit policy" on our posts. I must be turning into a grumpy old man... but it was bothering me that I lose ownership of my posts after 24 hours. I couldn't edit them to update information at a later time without PMing a mod. The reason they changed the policy was because someone left the forum and deleted all their posts... so now we all get screwed because of it. I would never delete my content on here, but I want to have control over editing it. Between photos, editing and writing... you know how long my posts were on here. So I felt like my tnet posts, that would take me 2+ hours to write, were being taken to generate ad revenue for a website... if that's not the case, then I'd love to hear why the edit policy was changed and why they care so much that someone deleted their own content!! So I decided to spend those hours it took to write a post for tnet, and do something else that would be more productive for me after a hunt. So that's why I haven't been around and didn't post.

No guts no glory! lol

No doubt! hahaha

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I assume you are referring to freshwater hunting here, can’t imagine the Deus outperforming an Excal in saltwater.

I'm believe he does freshwater. I've tried to tame the Deus on salt beach and salt marsh a couple times before switching to my GPX in those conditions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread