Xterra 70 coil

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
I've been away from this site and metal detecting for awhile and thinking of getting back into both. Please bear with me, but I need some advice. I have an Xterra 70 that I purchased about 11 or 12 years ago. Used it some, but the "flutey" Minelab tones were hard for me to decipher (I cut my teeth on Garrett machines and was used to the constant "buzz" tone). I was in Illinois when I got the Xterra and have since moved to central Virginia (yep, red clay soils). I've determined that I'm going to finally get comfortable with this machine. I have the concentric 9" 7.5kz coil and the 6" DD 18.75kz coil. Been reading a bit on here lately and it sounds like the DD 7.5kz would be a better choice for all around coin and relic hunting. I think I'm going to pick up another coil to test that theory. Here's where your advice comes in. Would you recommend the 10.5" DD 7.5kz or one of the larger DD coils in that frequency? Would a larger 15" All Terrain DD coil be better than the 10.5"? Also, I noted that Minelab, Coiltech and Magic offer larger "open" DD coils. The Minelab All Terrain is made in Malaysia, but says it's Minelab. I understand the Coiltech coils are made in Australia, but are top quality. The Magic coils are substantially less expensive, but made in Russia. Please take pity on someone trying to get back into the game and let me know what your collective experience says about these choices. Thanks.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I think I'd save up and get a more suitable machine for your soil and not spend more money on a detector that will have a hard time in that environment. I know, it's expensive to do it right, but, it's also very frustrating when you don't. In the VLF world, I'd go with either a Deus (if iron masking is a problem) or the Equinox. Both are going to be about the best you can do in that red clay. PI machines work best, but, plan on digging everything. If you insist on adding a coil to your X70, I like the Coiltek coils too. They partnered with Minelab and are built right and to specs. The NEL Sharpshooter is a pretty good coil too if the size is right for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Thanks for the info. I've been considering a new detector, but this time around, I'd like to test one first. I like the Xterra, and I know from others that it is a capable machine. However, I still have not gotten used to the "flutey" sounds and lack of smoothness in the responses. I have watched some videos of the Equinox 800, and side by side comparisons of it to the Xterra. It seems to be much more stable (less choppy and flutey on targets). I may have to look around and see if there are any dealers in Virginia that will allow you to test one before buying.

OP
OP
C

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Ok, I had an opportunity to try the Minelab 10.5" DD 7.5 kHz coil and found that I do like it in my soils. The question is how does it compare to the 15" All Terrain DD 7.5 kHz coil? The All Terrain coil gives greater coverage AND is waterproof. Anyone have any experience with both coils? Any info is appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread